sm57/58 - can i use it with Tascam US-100?

I'm currently using US-100 with a dynamic mic and planning to get sm57 or 58.
But I'm not sure if my interface has enough gain for sm57/58.
Here's a snapshot of the US-100 manual. I read that shure dynamic mic requires 60dB.
I'm not sure which value to look for in the manual? Is it the Nominal Input Level (-62dBu to -23dBu)?

Capture.JPG

In a word, yes!
If you are already getting enough level from the unspecified dynamic a 57/58 should be fine.

All dynamic mics seem to be about the same sensitivity within about 6dB. There is the very low SM7b and some pretty hot Neo, rare earth jobs but the vast majority fall around -58 to -60dB ref 1volt at 1Pa.

Shame that otherwise very well written specification does not give THE vital piece of information we need! WTF is the input level needed for -20 (say) dBFS! But then virtually nobody else gives you that basic information either.

I assume the usage is vocal? If so I am betting it will be fine and even if the level is low, -25 even -30 dBFS it won't matter, just crank it a bit post tracking. If pre amp noise is an issue look for a small mixer second hand. They vary somewhat it seems but my Behringer Xenyx 802 is very quiet with dynamics.

No point in suggesting a Cloudlifter or similar? Might as well put the dosh toward a better, Later AI!

Dave.

Thanks, Dave.

The unspecified dynamic is low-end AT-X11. I'm using it for vocals and guitar amp and I getting enough level.

I just ask because I'm planning to upgrade to sm57/58. I read that they're really quiet, and wondering if my AI have enough gain for them. Can you suggest other mic in the same price range?

If I'm going to use a mixer, does it mean my setup for recording vocals will be like this?
mic >>> mixer >>> laptop

or

mic >>> mixer >>> AI >>> laptop

I honestly have never heard of an interface not being able to deliver enough gain to a dynamic microphone.
It'll just be Mic -> Interface -> Laptop

I honestly have never heard of an interface not being able to deliver enough gain to a dynamic microphone.
It'll just be Mic -> Interface -> Laptop

Well, there's this guy who do not recommend using sm57 with a certain interface.

Amazon.com: T. Cox's review of PreSonus AudioBox USB 2x2 USB Recording In...

But I guess, "too quiet" there is both relative and subjective.

I was thinking maybe someone here has used us-100 with sm57 and I like to hear some feedback.

It might be true. I've personally never had an entry-tier, two input interface not have enough gain for a microphone but this could be the exception.

Thanks, Dave.

The unspecified dynamic is low-end AT-X11. I'm using it for vocals and guitar amp and I getting enough level.

I just ask because I'm planning to upgrade to sm57/58. I read that they're really quiet, and wondering if my AI have enough gain for them. Can you suggest other mic in the same price range?

If I'm going to use a mixer, does it mean my setup for recording vocals will be like this?
mic >>> mixer >>> laptop

or

mic >>> mixer >>> AI >>> laptop

The AT has almost the same sensitivity at -55dB as the SM57 at -56 and since mics can easily have a tolerance of at least 2dB there really is nothing in it.

I agree it is rare, especially these days for an AI not to work with a dynamic but we really struggled with them into a Fast Track pro!

The mixer is a cheap solution if you have an application than needs more gain such as mine, garden birds. You don't.

Dave.

Back