Tascam BR-20T Story...

Oh, and I'm a guitarist. Have been in various bands, and have always been interested in recording and mixing. I have remixed a few of our songs which we tracked in 2005 having no idea of mic placement, levels and whatnot. I invite you both to have a quick listen to it at soundcloud. All mixes "in-the-box" 16 to 19 tracks. No limiting on 2-bus. I tried to get out of it what I could but the source material was pretty bad. The snare for example is just dead The band split in 2006 and I do some blueish Garage-Country-Kick-Ass-Cow-Punk-Rock-Rock-Rock now. Myspace tracks are pretty rough just a mic and an old MD-recorder in the middle of the room. Looking very much forward to do some serious tracking with the guys.

Tim, listened through all the linked material and thoroughly enjoyed it all...great sounds. I think you're really going to make good use of your M-3500/ATR60/Micro Lynx rig. Can't wait to hear more as you pull things together. It'll be fun. ;) I really liked "Eyes of Fools".

Last edited:
While we're sharing, here is a wma excerpt from a multitrack jam session I did with a bass player and guitarist in '96...improvised-grungey-art-rock direct to 6 tracks of an ADAT...project never got off the ground...never got past very rough mixes but your crunchy guitar brought me back...its all instrumental, and if it seems like it goes on forever, it does... :o

Last edited:
While we're sharing, here is a wma excerpt from a multitrack jam session I did with a bass player and guitarist in '96...improvised-grungey-art-rock direct to 6 tracks of an ADAT...project never got off the ground...never got past very rough mixes but your crunchy guitar brought me back...its all instrumental, and if it seems like it goes on forever, it does... :o

Awesome Cory! I enjoy music that's a bit on the experimental side sound-wise. I'm listening as I type, 4 minutes and running. Nice blend of instruments! The track says "Dusty's Mix #1A", was "Dusty" your nick back then? Funny, our bass player is called Dusty. :)

I will look into the connector clearance issue later. Thanks for raising my awareness! ;)

Cheers
Tim

Heheh...we had all sorts of stupid ideas...some of the music was pretty tounge-in-cheek rediculous...a real blend...some Ventures inspired...actually a really wide swath of inspirations in the trio. I did A LOT of improvised music in college. So we didn't take ourselves seriously at all. Came up with stage names...Danforth Spoob on bass, Dusty Pancreas on drums (me) and...hm...been too long. Can't recall the spoof name for the guitar player. Anyway, you get the idea...:D:drunk::rolleyes:

A genuine thanks for listening. :o

Cory,

After viewing the video, I'd say you are all set now. Good luck.

Danny

Last edited:
Hey Cory,

yeah the video looks really fine. Let's hope the audio will stay in pitch.

Danny, I tried some more settings with the ACG card and I have to say I really like the idea of of the sample position feedback. I tried both settings as described for Pro Tools in chapter 9 but with Reaper instead with a 48kHz setting, IntFixed Reference and ACG servo for MIDI Resolve. I run with 30Hz MTC into the micro lynx. The MIDI stat shows the expected .03Hz drift but "M" and "t" lock almost immediately. Still, I don't know if it really does what I want it to do. I'll hopefully know, when I connect the atr and do some recording tests. Slaving the DAW did work nicely, too. For both setups I connected a 75 Ohm BNC cable from the microlynx's WORD OUT to my DELTA 1010's clock in. For now I'd be limited to 48kHz but I think I can live with it, if the lynx's reference clock is on par with the DELTA's. I'll have some comparing to do. Maybe I'll be ok with 48kHz/24bit for a while. I think I can upgrade the microlynx to 96kHz by using a word clock converter/distributor like the Lucid GENx192 to upconvert the signal to 96kHz on the second channel and "clean up" the micrlynx's word clock signal in the process. I asked in the digital recording forum about that in a new thread.

Oh, and I have tested the IntVar speed reference to see what happens to the DAW's transport when I increase the speed to e.g. 104% in the lynx's settings while the DAW is slaved. Without the DELTA 1010 locked to the external word clock reference, Reaper tries to keep up with the speedy MTC and stutters. Very ugly. With the ACG word clock as the DELTA's external reference, the audio would speed up nicely just like it would with a tape deck. Pitch shift and all. No dropouts, clicks, stutters, nothing. Seemed to be very stable. The DAW behaved just like a multitrack tape recorder. I love that synchronizer!

Cheers
Tim

Hey Cory,

yeah the video looks really fine. Let's hope the audio will stay in pitch.

