Tascam 48 OB, Console, DAW, Interface and convertors connection

temploprods

Hello everyone,

It's a pleasure to greet you all. I'm new to this forum and I appreciate the opportunity to connect with you. I have limited expertise and am seeking guidance for this new endeavor.

A few weeks ago, a friend passed on some equipment that belonged to his father. As a musician, he graciously offered them to me in exchange for putting them to good use. The gear includes a Tascam 48OB in excellent condition, an Apogee x16 DA and AD converter, Technics RS-263 tape deck and an Allen and Heath Zed420 console. I also have an Apollo x4 audio interface and a variety of analog effects.

My initial plan is to use the Tascam 48 for mixing. I'm considering routing 8 tracks from my DAW through the console for EQ and effects, then sending the signal to the Tascam and back to the DAW. Is this feasible?
Another idea is to follow the same setup but, instead of returning directly to the DAW, passing through the cassette deck first and then back to the DAW.

I understand that each approach may have its limitations. However, I'm not entirely sure if this is viable or how to connect everything.

I appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Thank you!

There will be many here with intimate knowledge of some or all of that gear. I do not but a swift check tells me that the Tascam 48-0B and the Technics use -10dBu as their operating level and the Apogee can be set up to do so. The A&H mixer will however operate naturally at +4dBu (0VU) and you might find it easier to hook everything up if the outputs of the mixer are attenuated to -10dBV.

Since you have the Tascam OR for "tape sound" I am not sure what the Technics cassette will bring to the party? You might also investigate patchbays?

Dave.

Hello Dave,

Thank you so much for your prompt and insightful response. I appreciate your help.

Regarding your suggestion to attenuate the outputs of the A&H mixer to -10dBV, I'm wondering if this adjustment could potentially introduce any noise or hiss into the signal. Could you please share your thoughts on this? Additionally, I'm curious if this attenuation is done through a parameter on the console, such as a knob, or if it requires a different configuration.

I completely understand your point about the Technics cassette deck. It might not add a significant enhancement to the setup, but I'm thinking of exploring its potential for some specific applications to see if it adds any unique color to the sound.

As for patchbays, I'm in the early stages of researching their applications. If you have any recommendations or insights on how they could complement my setup, I would be grateful for your guidance.

Thank you once again for your assistance.

Best,
Andrés

Hello everyone,

It's a pleasure to greet you all. I'm new to this forum and I appreciate the opportunity to connect with you. I have limited expertise and am seeking guidance for this new endeavor.

A few weeks ago, a friend passed on some equipment that belonged to his father. As a musician, he graciously offered them to me in exchange for putting them to good use. The gear includes a Tascam 48OB in excellent condition, an Apogee x16 DA and AD converter, Technics RS-263 tape deck and an Allen and Heath Zed420 console. I also have an Apollo x4 audio interface and a variety of analog effects.

My initial plan is to use the Tascam 48 for mixing. I'm considering routing 8 tracks from my DAW through the console for EQ and effects, then sending the signal to the Tascam and back to the DAW.

Well a couple of things about using the Tascam - the Price of 1/2" 8 Track Tape is expensive - and while it is an excellent machine - the maintenance on it is quite involved - are you prepared to do that kind. of maintenance? The Apogee Convertor - how old is it and what is the model? They are decent enough - but I don't think they are up to snuff with the modern convertors - The Technics RS-263 - that's ancient but good cassette technology - not sure if you plan on any recordings with it or not - and the Allen and Heath Zed420 console is great - if you watch your levels and mid/highend - but Allen & Heath is a good piece of kit.

Hello everyone,

My initial plan is to use the Tascam 48 for mixing. I'm considering routing 8 tracks from my DAW through the console for EQ and effects, then sending the signal to the Tascam and back to the DAW. Is this feasible?
Another idea is to follow the same setup but, instead of returning directly to the DAW, passing through the cassette deck first and then back to the DAW.

I understand that each approach may have its limitations. However, I'm not entirely sure if this is viable or how to connect everything.

Thank you!
I fear I have misled you rather! I had assumed that the 480B was, as are most 'semi pro' tape machines, equipped with RCA ins and outs. I have found that in addition it also has XLR ins and outs. Now I cannot find any information of the signal levels at the XLRs but they are balanced and it would be a bit odd if they were not at +4dBu or close to that for 0VU on the meters? For sure our Mr Sweetbeats will be able to tell us if he catches sight!

