Scored me a Fender Bass VI!!!

Unsprung

Yesterday afternoon, I'd stopped at Sam Ash in Indianapolis, after a visit to the VA medical center, in the morning. I was planning to stop at Guitar Center and IRC Music, after Sam Ash, as I was looking to try out different all tube combo amps, other than the Peavey Classic 50/410 I've pretty much settled for, so far.

When I went into Sam Ash, I noticed that they had a Fender Hot Rod DeVille combo (4 x 10), but nature was calling so bad, I had to answer before I tried it out. After answering the call of nature, I decided I'd go take a look at the basses before I tried out the Hot Rod DeVille. There were some retro-styled Fender Jazz Basses (with a pickup cover), and they've got a Fender Jaguar Bass (in red, with color matched head stock), and behind the Jag Bass I saw something with 6 strings close together. At first, I thought "cool, a Jaguar Baritone," but it's got 3 pickups, and as I look further up, the head stock says Bass VI. On the tag, it said "Pre-Owned w/Case $699.99."

So I do test drive the Fender Hot Rod DeVille with a Gretsch Electromatic G5120, and was going to try a Carlo Robelli similar to and $100.00 cheaper than the Gretsch, but as soon as I flipped the Standby switch to On, the Carlo Robelli started feeding back SO BADLY, and no matter where and how I held the guitar, I just completely turned off the amp, and decided it was time to give the Fender Bass VI a whirl. I didn't even pay attention to the brand/model/settings of the bass combo that I plugged into, but that didn't really matter. I now own a (according to the serial number lookup at the Fender web site) 1995-1996 Fender Bass VI.

This one is going to figure heavily in my original surf guitar instrumentals, some that I've been noodling with for going on 17 years. That I created parts for my first two instrumentals, while jamming in the store, is what sold me on it. That, and I don't have to "relearn" my guitar chops, as I would with a true baritone guitar. :)

Matt

Supercool :)

My main guitar is a jazzmaster which I'm planning on stringing BEADGB (like a 7 string without the high e). Should be somewhat similar. Those Bass VI things are way cool though.

Halion said:
Supercool :)

My main guitar is a jazzmaster which I'm planning on stringing BEADGB (like a 7 string without the high e). Should be somewhat similar. Those Bass VI things are way cool though.
At a surf band show I went to in Chicago, back in May of last year, several of the bands used Jazzmasters, and it was really my first practical experience hearing a JM live. I quipped that "the only thing that can go lower than a Jazzmaster is a baritone." But I was wrong, I s'ppose...when ya consider different tunings. I guess "the only thing that can go lower than a Jazzmaster is a Bass VI." :D

Matt

O BOING

my father has a pre CBS fender VI with the 3 way switch panels. I believe there was only a small number of 3 way switch models done before changing to the current 4 way switch set up

heck what a beautiful instrument

you guys should check out danny gatton on the fender VI style thang

Back