Simple guitar input question

gypsyblues73

Just got started using my Neo today, and I just plugged my guitar straight into the input on the front (which the manual says is for "passive"). Sounded great, recorded some samples, etc...now what if I want to run my guitar from my amp into the Neo? Like, using the emulated output on my amp? Would I plug it into the H input on the back? I know the manual says that the backside guitar input is for "active" guitars, but I have no idea what that means (and I'm assuming they ain't talkin' about pickups).

Plug yer amp's line out to line in. Plug yer guitars into guitar in.

Pickups and microphones have very low output, thus preamps have special inputs for them. Active pickups are still low level even though they are amplified themselves because they still have to plug into guitar inputs on things like guitar amps and stompboxes.

Any other gear is high level, labeled -10 dbv ('consumer gear') and +4 dbv ('pro' gear), except headphone outputs (iPods, cell phones, portable players) which are even higher level (turn the device's volume down low or use an attenuating patch chord to lower the signal before plugging into a preamp). Tape decks, mixers, component cd & dvd players, FM tuners, effects units (reverbs & delays), compressors, - anything labeled "line out" goes to the input labeled "line in".

Also, power amp outs go into speakers, passive crossovers, attenuators, dummy loads, antennas, or linear amplifiers (never into a preamp or a line/mic/guitar in!). Another danger is a high voltage line driver (used in old PA systems, churches and halls) usually there's a transformer at each end of the line - just run away if you encounter this or seek professional assistance.

SPDIF and AES/EBU on RCA or coaxial connectors along with ADAT & TOS-Link on optical connectors are digital and not analog audio and don't connect to anything other than themselves.

Hope this answers yer question (probably too much info but I can't help it - Gemini w/ Virgo rising, AADD and Mtn Dew!).

And when it comes up, search here for the scoop on balanced v.s. unbalanced inputs and outputs, hi and lo-z microphones, butter or margarine, etc. Good luck and Enjoy!

Last edited:
Sprechen ze Deutsche? :confused:

Plug yer amp's line out to line in. Plug yer guitars into guitar in.

So you're saying I should still plug my guitar into the guitar line-in, in the front of the Neo, and run my amp's line out to one of the inputs on the back of the Neo (E through H)?

Yep, you've got it. Making sense?

The Neo has 4 Combo jacks on the back (A-D) the XLR is for mics. The 1/4" jack (in the center) is a line in just like inputs (E-H) but A-D are more sensitive - amplify lower level signals more.

The front panel guitar input (H - ends up the same place as the back panel H input) is high impedance (1 Mega ohm - one million ohms) and is pretty sensitive, so it'll amplify yer pickups well and won't 'load' them down which would make the sound muddy and reduce the highs (it's like the lower the input impedance, the more power is drained from the pickups - like heavy weight-heavy load). That's why you see direct boxes (DI's) in studios 'cause you can't plug a guitar into the board and sound decent unless it's got a Hi-z (high impedance) pickup.

For active pickups you'll want to experiment 'cause they are buffered electronically by their internal preamp and don't get loaded. The A-D 1/4" line inputs are 8K ohms (thousands), E-H are 4K, so you might like A-D better. The only rules you shouldn't break in the studio are safety rules,

I'm glad you were able to get through my first reply o.k. Hope the same here. I can't help but get carried away when I have to chance to educate.

Enjoy yer music!

(BTW, I just double posted a minute ago 'cause my new posts appear and disappear with no pattern I can discern yet - just gonna have to trust the system)

Last edited:
I think I see what you're saying, but how does my guitar actually play through my amp if there's nothing going into the amp's input? That's the part that's kinda confusing me. Like, where how is me plugging into the H input and running the amp's line out to one of the E-G outputs going to work if there's no signal going from my guitar to my actual amp? Thanks for all the other info though (I need as much as I can get)!

Last edited:
Ah, now I know what you want to do. You're right, that doesn't get the signal from your amp into your Neo.

Plug the guitar into the amp input and plug the line out of the amp into a line input on the back of the Neo (A-D are your best preamps but E-H are good). Viola! Yer ready to record some amp'ed guitar.

Cool, I figured it was as simple as that, but I just wanted to clarify (don't wanna blow up my shiny new toy!). Btw, does the "H" input in the back work the same as the one in the front (i.e., specifically for guitar), or is the rear "H" input exactly the same as the E-G?

Rear H is the same input routing as the front one, but the front H input jack has a very high impeadance for guitar pickups. The rear H input is the same as the other line ins, E-G.

Rear H is the same input routing as the front one, but the front H input jack has a very high impeadance for guitar pickups. The rear H input is the same as the other line ins, E-G.

Oh, like you already explained to me in post #5...DURRR...sorry 'bout that :) Thanks again!

Back