Setting up recording hardware.

Omniscient

Over a year ago I posted here asking questions about how to set up a new mixer that was loaned to me. I used a small Behringer mixer for about half a year when I was given a Behringer MX2442A console for a while. Due to personal issues I never set it up.

So I guess I'm here now to ask the same questions.

My list of equipment:

Behringer MX2442A Console
Behringer monitors
M-Audio 2496 audio card
All of the required cables
A computer of course
Sony ACID Pro
Cakewalk Sonar 4

I guess that's pretty much it.

If I remember correctly what I did with the 4 channel Behringer console was I mic'd my guitar amp and ran the mic cable to the 1st mono input. Then I ran a cable from the AUX send to the input on the M-Audio audio card.

If anyone could tell me how to hook the stuff up it would be greatly appreciated.

A general rule is:

1 feed instruments, mikes etc into the mixer
2 take the main output of the mixer and feed into the soundcard
3 do your thing using the PC recording software
4 take the output of your soundcard and feed it to 'tape in' (or equivalent) on the mixer
5 switch this input to the control room output on the mixer
6 connect the monitors to the control room output

There will be variations on this (for example, the control room output can be used to drive monitors and headphone amps), but by and large this arrangement serves most purposes, and keeps the input and output paths nicely away from each other

gecko zzed said:
A general rule is:

1 feed instruments, mikes etc into the mixer
2 take the main output of the mixer and feed into the soundcard
3 do your thing using the PC recording software
4 take the output of your soundcard and feed it to 'tape in' (or equivalent) on the mixer
5 switch this input to the control room output on the mixer
6 connect the monitors to the control room output

There will be variations on this (for example, the control room output can be used to drive monitors and headphone amps), but by and large this arrangement serves most purposes, and keeps the input and output paths nicely away from each other

Right now I have a mic in the 1st channel. I have a L/R 3/4" to RCA going from the Main Output to the left and right Input on the audio card. I get signal on the mixer but I can't get anything on Cakewalk or ACID Pro. I Have a RCA to RCA going from the Output of the audio card to the left and right Tape In jacks on the mixer. Step 5 kind of confuses me. I have the monitors hooked up to the Control Room jacks.

Step 5 may be why I'm not getting a signal to the recording software. The mixer is picking up a singnal but the software and the M-Audio Delta Control panel aren't.

Ok, I got a signal to the card now. It was just a bad connection. But nothing is comming up in cakewalk or acid still.

Back