Sunset Rhapsody - mix feedback?

PorterhouseMusic

Mitakuye Oyasin
Edited: this is a slightly improved mix (hopefully). 7pm, 12/10/23

I've entered this track in an amateur song contest - not going to spend a lot of time on it but if there is something glaringly bad or something way off about this mix please feel free to chime in with feedback. EQ, compression, relative instrument level(s) etc....

Thank you in advance :-)

Last edited:
Overall, I think it sounds good. I like the snare sound.

Nothing 'glaringly' bad. I do find something about the low mid's a bit 'blurry'. I notice it most when the two
hard panned rhythm guitars come in.

Also, volume wise, It might be a bit quieter? I couldn't download the track to analyze it, but guessing it's in the 14LUFS range? I know some of these online music sites limit stuff as a matter of course, but I compared it to some other SoundCloud songs, and they were louder, so it isn't totally that. Anyway, I think you could make it a little bit louder without squashing the life out of it, that's all.

Really good guitar playing, and performances - tight. Is it meant to be an instrumental or do you plan to put vocals on it?

Edited to add, the intro reminded me of 'Limelight' by RUSH! Interesting riff you got going on there.

Overall, I think it sounds good. I like the snare sound.

Nothing 'glaringly' bad. I do find something about the low mid's a bit 'blurry'. I notice it most when the two
hard panned rhythm guitars come in.

Also, volume wise, It might be a bit quieter? I couldn't download the track to analyze it, but guessing it's in the 14LUFS range? I know some of these online music sites limit stuff as a matter of course, but I compared it to some other SoundCloud songs, and they were louder, so it isn't totally that. Anyway, I think you could make it a little bit louder without squashing the life out of it, that's all.

Really good guitar playing, and performances - tight. Is it meant to be an instrumental or do you plan to put vocals on it?

Edited to add, the intro reminded me of 'Limelight' by RUSH! Interesting riff you got going on there.
Thanks Eric :thumbs up:

Everything seemed to sit well. My only comment is check the overall mix in the 250-350 range. Probably might benefit from some scooping there on the master bus. It isn't bad now, I think it wold be just make it bit more tighter sounding.

Good performance/recording.

Thanks Dave. I haven't done any "heavy rock" type of thing for a long time - this was fun.

Everything seemed to sit well. My only comment is check the overall mix in the 250-350 range. Probably might benefit from some scooping there on the master bus. It isn't bad now, I think it wold be just make it bit more tighter sounding.

Good performance/recording.
Thank you.

I think what DM60 is hearing is a real "boxy" cabinet tone on the opening guitar riff and rhythm.
I like it, sounds mic'd. However, the distortion tone is a bit sharp and "crunchy"... but I can live with that too lol.
Nice Jam! 8-)

Listened with iem’s and I’m finding it surprisingly clean considering all of the different distortion tones together. Sounds great and nice playing. the ending made me smile.
Guy

Real tight playing. Drum sounds and drum programming are nice.

Lead/riff guitar sounds OK. I get just a bit of a nasly and buzzy sound to it. Personal preference. Later on in the tune it started sound better to me.

The doubled/hardpanned guitars are a little indistinct. They're a little muddy and cloudy. i don't know if EQ is going to really fix that.

Bass sounds pretty decent. Tight enough sounding - not muddy or anything.

Real tight playing. Drum sounds and drum programming are nice.

Lead/riff guitar sounds OK. I get just a bit of a nasly and buzzy sound to it. Personal preference. Later on in the tune it started sound better to me.

The doubled/hardpanned guitars are a little indistinct. They're a little muddy and cloudy. i don't know if EQ is going to really fix that.

Bass sounds pretty decent. Tight enough sounding - not muddy or anything.
Thank you. Working right now to clean this up a little.

Sounds good mix is good nothing stands out. One thing that would greatly improve this recording is real mic'd guitar amps. It just has that amp sim sound. if they are mic'd my mistake. Gtrs need some lows removed.

I think the impression overall is that everything is very clean. I'm not that good with this genre, but what I've heard that's similar is always a bit sort of compromised. I'm not sure that miking guitar cabs ever really improves the sound, but when you do it, the sound changes and maybe it's just the real world getting in? Low level, hardly there noise - the other players just leaking in a tiny bit. That and the impact of the speaker and the mic. Two devices trying to convert audio into electricity and electricity into audio, and both doing a reasonable job. Not perfection though! Maybe just playing the guitars tracks through an amp and then capturing that back in would be interesting to do? Perhaps adding in a tiny bit of bass, kick and snare too to colour it?

Back