Scarlett 2i2 and Shure SM57 very low volume on acoustic on recommended setting.

Chuku

Hey all!
I just bought new SM57 and started recording an acoustic guitar through Scarlett 2i2 using Abelton live 9 as DAW. With mic placed about 8-10 inches further from guitar and gain on interface around 45-50%, i could barely hear anything. The sound was very thin, low and the wave in DAW was also thin..
Then i set my Gain level in Scarlett about 90% but still the volume was too low and thin. Now, with volume set too MAX 100%, i could hear little high what i recorded but not so high as gain was set to 100%.
Is there anything that i am missing? I have been trying to figure it out but its really frustrating..
Please see the attached picture of sound wave where the first wave is set to 90% and the 2nd to 100%. How can i attach sound sample?. Thanks in advance.

-Scarlett 2i2
-Shure SM57
-Abelton live 9
-Takamine EG511SSC

Attachments

• Capture.GIF
    Capture.GIF
    22.6 KB · Views: 80
Does the green "halo" around the gain knob on the 2i2 light up when you play the guitar?

What level (dBFS) do you read on the input channel in the DAW?

Chuku, i have a 2i2 and have recorded an acoustic using an SM57 so this should work. I found the halo was green at just over 50% gain on the 2i2 but quickly went to amber and red if I went up to about 3/4 on the gain knob.

Does the green "halo" around the gain knob on the 2i2 light up when you play the guitar?

What level (dBFS) do you read on the input channel in the DAW?

The green light only lights up when i put the gain upto 100%. when the gain is less some around 90%, the green light does not lights up in the scarlett knob..
I am not sure what dbfs means. where can i find this??. I am beginner so please bare with me..
Thanks

db Full scale. As in 0dB is the maximum, over which things distort. Are you sure that you don't have an electronic gain in the software turned down. If you adjust the level on the interface so the over level warning doesn't come on, but only just - you should have a very hot signal (too hot, really) If this then records very low, there could be a fader down somewhere. On cubase, that I use, I have a knob on my interface that I turn to set the gain - but the input channel has the ability to add or remove input gain in the computer, not the interface. I'd bet somewhere something is turned down in the software - you just have to find it.

Where exactly is your mic pointing at the guitar? Its normal to start by pointing the mic at about the 12th fret. You should get plenty of signal at 50% gain.

don't worry too much about dbfs - it means decibels full scale. But when you've got a track armed for recording and say something into your mic you should see the level in you DAW increase. This level is measured in dBFS. The scale in your DAW will probably go from -48 to +12.

Try this now - just hold an "Oooooo" into your mic and see what level you get with the gain at 50%.

There's also a little switch on the front of your 2i2 for "Line" and "Inst"

If you're recording through a mic you want this on "line"

I don't know whats the problem.. When i plug my guitar directly through cable in interface, it looks fine and the gain khob lights Red if i increase more than 40-50%...
But while trying to record through SM57 which is placed just 8-10 inches far and placed right infront of sound hole, the sound is thin and low.. The gain knob lights Green on 100%...

db Full scale. As in 0dB is the maximum, over which things distort. Are you sure that you don't have an electronic gain in the software turned down. If you adjust the level on the interface so the over level warning doesn't come on, but only just - you should have a very hot signal (too hot, really) If this then records very low, there could be a fader down somewhere. On cubase, that I use, I have a knob on my interface that I turn to set the gain - but the input channel has the ability to add or remove input gain in the computer, not the interface. I'd bet somewhere something is turned down in the software - you just have to find it.

Hi Rob, there is no level warning.. Scarlett shows Red signal if the level is too high and green if the level is fine.. But in my case while recording from Sm57, the signal shows Green only if i turn Gain level from interface to 100% or if i place mic very close..
But everything goes normal when i direct input my acoustic through cable (DI)..
Not sure whats wrong.. And i am using abelton live 9

Just to make sure - does your mic cable have an XLR connector going into the 2i2 (looks like the connector going into the mic, except it's male)?

I don't know whats the problem.. When i plug my guitar directly through cable in interface, it looks fine and the gain khob lights Red if i increase more than 40-50%...
But while trying to record through SM57 which is placed just 8-10 inches far and placed right infront of sound hole, the sound is thin and low.. The gain knob lights Green on 100%...

Like I said earlier. Are you switching from instrument to Line when you change from guitar to mic?

- Where did you purchase the SM57? Retailer, ebay, or other?
- Are you playing a quiet finger picking style versus a louder pick/strumming style?

Yes, the mic could be fake. A good first test is its mass. A genuine SM57 weighs 284g (10 oz) but then the microphone does have a very low sensitivity.

The 2i2 should have ASIO drivers installed which should avoid the gain controls in Windows but it is worth checking Sounds and Devices and ensuring that the AI is set as default rec/playback device and that levels are set at max* but as I say, the ASIO drivers should sort that.

Note that mic level should be at only -18dBFS average with peaks to about -8. Same goes for DI'ed guitar so if it is much higher turn it down!

*Some USB audio devices, 16bit mixers e.g. use "generic" Windows drivers and in those cases it is usual to have to pull down the onboard gain from 100% to 5% (yes, Five!) or less.

Dave.

As others have said, the combination should work--but the SM57 is probably the second most often counterfeited mic in the world, behind only the SM58. Shure used to have a guide on their website telling you some things to look for to check the authenticity of microphones.

On another topic, one of the things you mentioned is that the mic is pointed into the sound hole. This won't have much to do with the overall level but it's not a recommended mic placement--you tend to get a sound that's a bit "boomy" and lacking detail. As somebody mentioned, around the 12th fret generally works well or, if you record in stereo, the 12th fret and the other pointed between the sound hole and the bridge tends to work well.

" or, if you record in stereo, the 12th fret and the other pointed between the sound hole and the bridge tends to work we" I say this with great trepidation to someone of your vast experience Bob, but that ain't "stereo".
It is two discrete channels of different timbres.

No need to tell you but for the noobs...Stereo would be a pair of crossed (co-incident) directional mics at some distance (HAVE to be capacitors ) or one of several spaced mic setups, or MS. "Stereo" means "solid" nowt to do with two channels.

Dave.

Back