Strings Only or pickups too

utsman

Hey Guys,

My cousin has a right hand electric setup for a left hander (him). Would the pickups have been turned around as well as the restringing upside down, or just the strings. I want to change it back to a right hander (me).

UTSMAN

utsman said:
Hey Guys,

My cousin has a right hand electric setup for a left hander (him). Would the pickups have been turned around as well as the restringing upside down, or just the strings. I want to change it back to a right hander (me).

UTSMAN

Well it depends. You can just restring it if you can keep in mind that when you're playing the bass is on the opposite end so when you adjust your guitar settings it won't be like.. "Hey, why does it sound like the bass is getting less when I'm turning it up?" But if you do it by ear anyway, like most people, it shouldn't have any actual effect on the sound. Did he, by the way, switch it in the first place?

I don't know. He took it to a shop.
So basically all that could happen is the tone knob would work the other way if the pickup was upside down?

If it started as a right handed guitar all that will really need done is a new nut will be needed as the grooves will be cut too deep or shallow. I got a strat that was adapted to left handed and thats the main thing that I recall having done to change to a right handed instument. Have a shop do it, they will have all the files that are needed.

The pickups either will not need to be changed (if it has adjustable pole pieces), or it can not be changed (none adjustable pole pieces, but an asemetric design like a strat or tele pickup).

A Tune-o-Matic style bridge will also cause some issues, and of course it will need either a new nut (Gibson style necks) or the nut may need to be fliped (Fender style necks, but that doesn't always work and you sometimes need a new nut anyway).

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Man, I'm left handed. You have to set the intonation, actually reset the whole bridge, change the nut. If you pull the pickup out, you can tell if the wires are in the right place. If it's flipped, the wire will kinda run under the pickup. The wire should be close to the hole going to the electronics. If it's been played a lot, man, it should have "left handed" wear on the frets. Somethin to keep in mind. I only have one right handed guitar left, and its a Gibson Flying V. I rarely play it anymore. Left handed guitars work better for leftys!

Back