Old Tennessee -Final Mix-

mark skinner

Hello , Here's a singer songwriter type song I've just finished up. I wrote this while living on my boat on the Tennessee river. I Finally took the time to record it. This is the 5th mix/master and "hopefully" it's finished. All thoughts , crits or suggestions are welcomed. Thank You .. mark The pause was removed before the tempo change in this Final Mix.
thanx @HumanPlanet

Last edited:
Cool tune, love it! Mix is quite clear and good to my ears. Maybe some of the percussive elements (shakers) are a bit too forward?

p.s. I'd like to download it, I'm not often on the web when I listen to music... any chance you might enable downloading on SoundCloud? Thanks!

@Serendipity Records I will include a link to SoundClick. It's already set up for free downloads from there. Thanks for the comment and observation.. mark
PS - Anyone considering themselves an audiophile .. should consider using Sound "Click" in some form , better streaming and download quality. ms

Last edited:
great song.
mix works for me, although the bass could be a bit lounder i think. Could be just a matter of taste though.

cheers

roland

Listened again today, turns out those shakers aren't as prominent as I first thought. I like that tempo transition -- creative :)

Soundclick is my go-to as well, it just doesn't have the same near-commercial appeal for listeners. More of a musicians' club than a publicity outlet.

@Serendipity Records , yeah .. I went back and listened to the shakers pretty close. I thought they were where they should be. I figured it was during the pause before the tempo change that was your concearn. Still thought it was ok. The pause before the tempo change section was a nightmare to get right as it wasn't in the original project. The Cakewalk forum guys wouldn't quit untill I got it right. Thanks for the listens and replys. @yowie Thanks for the listen and reply. This one has been up on the Cakewalk forum for a week with "several" comments about the bass EQ and levels. Iv'e been slowly been bringing it up and may need to touch it a little more. Thanks You mark

Thanks @JAPOV , I've always been a Doobie Bros fan.
I've done a Remix and probably the Final . I Finally got the pause at the tempo change the coorect length . Don't know why this was such a problem . Thanks .. mark

Last edited:
I've done a Remix and probably the Final . I Finally got the pause at the tempo change the coorect length . Don't know why this wa such a problem . Thanks .. mark

Another really nice song.

I think the pause sounded 'right' in the previous version.

BTW, Forever I am & Old Hickory Lake, ❤️

Last edited:
Nice listen, Mark. I'd like the vocal(s) up a taste, but that's just me. The singing's the obvious focus of the song, and I like it to be prominent. It's a thought/preference not a crit/suggestion.

@HumanPlanet , Yeah .. thats the problem I had with it. I Kept thinking it sounded right (or acceptable) but , kept getting bad comments about it . I had to get away from it for a while to get a better perspective. Thanks for all the Great comments on my Soundcloud page. @dobro , Thanks for the listen and commenting . I'll probably do some tweeking on it later and will take your comment into consideration. I'm never sure how loud to put my own vocals. Never a problem with someone elses. ?? mark

Yeah .. thats the problem I had with it. I Kept thinking it sounded right (or acceptable) but , kept getting bad comments about it . I had to get away from it for a while to get a better perspective.

Interestingly (to me at least) I played this to some guys I was with last night (three mid to late 20s rappers) and they liked the song but didn't like the pause. We played a bit and came up with this:

View attachment Old Tennesee (No Pause).mp3

I seem to remember you had a mix similar to this early on and discounted it.

I feel your pain!

Last edited:
@HumanPlanet Yes ! , that is the way it was originally recorded. No pause , just jumped straight from 68bpm to 80bpm. I was convinced to put the pause in by members on a different forum and they are Normally right. Now I Don't like the pause and the faster bpm part doesn't have the same impact after a pause. Thanks for playing with it and sending the mp3. I loaded it into my project and A/Bd the mix. I made some changes along the way that will help with the No pause . (as heard in your mix). I will probably realease this one but will Remove the pause in my project before hand. Thank You for reminding me to trust my own gut feelings . Pass this along to your friends and Thank them as well .. mark

Thanks , I only recently started officially releasing my originals. I did one yesterday , and while I was in there I checked my streaming bank acccount. So far I've made $ 82 cents ! I'm Well on my way to buying a new Apollo interface. Soundcloud and SoundClick will always remain intact. ms

Back