Strat trem question

The sounding string vibrates between the saddle and nut but most of the energy is lost at and beyond those points and it is those points reflecting the energy back down the string that dictate it's tone and timbre. It is whats added by the materials beyond the sounding string that colour the sound and why what a guitar is made of makes a difference. When the vibrations in the string bounce back from the saddle and lesser extent the fret, it is the harmonic partials that it picks up that give us the tone.

Yeah to hell with all that. I'm just gonna plug in and go. :D

Although I do agree that it wouldn't hurt to replace the nut I would think that it's in the trem it's. I would give it a good cleaning maybe even taking the block completely out and look to see if there might be some wear or a small burr causing it to stick slightly. Going ape on the trem several times may do it all you can do is try it.

Bought a '77. Used the trem bar and the tuning went kapluwee. It could be because I am not used to using a trem bar, and so maybe I have the wrong technique, or because of something else on the guitar itself. Whatever, it just wasn't worth it to me bothering to find out, especially since I don't really use that technique, so I had it removed, of course retaining all the trem components in case... Otherwise, it works just fine, and the strings stay completely in tune if I put it in the case, and then retreive it later.

Last edited:
My USA Strat is from the late 90's, and has the "modern" trem bridge, whereas yours has the "vintage" one. I am told the vintage only allows dives, not climbs, but the modern allows both- but the former owner blocked it so it mostly only dives. Strings rarely ever go out of tune, and never severely. Perhaps a similar treatment to your trem bridge might help?

My USA Strat is from the late 90's, and has the "modern" trem bridge, whereas yours has the "vintage" one. I am told the vintage only allows dives, not climbs, but the modern allows both- but the former owner blocked it so it mostly only dives. Strings rarely ever go out of tune, and never severely. Perhaps a similar treatment to your trem bridge might help?

Maybe. I never go "up" with it, and I never dive it too far. I mostly only use the trem for small surfy "wiggles" if you know what I mean.

Vintage vibrato: release mid 4 screws or even remove them at all (if body wood is strong enough), and then adjust height of bridge plate with remaining two side screws.

Everything works (nor only for stability...).
Strings, tuners, retainers, headstock, nut, neck, neck to body connection (including screws), saddles, bridge (including bridge screws) / or vibrato (including height screws, anchor, anchor screws, springs, etc.), tailpiece (including screws) / or strings through body inserts, and even body.
And if you really want to make things better - check all it.

The sounding string vibrates between the saddle and nut but most of the energy is lost at and beyond those points and it is those points reflecting the energy back down the string that dictate it's tone and timbre. It is whats added by the materials beyond the sounding string that colour the sound and why what a guitar is made of makes a difference. When the vibrations in the string bounce back from the saddle and lesser extent the fret, it is the harmonic partials that it picks up that give us the tone.

That might be the coolest thing I ever read about guitars.

I didn't cut anything. That's the original 20 yr old nut with a big chip on the edge that's been there for over ten years.

Thought so, easiest way to fix that nut is to sell the strat to a gay and wait for your new axe. :)

Just as well I know how you roll or I could have let the cat outta the bag eh? :D

I cancelled that order and got this instead:

GVK_Body_8_String.jpg

Back