Seeking mixer for Tascam 38

paperhatrecords

I bought a Tascam 38 Reel-To-Reel recorder about a year ago, and after a lot of fixups finally got it working. The problem is that the Ramsa mixing board I got with the reel-to-reel sounds like crap - doesn't have any headroom, so everything sounds muffled and weak. My next question is what sort of mixing board should I get that would ideally meet the following specifications:

- analog (although if there is additional digital effects processing that can be turned off without interfering with the signal I wouldn't mind the bonus)
- minimum 8 separate channels, obviously
- direct out and tape in for each channel
- would prefer if the at least the mic and line inputs were on top instead of in the back for easier access/maneuverability
- good quality, nice preamps, plenty of headroom.
- < $500

Does such a mixer exist? I've searched around and there aren't many new mixing boards anymore that have direct outs per channel, as most people have gone digital; I don't mind buying an older board at all as long as it's quality.

I've noticed the many good things said about the M-300 series, but I still wish the line/mic inputs were on top instead of in back, beneath all the RCA jacks. I record solo, so I'm probably not going to be using more than 2 channels at once, and thus would be moving the mic or line around alot and would prefer not to crawl around below a tangle of wires... That of course, is a minor requirement compared to getting the best quality, so I'd work around it if it is a worthwhile mixer.

Alright, thanks in advance...

Forget new mixers, you def wanna go used and older. The 300 & 500 series is a good choice but so is the lowly M-30 (great for solo work). All quality and can be had under your budget. Some of the features you are asking for are not doable. The fore mentioned mixers are pretty much standard recommendation and will serve you well.

Thanks cjacek,
I expected that to be the answer from the preliminary research - just wasn't sure if there was some fantastically laid out, quality mixer that I didn't know about. I really hate the mic/line in the back at the bottom thing...wonder why nobody though to design a board with per-channel direct outs and tape ins on the back and the stuff we actually move around alot up on the top (or at least above the RCA in/outs on the back).

Aesthetic quibbles aside, I'd be more than willing to track down a 300/500 over a M-30 if the quality and flexibility is significantly higher. Assume I'd probably want, say, a 308 or 312?

Aesthetic quibbles aside, I'd be more than willing to track down a 300/500 over a M-30 if the quality and flexibility is significantly higher. Assume I'd probably want, say, a 308 or 312?

I think that the flexibility will be more so if you go with the 300 series, one with more channels but the quality is about the same you'd expect from those old Tascam mixers, which is really nice. The M-30 has hidden gems, when it comes to routing so I wouldn't discount it either. I'd say go for the one which has more stuff than you need and is in decent shape. Local would be best, obviously but shipping a 320B, for instance (or even a 312), would scream "pallet" or "crate". Otherwise, no bubble wrap will save it. ;)

I used to use an M-1516. This is a very nice mixer for this machine and you can find them cheap. They don't sound bad either.

I have a Tascam M-2516 (16x8x2 config) mixer. All in/out are on top. Each channel has direct out and tape in. It has served me well and you should be able to find one under $500 I think the M-1516 is the same, but with 4 buss vs. the 2516 having 8 buss. I don't know how the mic pres stack up against the 300 and 500 series console style boards, but I don't have any complaints, unless you are going to be running a SM7b into it.;)

Very nice! Those look more like what I'm looking for, at least from a layout perspective - although it is supposedly somewhat inferior to the 300 series from a technical perspective. But for someone who has used both, how significant is the difference? Just not as much headroom, worse preamps, or what?

As a followup, anyone know where a good place to shop for any of these, or will I just end up having to wait for months until either Craigslist or ebay finally pop up with what I want... Saw a 2516 for $600 + $100 shipping, but other than that have been completely fruitless finding any m-300 series anywhere. Any specialty vintage mixer sites that are a good deal and have reliable shipping?

There is a 2516 up here in Cleveland for $250. I could oversee the shipping for you if you want.

I bought a Tascam 38 Reel-To-Reel recorder about a year ago, and after a lot of fixups finally got it working. The problem is that the Ramsa mixing board I got with the reel-to-reel sounds like crap - doesn't have any headroom, so everything sounds muffled and weak. My next question is what sort of mixing board should I get that would ideally meet the following specifications:

- analog (although if there is additional digital effects processing that can be turned off without interfering with the signal I wouldn't mind the bonus)
- minimum 8 separate channels, obviously
- direct out and tape in for each channel
- would prefer if the at least the mic and line inputs were on top instead of in the back for easier access/maneuverability
- good quality, nice preamps, plenty of headroom.
- < $500

Does such a mixer exist? I've searched around and there aren't many new mixing boards anymore that have direct outs per channel, as most people have gone digital; I don't mind buying an older board at all as long as it's quality.

I've noticed the many good things said about the M-300 series, but I still wish the line/mic inputs were on top instead of in back, beneath all the RCA jacks. I record solo, so I'm probably not going to be using more than 2 channels at once, and thus would be moving the mic or line around alot and would prefer not to crawl around below a tangle of wires... That of course, is a minor requirement compared to getting the best quality, so I'd work around it if it is a worthwhile mixer.

Alright, thanks in advance...

If you don't want to crawl around the back to re-patch things, get some patch-bays. It's worth the effort.

Wow! Thanks for all your help guys! Wish I had time to go down to Austin to get that 2516. Talldog, thanks so much for your offer - but wouldn't want to inconvenience you (unless it's yours you are trying to get rid of or something). I think in the meantime I'll just keep my eyes open for a 2516 locally or find a 300 series and get a patch bay to alleviate my layout problem.

Thanks again for all your advice. Really this forum is always a godsend for us recordists!

I love my Tascam M-520!

I was originally looking for the M-512 (another 8 buss mixer, 12 channels) but found they were scarce in the wild.

I'm a big fan of having an 8 buss mixer for an 8 track recorder. Makes mixing and bouncing very convenient.

Back