Sonar 3 can't see Midi output device

tlee2951

I finally upgraded from Home Studio to Sonar3 on my XP machine. Although this isn't my primary PC for audio (PC in the music room needs an upgrade to run Sonar), I was still hoping to play around a bit with some of the new MIDI and audio editing features of Sonar using the built-in sound card synth (Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth).

Audio stuff seems to be fine but the problem is that in Sonar3 when I look at the available Output ports in the Options->MIDI Devices screen all I see is "Microsoft MIDI Mapper" and if I try to select this I still get the message telling me I "need to select an output device...."

I also have Home Studio9 installed on this same machine. With HS9 in addition to the MIDI Mapper I see the GS Wavetable SW Synth showing up in the Output Ports screen and I can select it and listen to Midi files.

Does anyone have an idea why the SW Synth shows up in HS9 but not in Sonar3? I've searched a few forums looking for an answer but haven't found anything that solved the problem just yet.

Many thanks in advance.

tlee2951 said:
I was still hoping to play around a bit with some of the new MIDI and audio editing features of Sonar using the built-in sound card synth (Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth).
The Microsofth GS is not the built in soundcard synth, it's a software synth from Microsoft (;)). And I don't think you'll ever see it in Sonar.

No problem, just use the Edirol VSC. Or, since you have Sonar 3, download some GM soundfonts and use them with VSampler 3. :)

Back