Sliding noises recording guitar

Mr. Cachi

Hey guys, I´ve recently recorded guitar part with heavy distortion, and it has these really noisy sliding sounds from the strings. I don´t like the sound, so I´ve tried lowering their volume, but its kinda hard to see the sound in the sine wave since it was recorded through a pedal, so there aren´t many transients. Any quick way to get rid of these sounds?

String/finger squeak?
Sometimes you can find (identify) stuff by seeing the freq patterns in the waveforms. I.e. a section of high freq = smaller waves among the surrounding chordal or note waves. And/or 'stop at the squeak to zero in on it. Could be quite tedious if there's lots of them.
Catching 'clicks -ticks, or bumps' is pretty easy to see. These maybe not so. Hopefully the 'notes stop where the squeaks are.

Either learn to play it without the squeaks or learn to embrace it as part of your style. Trying to fix it in the mix is a fools errand.

Either learn to play it without the squeaks or learn to embrace it as part of your style. Trying to fix it in the mix is a fools errand.

+1.

There is stuff called Finger Ease (or there was) that lubricates the strings and keeps the steaks to a minimum. But once it's recorded, you are pretty hosed.

This, by the way, is another argument for less distortion...but your genre may not allow that.

I mean, my "style" is at least as much about the noises between the notes as the notes themselves. :)

quite often these are easy to silence in the wav editor but trying to avoid them all together is best. +1 on fingerease. I have spent hours trying to play something with a minimum of noise only to find it was simple to edit out easily too.

Back