This likely means that the tape deck will be quite happy to exchange signals with the A&H and the Apogee as mentioned can be setup for any OP level up to +24dBu. Your concern that attenuating to -10dBV might cause a noise problem is not really valid. Pro equipment runs at higher levels to keep signals well above any likely external interference (balancing helps enormously as well of course) Where an enclosed system is designed to work at a lower level there is usually no problem. In any case, where you have a tape machine in the 'mix' you can't be too fussy about noise! The mixer and especially the converters are going to be way, way quieter.

So, you can Plug n Play as you like and find your best operating regime.

Dave.

Last edited:
Well a couple of things about using the Tascam - the Price of 1/2" 8 Track Tape is expensive - and while it is an excellent machine - the maintenance on it is quite involved - are you prepared to do that kind. of maintenance? The Apogee Convertor - how old is it and what is the model? They are decent enough - but I don't think they are up to snuff with the modern convertors - The Technics RS-263 - that's ancient but good cassette technology - not sure if you plan on any recordings with it or not - and the Allen and Heath Zed420 console is great - if you watch your levels and mid/highend - but Allen & Heath is a good piece of kit.
Thank you very much for your insights. Patricio Cleypole will take care of the maintenance aspect, he has a good understanding of the equipment. Regarding the tapes, I'm aware of their cost, and it might be a bit challenging to source them locally... I might need to import them from the States or Europe.

As for the Apogee, I have the x16 DA and x16 AD models (photo attached of the AD. Unfortunately, I couldn't find information on their manufacturing year. Concerning the connection with my Apollo x4 via ADAT, are you suggesting there could be potential issues in compatibility?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-01-24 at 15.35.52.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-24 at 15.35.52.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2
I fear I have misled you rather! I had assumed that the 480B was, as are most 'semi pro' tape machines, equipped with RCA ins and outs. I have found that in addition it also has XLR ins and outs. Now I cannot find any information of the signal levels at the XLRs but they are balanced and it would be a bit odd if they were not at +4dBu or close to that for 0VU on the meters? For sure our Mr Sweetbeats will be able to tell us if he catches sight!

This likely means that the tape deck will be quite happy to exchange signals with the A&H and the Apogee as mentioned can be setup for any OP level up to +24dBu. Your concern that attenuating to -10dBV might cause a noise problem is not really valid. Pro equipment runs at higher levels to keep signals well above any likely external interference (balancing helps enormously as well of course) Where an enclosed system is designed to work at a lower level there is usually no problem. In any case, where you have a tape machine in the 'mix' you can't be too fussy about noise! The mixer and especially the converters are going to be way, way quieter.

So, you can Plug n Play as you like and find your best operating regime.

Dave.
Thank you so much for this response and the excellent news. I'll be on the lookout for Mr. Sweetbeats in case he comes across this post :)

Thank you very much for your insights. Patricio Cleypole will take care of the maintenance aspect, he has a good understanding of the equipment. Regarding the tapes, I'm aware of their cost, and it might be a bit challenging to source them locally... I might need to import them from the States or Europe.
Oh...where are you?
As for the Apogee, I have the x16 DA and x16 AD models (photo attached of the AD. Unfortunately, I couldn't find information on their manufacturing year. Concerning the connection with my Apollo x4 via ADAT, are you suggesting there could be potential issues in compatibility?
No issues - just that the Apogee Convertors are quite as good as the newer Apollo convertors.

Oh...where are you?

No issues - just that the Apogee Convertors are quite as good as the newer Apollo convertors.
Apollo x4: "Digital: 8 Inputs / 8 Outputs at 48 kHz"
Its possible to connect both convertors via ADAT to the x4?
Case positive, I understand that I can only use 8 out of the 16 channels. I would like to have access to all 16 channels, mainly for mixing. What would be necessary to incorporate in this case? Another interface and connect it via thunderbolt 3 to the x4?
Should I sell the x4 and buy another interface that comes with more features to be able to use the 16 channels of each the converters?
I appreciate your insights.

ADAT only allows up to 8 inputs and outputs per pair of optical ports and so yes, to run 16 I/Os you would need another Apollo 4x interface and, AFAICT that would be possible with TB. However, that means duplicating many functions that you may not need and so it might be operationally better to get an interface with two sets of ADAT ports?
If you went that route there is no better interface in lots of ways IMHO than one from RME.

The above is one such. Lot of money yes, but another Apollo 4X would not be cheap and the FF 802 would I think be much more versatile. There is also a thriving market on very reliable second hand RME kit.

Dave.

Last edited:
Back