Danny, I tried some more settings with the ACG card and I have to say I really like the idea of of the sample position feedback. I tried both settings as described for Pro Tools in chapter 9 but with Reaper instead with a 48kHz setting, IntFixed Reference and ACG servo for MIDI Resolve. I run with 30Hz MTC into the micro lynx. The MIDI stat shows the expected .03Hz drift but "M" and "t" lock almost immediately. Still, I don't know if it really does what I want it to do. I'll hopefully know, when I connect the atr and do some recording tests. Slaving the DAW did work nicely, too. For both setups I connected a 75 Ohm BNC cable from the microlynx's WORD OUT to my DELTA 1010's clock in. For now I'd be limited to 48kHz but I think I can live with it, if the lynx's reference clock is on par with the DELTA's. I'll have some comparing to do. Maybe I'll be ok with 48kHz/24bit for a while. I think I can upgrade the microlynx to 96kHz by using a word clock converter/distributor like the Lucid GENx192 to upconvert the signal to 96kHz on the second channel and "clean up" the micrlynx's word clock signal in the process. I asked in the digital recording forum about that in a new thread.

Oh, and I have tested the IntVar speed reference to see what happens to the DAW's transport when I increase the speed to e.g. 104% in the lynx's settings while the DAW is slaved. Without the DELTA 1010 locked to the external word clock reference, Reaper tries to keep up with the speedy MTC and stutters. Very ugly. With the ACG word clock as the DELTA's external reference, the audio would speed up nicely just like it would with a tape deck. Pitch shift and all. No dropouts, clicks, stutters, nothing. Seemed to be very stable. The DAW behaved just like a multitrack tape recorder. I love that synchronizer!

Cheers
Tim

Tim ,

I did a lot of research on the different systems that are out there before I bought a Microlynx and personally, I believe that Microlynx is the best of the best.

I suspect the ACG card is a very stable clock. It would have to be first class if it was ok to use with Avid and Digidesign. I may plug a BNC cable into my Lynx Aurora convertors just to hear what happens, but I just got the Aurora about a month ago and for the first time since I have been using digital gear (about 10 years), digital audio just sounds awesome. The Tascam IF/FW for the DM24 was ok for sure, but man I love the sound the the Aurora. Cymbals just sound like cymbals. Amazing soundstage and definition.

I haven't recorded anything at 96k yet. I did some tests, that was all. But 48k sounds great to my tired and damaged ears. I guess spent way to many years on the road playing in hotel lounges with a guitar player that sat his cabinet on top of my Leslie cabinet, which usually sat directly behind me.

I know that it is a sickening sound to hear a DAW that is varispeed-ed. (is that a word?)
That's why it was so important to me to find a quality system that could sync to MTC.

But please, let us know your final configuration. OK ?

Danny

Wow...Tim...that is outrageous (whipping the DAW into submission and making it behave like a tape recorder...)

It reminds me of something I was going to say earlier: the Micro Lynx is mid-90's vintage, right? I think its pretty phenomenal that a 15 +/- year old device can do what it does in interfacing with older gear and interfacing, dynamically, with contemporary equipment. Yes I realize it does so over a very old standard (MIDI) which certainly has its limitations, but you put that ACG card in and my goodness...it's a force with which to be reckoned...

Oooooooooooooooooo!!! :eek:

Tascam still has guides, lifters and heads in stock for the BR-20/20T!

When the lifters are parked there is a really close tolerance between the lifters and the tape...makes me a little concerned about trying to get a sleeve in there, and I haven't taken it apart yet to see about turning the lifters, but, check it: A new set of lifters is under $20USD +S&H, so I think I'm going to do that. Guides are under $10 apiece which is also good but I figure It'll be good enough to reposition what's on the deck assuming they are like other fixed guides on other Teac decks I've messed with where a fastener can be loosened, the guide rotated and refastened...after I get the guides and lifters taken care of then I'll see how things are running on the heads that are on it now...I know they could stand a relap and I'd like to do that with Ethan at some point, but it is also tempting to get a new set of heads, or at least a new 3-track head...the 2-track head is the same as is on the 32/42/52 etc., so there are bound to be plenty of those on the used market in good to great condition...$160 for a 3-track head.

This is good though...being able to drop a new set of lifters in there will be quick and will take care of a major issue with little downtime.

Me likey my BR-20T.

If had one of those recorders I would not hesitate put that baby in as like new condition as possible. I would probably even get it to Tascam and let them do it. I have looked for one that is like new for some time and just can't locate one. In the meantime, I''ll keep using my trusy old Otari. I have been try to get a resonably price Dolby 363 for it but the prices for those things are all over the place for some reason.

Last edited:
Man, TASCAM rocks for still having parts available and reasonably priced too.

