Tapco Vs Mackie

Agent47

Dismember
Ok, I need a small format mixer with 3 mic ins (with pres) for portable recording, like 3-voice podcast/radio discussions. Tape in/out and a socket for my headphones, so I can record to a flash recorder etc.

I've been looking at the Tapco Mix 120 and the Mackie 802-VLZ3, because they're small, tough and portable.

I have a Mackie at home and the mic pres I've found are nice and clean. Anyone know how the Tapcos match up? I know they're made by Mackie, but are the pres less good?

Problem:

Tapco Mix 120 - £90
Mackie 802-VLZ3 - £200

If spoken-voice, to be played thru FM radio, is your only use, I would save my money and go with the TAPCO. The medium (FM radio) will limit your fidelity, and anyway spoken voice is not a wide-frequency hog.

That's interesting, thanks. Never thought of that before.

Although the vast majority of this will be podcast work, so I'm expected low-bitrates at the end. I'm just worried about noisy pre-amps mainly.

I have the tapco 120, and an Alesis Firewire 8 channel mixer. I find that i get a good sound out of the Tapco, and would recommend it against anything else in that price range that I've ever tried. Wouldn't worry about noisy preamps.

Back