Some songs - 1st 4 mixed this week

Monkey Allen

Fork and spoon operator
Long time no see...I'd be grateful if anyone can take a listen to any of the first 4 or 5 songs at this link and let me know how I can get the mixes thicker and more robust. They were all recorded pretty well and with the exception of maybe Lights Go Low, I didn't go bezerk with high pass filters etc

They sound OK to me on my Mixcubes, my Mackie MR5 set, all my 4 sets of headphones, I mean passable for a chump like me in his bedroom...but when I play them on my laptop speakers, in comparison to anything else they just sound anemic.

Just looking for tips on what I can do to improve, based on what you hear.

The Fish Tanks | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Thanks

;)

I listened to Lights Go Low.

I'm not sure you need a thicker/robust mix. For the style I think you have about the "right amount of heavy." Actually, I think the bass on this is a bit too low-end-heavy.

I like the singer. Cool voice.

I think you could probably nudge up the guitars, at least in the verses. They stay out of the way of the vocal well just by playing the parts they played. You can boost them and get away with it I think.

As I said, I'd roll off some low end from the bass. I would like to hear a little more attack on the notes. See if a boost in the mid-2Ks does it.

Drums are a little repetitive.

I'd agree with all Trip's comments. Not sure why you'd want to target laptop speakers. I agree it's great to have your mix translate well regardless of the listening equipment but anyone on a laptop who can't be bothered plugging in headphones deserves what they get

Righto fellas thanks for listening. I'll make the necessary adjustments to the best of my ability.

;)

For sure, it's good to check on laptops, just to see if anything pops out, but anyone who listens to music on laptop speakers probably doesn't understand good sound anyway.

Picture of Health - kick seems a little loud to me,
Lights Go Low and Those are the Breaks - bass is a little loud
Way Up High - drums and bass are a little loud, maybe the guitars just need to come up a bit in the verse parts, seem ok in the chorus (chorus sounds more balanced overall)

I remixed the first 4 songs using nearfields, Mixcubes and new Beyerdynamic dt880's. I think the new mixes are 75% improved.

It's interesting what frequencies you spend your time wrestling with when you don't have a clear view of what is going on. The new headphones are very flat and well, I reduced frequency adjustments by about 80%. Previously I had been cutting all sorts of apparent bad frequency. But I used 3 different headphones in the previous mixes...and inherent to those headphones are a lot more default frequency anomalies, compared to the much flatter 880's.

I was really bummed after recording those 4 songs, and mixing them so badly. But it feels better to have mixed them ok now and it all doesn't seem like so much of a waste of time.

Back