SubZero ME1002FX 10 Channel Mixer - Head phones issue

neilmccarthy

Hi,

A complete Newbie here, so first time post.

I purchased the sub Zero mixer. I was looking for a bit of technical advice. I can play the mike and music through the mixer fine. However, when I plug the head phone jack into the mixer no sound comes from them. Sound still comes from the speaker. There is a control on the mixer by the phones input, but this has no effect. Do you have any suggestions as to why this may be?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks in advance!

Neil

- Do you have a link for the manual in PDF, preferably with a block diagram? Googled for one and couldn't find one.
- What are you using for headphones, make and model, and using any adapters to plug into the mixer?
- To what jacks do you have the 'monitors'(speakers) connected to?
- 'Main Mix' fader at about 0(zero)?
- Is the LED meter showing signal?
- Have you tried different positions of the 3 buttons to the right of CD/Tape jacks? (I don't think these will make a difference, but try)

Hi, Thanks for your prompt response.

Do you have a link for the manual in PDF, preferably with a block diagram? Googled for one and couldn't find one.

No - I could not find the one it came with and I also tried to google. I have contacted the manufacture, so may get hold of one in a day or so.

- What are you using for headphones, make and model, and using any adapters to plug into the mixer?

so I initially tries an adaptor, this did not work and I thought that was the problem. before going out and buying a set of decent headphones, I have borrowed some. they are called Newmark - no idea of brands, so not sure of the quality. However, given the jack did not work before, it seems to me tis si not a headphones issue but rather the mixer or settings.

- To what jacks do you have the 'monitors'(speakers) connected to?

Not sure what this means - other than the monitor has a large jack plugged in to "mains out". it is in the left side, but have tried plugging the headphones in to right and left, still no out put. I can still hear through monitor though!

- 'Main Mix' fader at about 0(zero)?

yes.

- Is the LED meter showing signal?

yes

- Have you tried different positions of the 3 buttons to the right of CD/Tape jacks? (I don't think these will make a difference, but try)[/QUOTE]

yes, tried lots of settings, nothing seems to work. I am guessing this is something really simple, just need to find the answer.

Thanks again for your help, really appreciated.

Regards,

Neil

Attachments

• sub zero.JPG
    sub zero.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 19
'SubZero' is a range of products carried mainly here by 'Gear4Music'. I have dealt with them before and they seemed decent guys.
I have therefore emailed a request for a user manual and signal block diagram.
Will attach IF it comes!

Dave.

'SubZero' is a range of products carried mainly here by 'Gear4Music'. I have dealt with them before and they seemed decent guys.
I have therefore emailed a request for a user manual and signal block diagram.
Will attach IF it comes!

Dave.

Thanks Dave. I've a feeling the 'Newmark' cans are actually 'Numark' > https://www.numark.com/product_category/headphones . At lest that's what a Google search gave me. Those should work fine I believe.

To what jacks do you have the 'monitors'(speakers) connected to? Not sure what this means - other than the monitor has a large jack plugged in to "mains out". it is in the left side, but have tried plugging the headphones in to right and left, still no out put. I can still hear through monitor though!

Think about you main and monitor outputs like this. Your mixer calls the "Monitors Out THE CTRL Out". You have your mixer inside of a sound booth in a Church. The main outputs would go to the speakers where everyone inside the room could hear what is coming through your mixer and you would adjust the volume level via the master volume control. The Monitor out jacks would go to the speakers inside the sound booth so only you could hear what is coming out of your mixer and you would control the volume via the Monitor master volume control.

If I am not mistaken, both of these outputs are UN-powered, meaning that you would run these outputs (Main Speakers and Monitor Speakers) into a amp before the signal can be heard via the speakers. Plugging in your headphones into either of these jacks at the very best, will give you a very weak signal. Most headphone jacks on mixers have a small pre-amp built in and they also have a master volume control. If you decide to invest in monitors, make sure they are "Powered".

Have you tried different positions of the 3 buttons to the right of CD/Tape jacks? (I don't think these will make a difference, but try).

yes, tried lots of settings, nothing seems to work. I am guessing this is something really simple, just need to find the answer. Thanks again for your help, really appreciated. Regards, Neil

I tried to blow up your picture to see what these buttons say, but it did not work. As mentioned above, it really should not matter. I think one of them says "Tape to Mains". If so, this would allow you to hook up a tape or cd player and be able to adjust the output volume via the mixer and it may even silence the other inputs as well.

I know on my Alesis mixer it has a button to channel the signal to the monitors as well as the mains. I think you are right though, it is probably something very simple.

Mack.... top view....

Believe he has one speaker/monitor plugged into a 'Main' output and if it works likely is a powered monitor.

