Studio One, help

andrushkiwt

Studio One lets you create fades, edit volume, and splice tracks by highlighting the recorded piece. However, the volume only changes in increments of 0.7db exactly...is there a way to set this level? The manual doesn't address it. This is my go-to for manually editing vocal levels when it's minor bumps here and there. It's easier than automation (ironic) but sometimes 0.5 or 1db will do, and I find the 0.7 to be arbitrary.

Anyone?

I assume you're turning some knob or moving a fader to get those 0,7 increments....?

Is there an option to manually type in the numbers?

My DAW has an incremental setup like that when moving faders in some sections of the DAW...though it's more finer than 0.7...but I always have the option of typing numerical values of my choosing if I use a different edit window for that object/track.

I assume you're turning some knob or moving a fader to get those 0,7 increments....?

Is there an option to manually type in the numbers?

My DAW has an incremental setup like that when moving faders in some sections of the DAW...though it's more finer than 0.7...but I always have the option of typing numerical values of my choosing if I use a different edit window for that object/track.

Nope, it's not a fader. I'm clicking and highlighting the soundwave. When I do that, the soundwave has a few options that light up...like a triangle in the corner to grab and pull the wave to do a crossfade. Another is a rectangle square in the middle of the soundwave. That one controls the volume of the soundwave...but only in .7 increments.

here:

View attachment 96912

see the rectangle in the top-middle of the highlighted soundwave? That moves up and down. It's an easy way for me to bring down individual words or sections without making automation tracks. It's funky on guitars for some reason - you can't hear the difference sometimes between the current volume and a 9db difference either way. Not sure why that is. But vocals it works like a charm.

Mmmm...use a different DAW. :p

I'm not much of a toolbar user, I don't even turn on toolbars in my DAW, as I tend to program a lot of stuff to keystroke combinations and of course, my trackball...but if they hard-coded settings to the toolbars, maybe there's a way to change that (I would check with Studio One)....if not, and no way to manually input numbers...you're SOL with that DAW.
I just find that odd, though...as that's kinda crude...0.7 increments.

Mmmm...use a different DAW. :p

I'm not much of a toolbar user, I don't even turn on toolbars in my DAW, as I tend to program a lot of stuff to keystroke combinations and of course, my trackball...but if they hard-coded settings to the toolbars, maybe there's a way to change that (I would check with Studio One)....if not, and no way to manually input numbers...you're SOL with that DAW.
I just find that odd, though...as that's kinda crude...0.7 increments.

1) this is a general image from google. not a screenshot of my DAW, but it is of Studio One.
2) i use the toolbar only for selecting either the grab option or the splice option. that's all.
3) this concept here about moving the block to change volume is separate from the toolbar - i see now that the arrow is selected in the toolbar, but that's something diff altogether. The way you approach what I'm talking about is like this....

highlight my text right now with your mouse. once you've done that, it turns blue. Then imagine two options show up in the now-blue-highlighted text, one for fading and one for volume adjustments.

That's all. Toolbar could be obsolete for all this matters. And no way man! Studio One is great. It's newer - yeah, but still reviewed very favorably and the last I checked does not have any features PT's does...in fact, I read an article (yeah yeah internet must be true etc) that pointed out all the features PT's doesn't have that S1 does. There are quite a few S1 users here. Maybe they can help solve this as well.

I do agree it seems weird to not let you freely choose how much to change the volume there.

I don't know which version of Studio One you're using, but I've got Studio One 3 Prime (i.e., the free version). When I select a part of an audio clip and say I want to adjust the volume level, I can change it in .1 increments by dragging the level up and down. However, it also depends on how tall the track is, since dragging the level will move it graphically one pixel up or down on the screen, hence the height of the track will determine how much of a value change 1 pixel corresponds to. To get the finest value adjustments, expand the track to be as tall as possible on the screen-- you can always reduce its height again afterward. EDIT: I hope that made sense! :)

0.7dB? Time for a different DAW! Reaper's gradations are 0.01dB (of course it['s hard to drag to that accuracy without expanding the view exponentially.)

I don't know which version of Studio One you're using, but I've got Studio One 3 Prime (i.e., the free version). When I select a part of an audio clip and say I want to adjust the volume level, I can change it in .1 increments by dragging the level up and down. However, it also depends on how tall the track is, since dragging the level will move it graphically one pixel up or down on the screen, hence the height of the track will determine how much of a value change 1 pixel corresponds to. To get the finest value adjustments, expand the track to be as tall as possible on the screen-- you can always reduce its height again afterward. EDIT: I hope that made sense! :)

ok let me try that when I get home. I believe I keep the waveforms rather small, maybe this is why i'm getting a larger value? From what you said, making it bigger (like zooming in on it) will allow more precise and detailed changes...? That kinda makes sense, actually. Did you find that through trial and error, from a manual, or online somewhere? Alright, I'll give it a shot in an hour or so. This is Studio One 2 Pro, by the way.

If you had V2, do you like the new version?

thanks!

0.7dB? Time for a different DAW! Reaper's gradations are 0.01dB (of course it['s hard to drag to that accuracy without expanding the view exponentially.)

Yeah this is what Gruff said...I might need to just zoom in more (make it bigger) and maybe I'll have more precision control there.

Did you find that through trial and error, from a manual, or online somewhere?

