Siren Song-redo of an old song

Yeah, Greg has a VERY accurate set of wing nuts. He's pointed stuff out for me that I couldn't hear as a problem but trusting him I did as suggested and could hear the excellent result.
Go the Wingnut!

Hey, finally got a listen. Why am I always the last one??

Mix 3 sounds great. Guitars are just rocking. I can hear a piano in there too, cool. Vox has a lot of room sound, at least that's what it sounds like. And they sit back in the mix. A lot of urgency in the vocals, which brings out a lot of energy. It really adds to the performance.
You've got a great style on the leads, I really have to take notes.

Cool song altogether. :)

Tony!!! This mix is great!! Kick ass tone and your performance is right on...the singing is awesome! You are feelin' this mix with some damn passion, I've never heard in your voice or performance before...I think you made magic with this mix....it's saturated with excitement and got me all excited too!! I honestly could close my eyes and see you on stage performing this tune and the whole house rocking down....I wouldn't change a freakin' thing...You nailed it Doc!!!:cool:

Yeah, Greg has a VERY accurate set of wing nuts. He's pointed stuff out for me that I couldn't hear as a problem but trusting him I did as suggested and could hear the excellent result.
Go the Wingnut!

I gotta agree with everything you stated, Greg is a greatly talented and helpful guy on this H.R. BBS!!:D

Hey, finally got a listen. Why am I always the last one??

Mix 3 sounds great. Guitars are just rocking. I can hear a piano in there too, cool. Vox has a lot of room sound, at least that's what it sounds like. And they sit back in the mix. A lot of urgency in the vocals, which brings out a lot of energy. It really adds to the performance.
You've got a great style on the leads, I really have to take notes.

Cool song altogether. :)

Thanks for the comments Chili, the guitars are playing similar parts but the Strat is adding arpeggios, the piano was going to be more throughout the song but the brief part works better to my ears. That vocal was recorded in the bathroom-nothing to absorb the sound except the shower curtain..LOL! The solo is just a combination that seemed to work-the start is using an open position and I'm letting open strings ring through it, later I'm using a steel guitar style lick..basically weird stuff..
...........Hope the anniversary is starting off well!!!!:D

Tony!!! This mix is great!! Kick ass tone and your performance is right on...the singing is awesome! You are feelin' this mix with some damn passion, I've never heard in your voice or performance before...I think you made magic with this mix....it's saturated with excitement and got me all excited too!! I honestly could close my eyes and see you on stage performing this tune and the whole house rocking down....I wouldn't change a freakin' thing...You nailed it Doc!!!:cool:

Oops--sorry it's taken so long to respond...it's a story about human nature for the most part. I always though it had potential but I just had 2 parts that were too similar--the part after the solo opened it up so much more.
I would like to remix with a cleaner vocal as Greg_L suggested but I apparently don't have a dry wave file.....:mad:
I'll re-do the vocal sometime soon and post the results..:)

Cool!

I got to listen to the progression of all 3 mixes this evening and the 3rd one is a huge improvement!

The vocal track is very emotive, but not in an overdone sort of way. I do think they are a little bit wet or roomy as I think others have mentioned, but overall there is good balance and everything blends really nicely.

This just seems to be a more purposeful and clear mix in comparison.

Way to go :D.

I hope you can capture the same feeliing when you redo the vocals. A good take is hard to repeat.

Peace

Cool!

I got to listen to the progression of all 3 mixes this evening and the 3rd one is a huge improvement!

The vocal track is very emotive, but not in an overdone sort of way. I do think they are a little bit wet or roomy as I think others have mentioned, but overall there is good balance and everything blends really nicely.

This just seems to be a more purposeful and clear mix in comparison.

Way to go :D.

I will see if I can get a new vocal track worked out this weekend-thanks for all the encouragement and comments from Chili, Heatmiser, and everyone else out there!

You ever notice when we mix our own singing, we tend to bury the vocal and soak it in reverb, but when we mix someone else's stuff, it's a bit drier?