Attachments

• preview.jpg
    preview.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 16
Mack.... top view....Believe he has one speaker/monitor plugged into a 'Main' output and if it works likely is a powered monitor.

Ya, I was just trying to give the OP a little knowledge on the difference due to his reply back to you about not knowing what you were referring to per the monitors. His mixer says CTRL (Control Room). The OP also said they have the output set to "0". The picture they provided shows this as well. Maybe this could also effect the output to the headphone jack as well? Anyway, I was able to find a larger pic of their mixer. It may give some better clues till the manual arrives.

View attachment 100399

Ya, I was just trying to give the OP a little knowledge on the difference due to his reply back to you about not knowing what you were referring to per the monitors. His mixer says CTRL (Control Room). The OP also said they have the output set to "0". The picture they provided shows this as well. Maybe this could also effect the output to the headphone jack as well? Anyway, I was able to find a larger pic of their mixer. It may give some better clues till the manual arrives.

The 'Main Mix' fader should affect the headphone feed and the LED metering. As he has indication on the meters, he should have something going to the headphones as long as the 'Phones' knob is up a bit as you pointed out..

Yeah, when I said '0' zero it meant up between the larger white bars on the fader, not as all the way down.

The 'Main Mix' fader should affect the headphone feed and the LED metering. As he has indication on the meters, he should have something going to the headphones as long as the 'Phones' knob is up a bit as you pointed out..Yeah, when I said '0' zero it meant up between the larger white bars on the fader, not as all the way down.

That was kinda what I was thinking. Maybe if they raise the main output till the meters just started to peak, (for the OP, going into the red) and set the headphone volume to 12 o'clock, it may just solve the problem. Myself, I have done sillier things than that, wondering why I could not hear something that I should be hearing. Spent hours one day on just about the same situation. The problem was solved when I kicked the cat out the room. He was sleeping on the mixing desk and his right rear paw was on the volume down key on the keyboard. :facepalm:

Don't know if this is moot but. 'Main Outs' generally feed a recording device (and often have inserts) or, for a live rig, the PA amps/speakers.
The 'Contrl Outs' or 'Monitor outs' generally feed, as the name implies, the Control room monitors. Any faffing about done to the signals TOO Cntrl Out should have no effect on Main Outs.

N.B. as a subset of Mon Out is Headphone out. The level to this SHOULD be independent of both Main and Cntrl but a few mixers are not arranged this way. Daft I call that.

Dave.

HI everyone,

Firstly, thanks for all your responses. I have tried the volume on the head phones and still nothing. I had an email from gear4music and they said the buttons on the left CTR would solve the problem - still no sound though! I have attached a couple of photo's in the hope this may help if anyone has any more suggestions.

Just to say I really appreciate your time and help.

regards,

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_3662.JPG
    IMG_3662.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3663.JPG
    IMG_3663.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 23
A quick update and not sure If this is relevant - I put the music input into the right channel. I get a faint sound from the headphones but nothing from the monitor when this happens. is this normal? At least I know the headphones work!

neil

These pics show the 'Main Mix' fader at the bottom of its travel. If that the way you're running it normally it's wrong. Push it up to where the '0'(zero) number is. All the buttons should be in the up/out position.

Your monitor is plugged into the left output, so music in the right input might not get to the left output. Plug the monitor into the right output and see if that works. Not sure if the Pan control would shift it over there or not. Do you only have the one monitor?

OK - thanks. 'Main Mix' fader is now at zero and the volume turned down else on the output. I am only running one monitor. Still no sound from the head phones. plugged into right side and no difference.

neil

A quick update and not sure If this is relevant - I put the music input into the right channel. I get a faint sound from the headphones but nothing from the monitor when this happens. is this normal? At least I know the headphones work! neil

What music are you imputing into the right channel? This does not sound right. You either have to feed sound into the mixer via the channel input via a mic or the tape input. If you are using the tape input than you MUST press the "Tape to Mix" button.

OK - thanks. 'Main Mix' fader is now at zero and the volume turned down else on the output. I am only running one monitor. Still no sound from the head phones. plugged into right side and no difference.neil

Turn all you volume controls up, not down.

The music is inputted from an mp3 player in the line in 3/4. it is in the left channel and the sound comes out of the monitor.

I have moved the main mix to zero as suggested. when I said turned the volume down, this was the line in volume and the mike volume - otherwise its just REALLY loud from the monitor and still no sound from the head phones.

Neil

Hey Neil, in the numerical display for the effects, is only a single number '8' on the right showing? Is the left side of the display not lit? And if you push the effects 'Program' knob and turn it do both digits of the display light with a two digit number. If you only get one digit, I'm beginning to think you may have a defective unit, including the headphone part of it.

Back