Siren Song-redo of an old song

Anfontan

Banned by eurt
Here is a song that I wrote in the early 1990's, I've rerecorded all the tracks and added a section. I'll redo the lead guitar track-I just through them on this afternoon, and the bass line might also get redone.
Guess you would say it's a song about human nature.
It's called Siren Song.
All comments & suggestions are welcome..:)

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6832035

Hi Tony!! I won't be able to listen like I would tonight...some tonight, some tomorrow night. I've always loved the lyrics to this song.

The synth track in the intro is too loud I think...in fact, I would like the song better without it altogether...it sorta robs the guitar intro, which I like a lot.

The vocals are much sweeter on this redo...there is a more seductive quality I hear in your voice, but the other one has more of a growl.

You've toned down the solo...not quite as dirty sounding but still dirty enough to give it a jolt...:D

You using the slide in this too?

I like the keys in the background.

Drums are softened.

This is all based on a three time listen to both of em...so don't pay much attention to me.

Hi Tony!! I won't be able to listen like I would tonight...some tonight, some tomorrow night. I've always loved the lyrics to this song.

The synth track in the intro is too loud I think...in fact, I would like the song better without it altogether...it sorta robs the guitar intro, which I like a lot.

The vocals are much sweeter on this redo...there is a more seductive quality I hear in your voice, but the other one has more of a growl.

You've toned down the solo...not quite as dirty sounding but still dirty enough to give it a jolt...:D

You using the slide in this too?

I like the keys in the background.

Drums are softened.

This is all based on a three time listen to both of em...so don't pay much attention to me.

I added a new part-the 'It's so hard to keep track' is a new verse to it-I wanted a bit of variety.

Yeah, the synthe on the intro is louder than I expected too, I'll drop the level on it a bit. I used a Roland XP-60 on this where the original was on a Ensoniq SQ-80-the Roland sounds are much more updated-the Ensoniq is about 1985 technology....

The rhythm guitars are the Fender Splattercaster in 'funk mode'-clean in the neck & bridge switch position and my Franken-bird Firebird copy-dirtier tone. Stock Epi Les Paul thru a Boss Tube Driver pedal into a 15 watt Peavey Classic 20 for both leads. Slide was the clear coated Tele copy-I call her 'Lady Godiva'. I wanted it a bit dirtier for the new verse and I think the slide worked pretty well for that-I'm not a big fan of fuzz-tones....:o

Vocals were with a Nady RMS-4 ribbon mic thru an ART tube MP Studio to warm it up.

The original was done on 4 track machines and a Shure 57 was about the only mic I had--I'm still in the same spare bedroom for the recording though..:D

The lead guitar is good, I'd keep it;). I especially like the mix of the lead on the second section, the first section was a wee bit loud. The synth may be creating the difference. The bass guitar is there but it's not as defined as I would like. Maybe a few dbs or some eq. The rest sounds good to me. So generally only minor tweaks recommended....:D:cool::D:cool:

I'll give it a go in a little while, Tony. Right now I am in the middle of a 50MB download of a keyboard part... ;)

The lead guitar is good, I'd keep it;). I especially like the mix of the lead on the second section, the first section was a wee bit loud. The synth may be creating the difference. The bass guitar is there but it's not as defined as I would like. Maybe a few dbs or some eq. The rest sounds good to me. So generally only minor tweaks recommended....:D:cool::D:cool:

You were correct Ido-the 1st lead was 2 to 3 dB's higher that the level of the 2nd one-I've adjusted that to match and for this mix I'm dropping the synthe parts on the intro and outro-as True had mentioned. The bass has been adjusted as well. Thanks for the help & comments!
Mix #2 is up now!
And Rokket-I hope you like the picture~:p
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6832484

I only got to listen to mix#2, and I am typing as I listen...

First thing, the pic... reminds me of a time I was younger and in Germany during Octoberfest... 'nuff said.. :p

I really like it. Nothing I can add that wasn't already said. I guess you fixed those issues because I don't hear it.

I really like the solo, if this is the one you were going to change, don't. It's got the right energy.