I figured it out through trial and error while trying to adjust the values of MIDI parameters. :)

I couldn't figure out how to make adjusts smaller than 0.1dB, and when I entered hundredths of a dB in the entry field it just dropped the hundredths-- e.g., 0.01 was changed to 0dB, and 0.15 was changed to 0.1dB-- so 0.1 must be the smallest unit for dB (in Studio One Prime, anyway).

If you had V2, do you like the new version?

Yes, I did have V2-- Studio One 2 Free. And yes, I do like V3. :)

It kinda makes sense that visual "dragging" of level resolution would be tied to the size of the track/graphic.

That said...it's still odd to me that regardless of the graphics, there is no direct input window to manually type in your level numbers...?

I mean...let's say you have a hundred tracks, and you have them all real small in order to fit them all in the screen...do you have to them constantly zoom in to fine-tune the level by dragging only...?...that would be very annoying and kinda poor programming....just sayin....

A decent DAW usually gives you 2-3 ways to manipulate things...that way you can make the DAW conform to your working style, rather than the other way around.
If you haven't checked everything...give it another look if there's a way to manually input volume levels rather than just dragging level lines, which is kinda crude in most cases.

0.1 increments now. Thank you Gruff, that worked just as you said. Very cool, this makes things much easier.

It kinda makes sense that visual "dragging" of level resolution would be tied to the size of the track/graphic.

That said...it's still odd to me that regardless of the graphics, there is no direct input window to manually type in your level numbers...?

I mean...let's say you have a hundred tracks, and you have them all real small in order to fit them all in the screen...do you have to them constantly zoom in to fine-tune the level by dragging only...?...that would be very annoying and kinda poor programming....just sayin....

A decent DAW usually gives you 2-3 ways to manipulate things...that way you can make the DAW conform to your working style, rather than the other way around.
If you haven't checked everything...give it another look if there's a way to manually input volume levels rather than just dragging level lines, which is kinda crude in most cases.

No. That's just an extra option for fine tuning "events". For example, the entire guitar track is at a perfect level minus the first two chords in the opening. Instead of automating the level there, you can chop up that section to create an "event" and then manipulate that event in certain ways. Level being one. If you wanted to raise everything, you have normal faders or you can highlight all the tracks instead creating an event and do the same. However many events you want to create.

People don't know about Studio One. Man. It gets a smashing around here sometimes, not sure why.

It's funky on guitars for some reason - you can't hear the difference sometimes between the current volume and a 9db difference either way.
Do you "print" your guitar tracks? Or do you just have the raw track and a Sim as an insert effect? If you don't have the sim printed, then you're just turning up (or down) the raw guitar signal. It will be hard to hear a difference in volume that way.

Do you "print" your guitar tracks? Or do you just have the raw track and a Sim as an insert effect? If you don't have the sim printed, then you're just turning up (or down) the raw guitar signal. It will be hard to hear a difference in volume that way.

If this is true, and it works the same as protools, he'd be driving the amp harder by turning up.
As you say, hard to hear much difference in small adjustments that way.

About the zooming/adjusting...Protools has the same thing where zooming in or expanding the track allows for smaller increments.
It also lets you fine tune in your normal smaller view, though, by holding a modifier key.

I know you got your answer but you might want to try holding ctrl or alt whilst dragging, just to see what it does. ;)

Goddamn it. Lol. Embarrassed.

Alright, now I need to go through my vocals and turn it all back to 0 on the waveform. I'll have to bounce with effects and then put those changes back in once it's printed. I hate committing now though. Oh well. So yeah the track you just heard today and yesterday has that going on. Im guessing it'll be an improvement somehow once I sort that out.

Can't believe I didnt realize that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Goddamn it. Lol. Embarrassed.

Alright, now I need to go through my vocals and turn it all back to 0 on the waveform. I'll have to bounce with effects and then put those changes back in once it's printed. I hate committing now though. Oh well. So yeah the track you just heard today and yesterday has that going on. Im guessing it'll be an improvement somehow once I sort that out.

Can't believe I didnt realize that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ha! I learned it the hard way, too. You're really only semi-committing, really. Just save the raw guitar files and you can always go back and re-record if you want to change something.

Ha! I learned it the hard way, too. You're really only semi-committing, really. Just save the raw guitar files and you can always go back and re-record if you want to change something.

Well this track I've already burned em and the guitars are all set. I'm wondering now How much it's affecting the vocals since those are the only ones I really go in and alter the waveform for level. The guitars are a rare thing and I've only tried it once or twice. My vocal channel has basic eq on it, aside from all the bus stuff, and then there's a stereo chorus vocal track. Chorus is an insert there.

Well this track I've already burned em and the guitars are all set. I'm wondering now How much it's affecting the vocals since those are the only ones I really go in and alter the waveform for level. The guitars are a rare thing and I've only tried it once or twice. My vocal channel has basic eq on it, aside from all the bus stuff, and then there's a stereo chorus vocal track. Chorus is an insert there.

Is that volume adjustment pre-inserts, or is it just an automation line for your fader?
It's easy to find out. Raise it to the roof and see if things get louder or if your compressor just gets hit harder.

Is that volume adjustment pre-inserts, or is it just an automation line for your fader?
It's easy to find out. Raise it to the roof and see if things get louder or if your compressor just gets hit harder.

It's gotta be pre-inserts. Like Rami said, If the guitars weren't getting louder....

No I try to avoid automation. It's extra work for me. :)

That means no bus sends either probably.right? Argh. Maybe it's making my vocals phasey. I'm on the laptop now. I'll check.

Back