Sonic Maximizers

Jbone

Anyone ever use one live. I have a band with three vox doing lots of harmonies and I was thinking that this may help clean the vox up a bit.
Any Suggestions?

Run away from these toys as fast as you legs will carry you. There's NOTHING one of these will do that you can't do with EQ. You want better vocals, get better mics and preamps. That will go a LOT farther in making an audible improvement.

Reactions: NL5
if you ever buy one every person on this website will say "RETURN IT". At least thats what happened when i bought one.... so i returned it ... they are pretty stupid they dont do much

bbe sonic maximizers are crap in my opinion.

i cringe when i see metal guitar players come in to record and they have these things in their racks.

it wont do a dam thing for vocals.

i swear by mine in my guitar rig....& so do many other people.
i don't use it for recording, i like to keep it as clean as possible.
but for live its a must for me. i may not use it if i was using tube, but for solid state i like it.

Worse Goddang things ever invented. Truly the one-way ticket to "instant suck."

Use it too much, and you may inadvertantly be elected to a full-term as "Mayor of Suckville" by write-in balot.

chessrock said:
Worse Goddang things ever invented. Truly the one-way ticket to "instant suck."

Use it too much, and you may inadvertantly be elected to a full-term as "Mayor of Suckville" by write-in balot.

Ooh ooh, if I get one can I at least be sheriff?

War :p

Jbone said:
Anyone ever use one live. I have a band with three vox doing lots of harmonies and I was thinking that this may help clean the vox up a bit.
Any Suggestions?

Beware when someone says that it sucks or it is good for nothing.. That usually means one of two things...

They don't know how to use it.
The paid too much for it.

Just like with guitars.... Someone will ask is a Squire ok? Typical answer will be.. Squire suck! Nothing good about a Squire!

Put that fucking squire in the hands of a Danny Gatton!

I have heard good results from a BBE in a rack that needed a little spice... The key is.. Learn how to use it.. That means how much and when..

studiowebx said:
Beware when someone says that it sucks or it is good for nothing.. That usually means one of two things...

Just like with guitars.... Someone will ask is a Squire ok? Typical answer will be.. Squire suck! Nothing good about a Squire!

Put that fucking squire in the hands of a Danny Gatton!

I have heard good results from a BBE in a rack that needed a little spice... The key is.. Learn how to use it.. That means how much and when..

Comments like these usually come from people who have never used good gear. :rolleyes:

HangDawg said:
Comments like these usually come from people who have never used good gear. :rolleyes:

people just have to know how to use it. & to use it sparingly.

i have it in my effects loop, parallel (putting it series wets it way too much). then i have it plugged into itself, so i can use both channels) & set fairly moderatley. i dunno. its good for people who don't use any guitar rack gear or pedals & only have a 3band on their head.

AvoidTheClap said:
i have it in my effects loop, parallel (putting it series wets it way too much). then i have it plugged into itself, so i can use both channels) & set fairly moderatley. i dunno. its good for people who don't use any guitar rack gear or pedals & only have a 3band on their head.
You've just given yourself away.

Anyway the original question was about live vocals. The bbe will make them cut more, but so will some eq and a push of the fader.

Farview said:
You've just given yourself away.

Anyway the original question was about live vocals. The bbe will make them cut more, but so will some eq and a push of the fader.

i'm not disagreeing with that, about vocals. but i am against the view that it's a piece of junk...

studiowebx said:

Or it could mean that it really does just plain suck.

I think bsabbath used one on his guitar sound, and I would venture he has probably posted some of the best sounding guitars to ever come out of the MP3 clinic.

Like all equipment, it is in the hands of the user. Wow...an 1176 is GREAT!! a Behringer is sucky... poo poo...

This forum never ceases to crack me up with what people tell you you shouldn't do or use. If you don't prescribe to THEIR theory, you won't sound like them!! .......thank goodness 99 percent of the time.

mcolling said:
But what does it do exactly.

The BBE (used to be short for Barcus Berry Electronics) uses a process to align harmonics. They have a link to a white paper on their site. It is not an EQ. A properly recorded and mixed song will not benefit much by them IMO. To use one insinuates impropper tools or skills were used to correct the signal.

Back