You ever notice when we mix our own singing, we tend to bury the vocal and soak it in reverb, but when we mix someone else's stuff, it's a bit drier?

Yes, I usually only use a bit of reverb-I went a bit more extreme on this mix though.
I was in a band a few years back with a female singer that wanted maximum effects on her voice-we just couldn't convince her otherwise...:rolleyes:

I toggled back and forth between mixes 3 & 4 for a while and I am torn.

Both takes have their high points, so it is tough.I like the new, drier vocals, but now they seem maybe a tiny bit too out front or even a little boomy in comparison to mix 3?

I would humbly suggest that you either, a) inch up the reverb a bit more on this take to set it back a bit more, or b) drop the level of this vocal track a bit, or c) eq some of the lower freq out of this vocal take.

I could be way off, but that is how I hear it. Sooo close to being just right :)!

Both takes have their high points, so it is tough.I like the new, drier vocals, but now they seem maybe a tiny bit too out front or even a little boomy in comparison to mix 3?

I would humbly suggest that you either, a) inch up the reverb a bit more on this take to set it back a bit more, or b) drop the level of this vocal track a bit, or c) eq some of the lower freq out of this vocal take.

I could be way off, but that is how I hear it. Sooo close to being just right :)!

Good points Heatmiser I agree with...tough decisions to make here... I suggest a) and c).....:D

I don't have any probs with boominess in the voice - mind you I'm using h/phones - just a tiny bit wetter would be nice though - OR throw something like the BBS sonicmaximiser on the vocal & see how that goes.
It rocks really well.
A slightly wetter vocal or a slight reduction will make the rockiness of the composition shine a little more.
excellent developments!

I can't add anything that wasn't already said. I really like how the new version flows, and I personally like the drier vocal and I don't think it's too boomy. But, like ray said, it's a personal taste.

Funny how when we hear a 'pro' commercial CD with too much reverb we never complain about it... :rolleyes:
I think it's the telling difference between the gear they use and what we have at our disposal.

I like this version Tony. It's my favorite so far. Nice job.

Good points Heatmiser I agree with...tough decisions to make here... I suggest a) and c).....:D

I need to find the right middle ground on this mix, what is too much vs. how much is not enough?:confused:

Wow, just getting here - just listened to all 4, and 4 is my favorite. Nice job re-doing the vocals - sounds to me like you just managed to take the reverb off the old track. Very nice song.

I don't have any probs with boominess in the voice - mind you I'm using h/phones - just a tiny bit wetter would be nice though - OR throw something like the BBS sonicmaximiser on the vocal & see how that goes.
It rocks really well.
A slightly wetter vocal or a slight reduction will make the rockiness of the composition shine a little more.
excellent developments!

I can't add anything that wasn't already said. I really like how the new version flows, and I personally like the drier vocal and I don't think it's too boomy. But, like ray said, it's a personal taste.

Funny how when we hear a 'pro' commercial CD with too much reverb we never complain about it... :rolleyes:
I think it's the telling difference between the gear they use and what we have at our disposal.

I like this version Tony. It's my favorite so far. Nice job.

Thanks for listening to yet another version of this song-all of you guys!
I'm working on a mix that will fall in between mix 3 and 4-You will probably see mix #5 coming out tomorrow!

Wow, just getting here - just listened to all 4, and 4 is my favorite. Nice job re-doing the vocals - sounds to me like you just managed to take the reverb off the old track. Very nice song.

Yeah I did several takes on the vocal today, this one was where I was getting slightly ragged but still had a nice edge. I will try a mix with a bit more verb so it's not quite as 'in your face'-probably tomorrow. Thanks for checking it out and the comments!

Here it is-finally redone vocal track with just a bit of reverb. GIve it a listen & comment-all of the previous mixes are still up for comparing.....:)

Siren Song Mix #4
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6870282

Sounding good Tony....nice performance. I think the vox could use something....they stand out a little. Not sure it's just volume...might need a touch of delay or something. I like the classic delay, as it sounds decent when done right...kinda like verb but not real echoey. Might be something to try.

Other than that, some nice playing. Good tones.....very tasty.

Back