Tascam BR-20T Story...

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
As if I hadn't already put to many irons in the fire... :o

This is the continuing saga of this thread.

Y'know, next time I start one of those threads where I ask some question like "is this a good piece of equipment" or "is ___ a good price for a ___", just tell me to stop...I always seem to end up buying the thing. :mad:

So yeah, I now have a 1/4" 1/2-track mastering deck for my studio.

In the back of my mind I always thought I'd try and fork out for a 1/2" 1/2-track and save on the MRL and tape stock since I already have those things for my 48 and 58...precision reels too...so I'll be working on obtaining those items in 1/4" variety. :rolleyes:

Looks like there is a spot on the right-hand side of the face that had 80-grit dragged across it :confused:, the top feet on the back are busted off, there are some screws missing on the front and back panels, and the VU's don't light. Other than those mentions it appears to be in good condition and things spin as they should and when they should.

I guess my one main concern is that the heads show some wear. I've been spoiled by the condition of the heads on my 48 and 58. It wouldn't be a concern except that I'm certain the heads for the BR-20T (the 3-track heads) can't be cheap or common.

So did I goof?

Here's the 3-track sync head:

BR-20T%20Sync%20Head.JPG

Here's the repro head:

BR-20T%20Repro%20Head.JPG

Here's another shot of both the sync and repro heads from a different angle:

BR-20T%20Heads.JPG

The front panel:

BR-20T%20Face.JPG

The front panel with pretty lights (except no VU's):

BR-20T%20Lights.JPG

The back panel:

BR-20T%20Back%20Panel.JPG

Those scratches I mentioned above:

BR-20T%20Scratches.JPG

The remote:

RC-402%20Remote.JPG

And the cool rack stand (which was never assembled correctly...at present the locking pin can't do its job because the plate with the holes is on the wrong side :eek:. Anyway, its 14U up top and 7U down below:

BR-20T%20Rack%20Stand.JPG

Last edited:
The 3-track heads - last I saw - were more expensive, but they were available. If not, a regular set of BR-20N heads would work if you don't absolutely need the timecode.

Cory, while obviously not as low ware as your 48 / 58, the heads on that BR20 look reasonable. I may want to align it to compensate for the ware but I think it should spec out nicely. I think it was a reasonable deal and the heads can be had rather cheap new, taken out of a low millage 32 or lapped but I wouldn't do that just yet. Clean the tape path and see how it sounds. Wouldn't surprise me if it was still within spec. ;)

Just the rack and the remote alone are probably worth a couple hundred. I'd say you still got a deal. If you can't find lamps, they're sometimes hard to order or take a while to get (unless you know where to get them) I'd try salvation army or a yard sale for old electronics with VU lamps in them. Good chance you'll find something that will work with it.

If you can't find lamps, they're sometimes hard to order or take a while to get (unless you know where to get them)

Good ideas, though I think I'm just gonna pull some from one of my parts decks...;)...yeah...that's why I have those things. :p

I was surprised to find that the capstan is belt-drive. I thought the more "professional" convention was direct-drive, but the BR-20 series seems every bit a professional deck. Am I incorrect about my perception of belt vs. direct-drive? I thought direct-drive generally offered better flutter specs...

Lots of opinions on the belt-drive issue. turntable people still seem to prefer belts, I personally HATE belts; they stretch and dry out and goo everywhere and are hard to change..... bleh! But if it works it works, so see how it sounds.

AK

I'm not sure about the belt vs direct drive issue. Probably the direct drive IS better. Good question.

Couple more questions...

Am I assuming that if I have the BR-20 connected to a mixer, I would want to have the input and output level controls defeated (i.e. the 'CAL' and 'UNCAL' switches in the 'CAL' position)?

The tape level switch (hi and low)...so is that simply a meter attenuator? In other words, if I cal the deck for 0VU at 250nWb/m with the switch set to 'low', then a 0db signal to tape with the swich set to 'high' will read as -2VU (since the switch relates to 250nWb/m in low, and 320nWb/m in high)?

So, noise reduction.

The BR-20 does not have the Control Signal capability of so many other Tascam decks to interface with the DX-series noise reduction units.

Any particular units that have been used with particular success, or are many BR-20 users not using n/r at all?

BTW, Ethan, the DIN model is indeed only available is a two-track model, and the 3-track timecode model is indeed only available in the NAB 2.0mm track width. Not too suprising. The NAB heads boast 5dB better crosstalk performance though (also no suprise), and what was really interesting to me is that the 3-track timecode NAB head boasts +/-2dB down to 30Hz vs. the standard 2-track NAB head which is rated down to 35Hz +/-2dB...interesting (to me anyway).