Yeah, Daniel, isn't that something? I have to say I was hopeful when I sent the email off late last night to check price and availability of (particularly) the lifters, but it was such a "Yahoo! Tascam does it again!" feeling when the email came back early this afternoon with everything in stock and the prices on the lifters so wonderfully reasonable. Tascam's got the package deal for me with this deck. It just fits all around...and funny that it was a spontaneous acquisition on the way back up from southern California when I picked up the M-__. For all my wanderings I got at least one thing right.

Hey, here's a tidbit for you fellow conservative hobbyist gear hackers...I'm going to be putting in a Mouser order in the next month or so and I was thinking about picking up some 5532 chips to have on hand, maybe for the M-__ or possibly my CRL multiband dynamics units...I like how they sound and they are, like, just over $0.50 each for TI branded versions...anyway, so I was looking to see if, down the road, I might look at upgrading any of the chips in the BR-20. The BR-20 is loaded with 4570 chips in the audio path...not familiar with those, but I read that Jim Williams refers to them as a 5532 variant with lower output. So not "boutique" opamps but not cheapies either, and the 5532 is still a well-regarded chip which is impressive considering its age. Looks like the slew rate might be a little less with the 4570, and certainly they draw less power with the lower output characteristics...but it sounds like they are a 5532 flavored opamp which means I'm going to leave them alone. I'm not sure what it is about the 5532 that I like, but they just sound nice and natural. I really think my ears are not tuned for really fast newer chips, and it certainly has much to do with the rest of my gear chain and such, but those two channel strips I decked out with OPA2134's and LME49680's in the M-__ mixer just sound kind of sharp. Maybe the word is accurate? I don't know, but for a guy that loves sloppy ambiance maybe accurate doesn't matter so much...I haven't done any stereo A/B comparisons with those refurb'ed channel strips though and I bet there'd be some improvements in the stereo field. Probably has something to do with the rest of the circuit topology somewhere on the channel too if one or more of the chips is not performing well because of the surrounding components...you can't always just drop new chips in and expect gold to come pouring out of the jacks which is why I socketed the positions I upgraded...but when I listen to an M-300 board it just sounds strong and natural, and that's all 5532's basically.

Neat.

I can see the lower output being an issue for a mixer where you may want/need drive, but a tape deck is a more controlled input/output path typically limited by the tape. That is not necessarily always the case for sure, but I absolutely buried the VU's on the BR-20 in subjective testing and the audio was smooth as can be. I don't know for sure but I believe the deck and meters are setup for 250nWb/m and I'm running SM900. Still need to cal the BR. I wasn't comfortable abusing the meters further to see if I could start hitting audible (to me) MOL on the SM-900. IOW, the audio circuitry isn't presenting as a weak link as far as headroom, and you have all likely read my subjective impressions on the sound of program material passed through this deck. It sounded great to my ears.

Tim, finally had a chance to take a peek at these...yup...same ones that are available locally here. Keep in mind that these will not latch into the lock tabs on those 3M connectors on the back of the Micro Lynx. I believe you'll have to shave a notch in them, or try to remove the lock tabs or the connectors may not fully seat...just double-check the depth of the connector and make sure that the lock tabs clear the back of the connector or it may be sketchy...

-EDIT-

Just checked...the Molex versions have a depth of 0.600"...the original JAE connector is 0.591" and the notch for the lock tab reduces that further. It may or may not be a problem...not wanting to put a shadow on things, just be aware.

Just an update on the connectors. I decided against the Molex type connectors as they weren't such a good fit. I found better matching ones from Omron and you can even get a nice hood (if you wait 22 weeks for delivery direct from manufacturer). See the Fabricating Timeline Micro Lynx transport cables thread :).

Cheers
Tim

Decisions-decisions...

Trying to decide what parts to get for my BR-20T.

This involves opening 'er up and having a look at some things.

That time is now, since I know the deck functions A-OK and I've got the sync stuff working for me too. Yay!

So lets dive in folks...

The parts I'm trying to decide if I want/need are:

• Spare 3-track sync head
  • Spare 2-track repro head
  • Guides
  • Lifters
The determining factor with the lifters is whether or not they can be turned easily. They cannot. Not impossible, but I'm not going to risk it as they are pressed and riveted in. So those go on the shopping list.

Same determining factor with the guides (i.e. can they be easily turned) and yes they can so I'm going to pass on those even though they are under $10 apiece for new.

Sync head...do I buy a spare 3-track sync head from Tascam while they are still there? This will not be an easy item to find once they stop stocking them. $160 for brand new.

Repro head I'm thinking not...like I said earlier those are so common...I think I'll be able to find a replacement if the day comes even if it is in used relappable condition...Plus I'm still on the lookout for a spare parts deck and it would likely have something of a head on it...

