Siren Song-redo of an old song

Sounding good Tony....nice performance. I think the vox could use something....they stand out a little. Not sure it's just volume...might need a touch of delay or something. I like the classic delay, as it sounds decent when done right...kinda like verb but not real echoey. Might be something to try.

Other than that, some nice playing. Good tones.....very tasty.

Thanks for checking it out again Dog, I think it's just a bit too out front with just a tiny bit of reverb-this new mix is wetter, hope it's closer to what is needed. Song lyrics are at the bottom of the page and all mixes are still up for comparison.
Siren Song mix #5
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6870819

Yup, I think you pretty much found a happy medium with this one :).

You went a little more back in the direction of mix3 than I expected, but still the best of the bunch imo. The guitar solos sound sweet on each mix regardless of how many times I check it out :cool:.

Listened to #4 and #5. I like 4 better. 5 is too wet for me. One thing I noticed about both is that the vocals lack "air". Not reverb, but "air". That whatever-it-is that gives a clean vocal track space and presence. It's hard to describe. Maybe ultra-high frequencies? It's like, listen to the consanants that should be sibilant. Your S's and T's. Those S and T sounds are not there. Naturally you don't want excessive sibilance, but an "S" sound should have some "sssssss" to it. Your should-be sibilant sounds are choked off. It gives the vocals a kind of bland and boxy feel to them.

Yup, I think you pretty much found a happy medium with this one :).

You went a little more back in the direction of mix3 than I expected, but still the best of the bunch imo. The guitar solos sound sweet on each mix regardless of how many times I check it out :cool:.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on this mix, I'm definitely still in the learning stage and I will probably always will be.:o
That little Classic 20 is a great small studio amp alright!

Listened to #4 and #5. I like 4 better. 5 is too wet for me. One thing I noticed about both is that the vocals lack "air". Not reverb, but "air". That whatever-it-is that gives a clean vocal track space and presence. It's hard to describe. Maybe ultra-high frequencies? It's like, listen to the consanants that should be sibilant. Your S's and T's. Those S and T sounds are not there. Naturally you don't want excessive sibilance, but an "S" sound should have some "sssssss" to it. Your should-be sibilant sounds are choked off. It gives the vocals a kind of bland and boxy feel to them.

Ok, they are the same recording with different amounts of effects. I used a ribbon mic-a cheap Nady RMS-4-and I'm still pretty new as far as getting a good sound out of it.
From your description above, I think I know what I did wrong. On my first few takes of the vocal I had some popping 'P's' so I backed off from the ribbon and probably I was even backing off more whan I knew the 'P' and 'S' sounds were coming up! Next time I'll A/B the vocal with a dynamic as well as the ribbon-Thanks Greg!!

% is cool by me but having read his critique I can hear what Greg means. He has GOOD ears.
This overall mix is the best so far for me.

Tony,

I apologize for having taken so long to respond to your invite.

Thanks for the heads up, BTW!

Good tune, really awesome guitar playing!

I agree with GregL about the vocals to a certain extent.

Greg describes the vocals as lacking "air" and too much reverb which is good observation but IMO the vocal also needs to be a bit more forward (in your face) and doubled or possibly tripled with an emphasis on the bass and midranges of your vocal range.

Please don't be offended by my comment!

You have a great voice and you can hit high notes that I can only remember being able to hit. :(

% is cool by me but having read his critique I can hear what Greg means. He has GOOD ears.
This overall mix is the best so far for me.

Thanks for listening to yet another trial mix, Ray. And I know I was holding back from the mic on that last try..

Tony,

I apologize for having taken so long to respond to your invite.

Thanks for the heads up, BTW!

Good tune, really awesome guitar playing!

I definitely wanted your opinion on this tune Randy. The song came to me within maybe half an hour many years ago-the new verse did not take very long either. As for the guitar solos, the first was pretty much worked out from jamming to it for years--however the ending solo was not. When I hit the record button I had no idea what I wanted to play and it was all spontaneous and the first take-I had no intention of it being a keeper track..

I agree with GregL about the vocals to a certain extent.

Greg describes the vocals as lacking "air" and too much reverb which is good observation but IMO the vocal also needs to be a bit more forward (in your face) and doubled or possibly tripled with an emphasis on the bass and midranges of your vocal range.

Please don't be offended by my comment!

You have a great voice and you can hit high notes that I can only remember being able to hit. :(

Oh, I couldn't be offended by comments-and they are all good to me. And my high notes are not as high as in the years past-in the early 2000's I was in a band with a very talented lady that was a music teacher. She had classical training and perfect pitch, and could start any song accapella-always in perfect key. When I sang harmony with her I would have to push myself for those notes but she inspired me to succeed every time!:D

Hey Tony!

This is a good song, kinda reminds me of vintage Neil Young. My only nit are the drums. They sound a bit like as though the drummer is playing for himself and that means a couple of timing problems. Voice sounds a bit muffled too, but you've already said you'd like to redo the vocals. Otherwise I really enjoyed listening to it.

Cheers
Joe

Hey Tony!

This is a good song, kinda reminds me of vintage Neil Young. My only nit are the drums. They sound a bit like as though the drummer is playing for himself and that means a couple of timing problems. Voice sounds a bit muffled too, but you've already said you'd like to redo the vocals. Otherwise I really enjoyed listening to it.

Cheers
Joe

Thanks for visiting and giving the song a listen, Joe. The drums are canned drums-EZDrummer-I think I did lower the snare a bit to even out the kit sound.
The song is probably 15 years old or more and I added a section after the second verse for a little musical diversion, the slide guitar was just a part I added to try out and I liked how it sounded in there.
Thanks for the Neil comparison-I did a version of N.Y.'s Down by the River a few months back, you can find it here-
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5849289

Haha! Yeah that's better. Now maybe it's a little bright. You went from no sibilance to a little too much, but that's easily fixable. Put a de-esser on it or find the harsh "SSSS" sounds and cut a little in that frequency. You can compress the vox some too to smooth the delivery out some. Overall much better. :)

Haha! Yeah that's better. Now maybe it's a little bright. You went from no sibilance to a little too much, but that's easily fixable. Put a de-esser on it or find the harsh "SSSS" sounds and cut a little in that frequency. You can compress the vox some too to smooth the delivery out some. Overall much better. :)

Thanks Greg, I have created a folder outside of the mixing program for dry vocals so I can process them as needed now. Lots of the dry takes I thought were saved were overwritten by Audition-damn that program anyway!!!!!!! But I started with Cool Edit and it has become so easy for my otherwise..:rolleyes:

Maybe a 2 mic setup might give me better results, a close up dynamic and condenser or ribbon more at a distance....I need more experimentation time!

Back