WOW...BR-20 heads are not cheap...

The best price I've found so far for the 2-track NAB head new is $275...:eek:

Can't even find the 3-track NAB timecode head...

The relapped heads may actually perform better than new since they'd be optically aligned as a set by JRF Magnetics, but, like brakes on a car, there's only so many times you can turn them before there is too much gone (or lap them).

I was just thinking for the future. I'll align the deck and, as has been said above, it will probably be fine for some time

The relapped heads may actually perform better than new since they'd be optically aligned as a set by JRF Magnetics, but, like brakes on a car, there's only so many times you can turn them before there is too much gone (or lap them).

I was just thinking for the future. I'll align the deck and, as has been said above, it will probably be fine for some time

Gosh, I bet you could relap those yourself with a little help....

I leave mine in Cal position. -10 dBV = 0 VU on all my machines....

DBX - Never used it.

I think you are right about the levels - I'll have to check.

-Ethan

Ethan,

Do you runn 499 equivalent tape on your BR-20?

This is kind of the final frontier for me on the basics of an analog studio; getting the BR-20T.

As I believe I've expunged in other places this all started after completing my first full-length CD project and being frustrated with feeling fenced in dynamically with the digital system, especially with the drums...so I tested my theory on a 238 of questionable condition but was nonetheless extremely encouraged, and shortly after that I brought home my 48 and 58 decks. The intention was to track some sources to analog and dump to digital and continue doing all the post-production and mastering "in-the-box."

Well, as I worked through refurbishing processes with the 58 and became increasingly educated on rudimentary matters of analog production I came to realize that I was going to need an analog board to compliment and drive that 58 and or the 48. In steps the M-520, and at that point I was thinking "now I can really control and shape sounds 'out-of-the-box!'" it was reassuring to know that I had the primary tools to utilize the 58 or 48...and of course...I started thinking "hm...so now do I still dump to the DAW and master in-the-box, or do I look for a half-track mastering deck and dump and then master out-of-the-box, or...leave digital out altogether and track, mix and master all in analog and transfer only to digital for packaging/distribution?"

Boggles the mind, at least mine, but I realized at that point the incredibly vital role the analog mastering deck plays in the process, and the number of options that are restricted by the lack of access to a mastering deck.

So that's where the BR-20T kind of jumped into the picture, but it is exciting to have the final puzzle piece of the elementary puzzle onsite. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the half-track mastering deck is really a different animal somehow than all the multi-track stuff...

The other option that is now available on the pallette with the BR-20T is to build tracks two-at-a-time into the DAW...with the ES-50 synchronizer onsite and the 3rd timecode track I can have the BR-20T chase the DAW, track 2 tracks at a time to the BR-20T, dump to the DAW, FFWD to a blank spot on tape, reset the offset on the synchronizer and track the next pair of tracks. Sounds like a mess to some I'm sure, but the point is that it is an option, and this option would allow the raw analog tracks to remain on tape, and to be able to build a multitrack project in the DAW that has been originally tracked to the equivalent of a standard track-width (as opposed to narrow-track format) multitrack analog recorder (2.0mm track width), and it cost $300 for the recorder.

I'm more or less moving to 499 for the MS16 and the BR-20. As tape stocks allows....

half tracks stand alone (and taller when they are 1/2" half tracks or 1" half tracks) There is just a lot of tape to print to.

In pro formats you have to go to 16 tracks on 2" tape to approach them.I say approach because getting 16 tracks into a 2" head means that the coils need to worry about space. With a half track you have all the space you need.

I currently have 2 half tracks here. The BR, a 32 that I'm working on (will be a good machine just not a great looker) and an ATR-700.

I'll be taking the BR onsite to get some material from a classical Guitarist RSN (real soon now). I'll post links to some of that. No DBX required.

My studio is all analog up to the point of making the first CD on the CDRW-5000....

-Ethan

The best price I've found so far for the 2-track NAB head new is $275...:eek:
Can't even find the 3-track NAB timecode head...

The parts distributor I use seems to have dropped the 20T head as well. The NAB head is about $140, but IIRC that was the price the last time they ordered it, so it might have gone up since then. The capstan belt is apparently discontinued.

It's strange that TEAC has parts for many of their 20 year old recorders [belts, heads] but not for the more recent BR-20. What up with that?:confused:

I just heard back from them and Tascam in Montebello does have the heads...$160 for the 2-track, $190 for the 3-track.

I'm checking on the capstan belt...

OK, looks like the BR-20N and 32 share the same heads. The cost is only about $70 new. Cory, I would be surprised if you couldn't retrofit your 20T with 20N heads. I'd check with TASCAM on that.

Back