Great song, Tony. Really tracked well.

Now I am off to listen to a keyboard track and see how it fits into the grand scheme of things al a living this life/

Sounds good Tony, lead's sitting better in the mix. Although the end lead section sounds good as is, I kinda miss the synth mix you had originally as it lent some power to the song. ;):D Good mix! :D

Cool song. Well captured and mixed.
The plectrum click from the bass are a little loud - can you eq them away?
The slide parts work well together too.
Is the synth gone or just mixed really way down? The lines it sketched were pretty good - I'd use them in the intro - not big just there supporting the lead.
Good ending solo!
Good work.
I look forward to developments.

After listening to both mixes, I like the intro (without the synth) of mix 2. The guitar part really sounds good enough to keep the listeners interest through the intro.

This is a good mix--it all sits together. I've noticed this with your stuff together before and it holds true with this one, no matter how many diiferent pieces you pull together, they really sound like the belong together. I don't mean the cheezy garage band live sound--that's not it. It's just that some of us seem to lack the glue that holds our mixes together, but you nail it.

Cool change up at 2:30 and nice touch bringing the piano in after that.

As a guitarist I understand another guitarist wanting to redo a lead, but if you must, I'd try to keep the at least the structure, and for sure the one--I really like the sound of that break!

Great job Tony!

This sounds very good, the different guitars add diversity to the mix. The slide really was a selling point for me, nice touch. Good job on vocals. As for the lead part, I'd keep it because there's something about spontanaity that is cool. Good song and recording.

I only got to listen to mix#2, and I am typing as I listen...

First thing, the pic... reminds me of a time I was younger and in Germany during Octoberfest... 'nuff said.. :p

I really like it. Nothing I can add that wasn't already said. I guess you fixed those issues because I don't hear it.

I really like the solo, if this is the one you were going to change, don't. It's got the right energy.

Great song, Tony. Really tracked well.

Now I am off to listen to a keyboard track and see how it fits into the grand scheme of things al a living this life/

The lead has been replaced but the notes are all the same-just better arrangement to me-thanks a lot for the listen!

Sounds good Tony, lead's sitting better in the mix. Although the end lead section sounds good as is, I kinda miss the synth mix you had originally as it lent some power to the song. ;):D Good mix! :D

The synthe at the end is back-it's left off on the intro for now-thanks Gerry!

Cool song. Well captured and mixed.
The plectrum click from the bass are a little loud - can you eq them away?
The slide parts work well together too.
Is the synth gone or just mixed really way down? The lines it sketched were pretty good - I'd use them in the intro - not big just there supporting the lead.
Good ending solo!
Good work.
I look forward to developments.

The bass has been redone and I corrected the click-I found a felt plectrum stashed in with a bunch of forgotten picks. I knew you could help me with the bass part-I'm not that much of a bass player myself..:o
The synthe at the end is back, and the end solo was totally spontaneous-I had nothing sketched out in my mind when I hit record-thank you Ray!

After listening to both mixes, I like the intro (without the synth) of mix 2. The guitar part really sounds good enough to keep the listeners interest through the intro.

This is a good mix--it all sits together. I've noticed this with your stuff together before and it holds true with this one, no matter how many diiferent pieces you pull together, they really sound like the belong together. I don't mean the cheezy garage band live sound--that's not it. It's just that some of us seem to lack the glue that holds our mixes together, but you nail it.

Cool change up at 2:30 and nice touch bringing the piano in after that.

As a guitarist I understand another guitarist wanting to redo a lead, but if you must, I'd try to keep the at least the structure, and for sure the one--I really like the sound of that break!

Great job Tony!

You have me blushing:o-I've been messing with this one forever, so I knew what it needed to sound like in my mind (except the last solo as mentioned above)-and the change was a new addition-I had to change the end of the 1st solo from Em to D. The solo's feedback fades into the slide part and the slide fades to the odd piano part.
The lead is basically the same-there were a few glitches where I was jumping to new positions and I had a bit more string noise than I wanted-thanks a lot Bob-(or is it Rob?)

