Simple question re: polarity flipping

Adam P

My console doesn't have an polarity flipping switches, so I've thought about building a couple little boxes with an XLR in and out and a switch, but I don't know what kind of switch I should use. All it has to do is reverse the Pin 2 and Pin 3 signals. If anyone could tell me what kind of switch I'd need, or actually direct me to some (preferably from a place like Markertek or something), I'd appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

Adam P said:
My console doesn't have an polarity flipping switches, so I've thought about building a couple little boxes with an XLR in and out and a switch, but I don't know what kind of switch I should use. All it has to do is reverse the Pin 2 and Pin 3 signals. If anyone could tell me what kind of switch I'd need, or actually direct me to some (preferably from a place like Markertek or something), I'd appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

The easiest way is to make a short patch cable with pins 2 & 3 reversed on one side. But for a switched box, use a DPDT on-on switch, as follows:

Mic 2 - Out 2 - Mic 3
Mic 3 - Out 3 - Mic 2

You can get these anywhere. There are lots of different kinds. Radio Shack even has some.

Will any DPDT on-on switch do, or will I need to look for a particular type? I know I could simply rewire a cable, but I'd like to have the ability to flip phase without having to repatch, for ease of comparison among other things.

Thanks!

Adam P said:
Will any DPDT on-on switch do, or will I need to look for a particular type? I know I could simply rewire a cable, but I'd like to have the ability to flip phase without having to repatch, for ease of comparison among other things.

Thanks!

Well I don't want to say absolutely anything would work, because there are zillions of parts out there, but nearly all DPDT on-on switches will work. Make sure it is on-on and not something else like on-off-on or momentary. You'd want something with big enough terminals to solder easily, and something that's easy to attach to a box (panel mount). It mostly comes down to the kind of switch lever, rocker, or button you'd like to have.

Adam P said:

Oh, you mean like this!?:

This one is home made too. It's just a basic DPDT switch, you can see how it's wired in the pic. Made mine for the same reasons you mentioned. Works great too.

Attachments

• S4020080.JPG
    S4020080.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 12
  • S4020081.JPG
    S4020081.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 12
Yep, exactly like that. What switch did you use? And did you wire the Pin 1 (shield connection) through the switch, or hard wired from XLR to XLR?

Edit: Nevermind, I see your Pin 1 connection goes directly from XLR to XLR.

Thanks again!

Back