The dress panel comes off easy...8 screws all on the face. I love how the meter panel pivots up to access the trimmers. There is a stay that holds the meter panel in 1 of 3 positions:

IMG_6499_5_1.JPG

IMG_6500_6_1.JPG

Notice that each reeling motor has its own brake solenoid as opposed to the shared center solenoid on many other Teac decks...this makes the brake adjustment a little easier, at least according to the procedure I read in the manual...

I cleaned out behind the meter panel many moons ago when I fixed a dead meter lamp, but this is the first time I've had the dress panel off. I'll be giving it a sweetbeats cleaning:

IMG_6490_1_1.JPG

IMG_6492_3_1.JPG

You can see in that last picture the one lifter sitting loose. Easy to replace that assembly and a nice design too.

Look at how yucky one of the guides is...yuck. Still plenty of good surface on these guides though when rotated...once the dress panel is off there are three 2.5mm socket head cap screws that hold the headblock to the transport and once those are out you just tip it upside-down and each guide is fixed to the block from underneath each with another 2.5mm socket head cap screw. Loosen the screw, turn the guide and tighten the screw...done. I can see in upper and lower wear patterns on the top and bottom of the guide that I may be in need of adjusting the tension arm height too.

IMG_6493_4_1.JPG

Now...heads. I've put up some pics of my heads before, but these might just show a better or different angle or view. These didn't come out very well. BUT...maybe there is less wear on these heads than I thought. Definitely relappable, and maybe more than once at that...

Repro head:

IMG_6497_zoom.JPG

Sync head:

IMG_6494_zoom.JPG

IMG_6495_zoom.JPG

I AM pleased that the wear pattern is very even...no discernable keystoning to my eyes. The sync head has a deeper wear pattern and that may simply be differences in the wrap on the heads. They look gross, but again I haven't given this deck a good cleaning and there is no way to stop the crud getting all over everything because the tape is getting beat up at the edges from the grooves in the heads and lifters (again, I think the tape that wore the grooves was *slightly* more narrow...) The yuck that you see on things is after running through a reel of tape maybe 7 or 8 times with all this sync troubleshooting.

So what do you think, guys? And what do you think about getting some new heads on hand?

I wouldn't be thinking about new heads except that a mastering deck is *such* a vital tool in the analog studio, and I've been around enough equipment and lived with the BR-20T long enough to know that it is a deck with which I am very happy so I plan on keeping it for a long, long time...

*bump*

Anybody have an opinion about whether or not I should go for at least picking up a new 3-track sync head?

Hey Cory,

yes, I have an opinion ;) I'd definitely buy a sync head if you expect them to be hard to obtain in the future and you plan on using the BR-20T for a long time. Now, if you were talking about belts I wouldn't recommend stocking them since they're aging anyway, but I don't see any problem with stocking a head. I'd definitely do it. I'd probably buy a repro and erase head, too, just to be sure, but that's just me. N + 1, you know.

Cheers
Tim

:o

Quoting MYSELF here:

If had one of those recorders I would not hesitate put that baby in as like new condition as possible.

Which means get a new headstack.
You will NEVER put enough time on it to cause any wear after that.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the opinions...

The erase head shows almost NO wear if any at all (I can't see or feel any) because of the material and the relatively large flat surface...It'll have to be low priority. The repro head will remain a low priority as I said earlier, and I'm not sure about the sync head at the moment after our filly climbed her way into the hay shed sometime last night...in the process of trying to get her out of it she got a *bad* laceration on a gate latch...8~9" long and into the fascia...just wrote a check for $500 to the vet for the emergency services...poor-poor girl. Feeling bad. New gate latch to keep it from happening again and we learned something alright.

So money just became very tight for a bit. :o

BUT...I'll be saving for at least a sync head.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

I'm sorry to hear about the accident and I hope everything will turn out good. Incidents like this always take precedence. I don't think that the head stack is that time critical. If you can get one of those heads today, you could probably get one in about half a year, too. I'd just keep it in the back of your head as kind of a long term investment or to protect your investment in this machine over a long time.

Cheers
Tim

Filly is doing good...thanks for the sentiment. ;)

Took 10~15 minutes to clean out the transport...looking better:

IMG_6528_1_1.JPG

Getting the rack with the BR-20T wired up. Not normalling anything in the patchbay yet unitl I work with things a little and see how I typically interface the system with external gear like the 388...so the patchbay is basically just acting as a jack extender.

Made cables up to get the BR-20 I/O jacks in the patchbay...using the balanced jacks because the rest of the gear in the rack has all balanced connections and with the computer and all the various power supplies in there I'm noticing a little noise...may or may not help. Also got a harness made up for the CRL multiband dynamics processors. Here's how the hybrid "portastudio" looks from the back so far:

IMG_6540_2_1.JPG

Back