This sounds very good, the different guitars add diversity to the mix. The slide really was a selling point for me, nice touch. Good job on vocals. As for the lead part, I'd keep it because there's something about spontanaity that is cool. Good song and recording.

Most people would laugh at my guitars-the Firebird copy is pieced together with a Alvarez neck on a plywood Firebird body I found in the back of a Mom & Pop music store-it's got a sound of it's own and is light as can be-I gigged with it a lot in the last hard rock band I was in. The Strat is a mexican Strat with GFS pickups and the the Les Paul used on the leads is a stock Epiphone. The slide part was kind of a surprise too, I just tuned the Tele to 'G' and it was the first take. Thanks for the listen and compliments Mr Riffmaster!

And here is the Mix #3-I think this will do it!:D
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6833883

Mix #3 sounds good Tony.
Bass-defined but still good bottom end
Guitars - suitably raunchy/tasty on the leads
Drums - nicely tucked in there
Synth - adds that special touch at the end

Very nice! :D

I can't add anything that wasn't already said...

But I did prefer the girl from mix 2 over the new one.... :rolleyes:

COOL bananas!
Yep the bass sits well & isn't raiding the guitar freqs.
Jessica Rabbit - could've turned me into a furry.
I like the sense of urgency the strum and melody combine to generate.Good outro solo too.

I listened to mix 3.

Sounds pretty good. The instruments are sitting well together. No nits with the mix in that regard. My only problem with it is that everything sounds too wet with reverb. The drums are way too roomy for my taste and the vocals are hard to understand. That's just me though. I like a drier in-your-face sound. I think this one could stand to be a little drier though. Especially the drums and vocals. There's a few timing issues too, but it's no big deal. Overall I think it's a good song and a good mix. Just hit it with a Sham-Wow to dry it up a little bit. :D

Mix #3 sounds good Tony.
Bass-defined but still good bottom end
Guitars - suitably raunchy/tasty on the leads
Drums - nicely tucked in there
Synth - adds that special touch at the end

Thanks again, I tried recording the new bass line with an acoustic electric and with my Ibanez jazz bass, the acoustic sounded nice but the active electronics made it too bright. The Ibanez always delivers. Active pickups just aren't my favorites..
That little Classic 20 is very nice for overdriven guitar solos-it's the go-to amp for rockin' out.
After mix 2 I just had to put that synthe back in-it's needed there -for sure!

Nothing I can say that has not been said before.....cool tune man, I like it:D

Hey, from hearing the great songs you have done, you've paid me a great compliment! Thanks Jay!

Very nice! :D

I can't add anything that wasn't already said...

But I did prefer the girl from mix 2 over the new one.... :rolleyes:

Yeah, that babe was super-fine;), but when I thought of the ultimate siren-Jessica Rabbit was the absolute winner! I bet Floyd Pepper in you're avatar would have chose Jessica-being that they are both 'toons' and all!:D

COOL bananas!
Yep the bass sits well & isn't raiding the guitar freqs.
Jessica Rabbit - could've turned me into a furry.
I like the sense of urgency the strum and melody combine to generate.Good outro solo too.

I'm glad it's coming along well and none of the frequencies are fighting each other-hope you enjoy the song in the future as well. And that you enjoyed the luscious Jessica-the perfect siren for this song. Thanks again Cool Ray!!

Last edited:
I listened to mix 3.

Sounds pretty good. The instruments are sitting well together. No nits with the mix in that regard. My only problem with it is that everything sounds too wet with reverb. The drums are way too roomy for my taste and the vocals are hard to understand. That's just me though. I like a drier in-your-face sound. I think this one could stand to be a little drier though. Especially the drums and vocals. There's a few timing issues too, but it's no big deal. Overall I think it's a good song and a good mix. Just hit it with a Sham-Wow to dry it up a little bit. :D

The drums verb I'm stuck with as they are fake drums from EZDrummer. I'll see if I saved a dry version of the vocal, I tried adding reverb and delay on this vocal mix-normally I only add some verb-and I'm sure that is smearing them too much. You have a great set of ears for these mixes Greg, Thanks for the review

Back