Solved! Tascam 246 R/P issue

I do have another head assembly from a parts machine I may try. If that doesn’t do it, I’ll abandon this one.
I really appreciate your help and hanging in there with me. Will update my progress.

2D7E991D-6459-439B-9F27-58A092D4DD8B.jpegSweetbeats,
You were spot on. The R/P head was bad. I swapped it out with another from a 246 parts deck I have and back in business. I recalibrated and all is good. Thanks for you much needed help.
The pic is my 2 working 246’s. The one on the right had the issue.

Thanks again

Very cool!

Glad you got it sorted out. I know I got confused by some of the details, but you also did a lot of good troubleshooting steps and that helped us get to the solution more quickly.

And for what it’s worth the reason I was wanting to look at the head is from the pictures you did provide it looked like a lot of wear on the head, and I wondered if you were just getting to the point of reaching the service limit…I can’t quite explain why it would work and then stop after multiple plays, but when you followed up stating no record or playback, I figured a faulty head coil was likely the issue…the picture would have likely supported the theory.

Anyway, cool to see two machines up and running. You must use a 246 pretty regularly…clearly know your way around the guts. Anyway, glad we could help and stick around!

Thanks Sweetbeats,
The 246’s are more for fun. I like recoding with them. I have a 388 8Tk in my studio along with a Mac based DAW running Motu Digital Performer. I bought the 388 in 1987 new. Years ago you helped me troubleshoot a L/R monitor issue with it. A bad IC on the monitor pcb. Been running great, but I really use the mixer section for the DAW.

I’ll be checking out your you tube tech shop! Thanks again.

Thanks Sweetbeats,
The 246’s are more for fun. I like recoding with them. I have a 388 8Tk in my studio along with a Mac based DAW running Motu Digital Performer. I bought the 388 in 1987 new. Years ago you helped me troubleshoot a L/R monitor issue with it. A bad IC on the monitor pcb. Been running great, but I really use the mixer section for the DAW.

I’ll be checking out your you tube tech shop! Thanks again.
Oh I remember that…yes! Well we’ve sort of come full circle then lol!

Back