Room tempature ?

dreib

I moved my gear into a dedicated space this last summer with no heat. I have since gotten a oil filled radiator to keep it warm during the winter months but Im not really sure what the lowest temp I should keep the room at while im not there?

I have drums , guitars , mics , etc. etc. in the space so im thinking around 55f?

What do you guys think?

I would think between 40-80F would work, for the instruments with wood I would also worry about humidity, between 20-30% at least. I think too little or too much humidity would be the major concern other than freezing.

I would think between 40-80F would work, for the instruments with wood I would also worry about humidity, between 20-30% at least. I think too little or too much humidity would be the major concern other than freezing.

Humidity will generally be whatever it is outside , for now I have the thermostat set around 50-55 and when Im there I keep the temp around 65.

If you've got any solid wood acoustic guitars, the preferred humidity forthem is 45-55%. Keep them in cases with case humidifiers.

Turn up the heat an hour or so before you are going to start tracking so everything has come up to temperature - especially guitars, or you'll be retuning a lot as they change -put them out on stands while warming up the room.

Is the room at least insulated? And what are the dimensions of your room?

Cheap improvement:

Add at least a small fan to circulate the air, which will keep the heat distribution more "even" around the room. If you don't do this, the small amount of "heat" that you're introducing to the room is going to go immediately up to the ceiling, and I'm guessing your guitars aren't stored on the ceiling.

Good luck.

Is the room at least insulated? And what are the dimensions of your room?

Cheap improvement:

Add at least a small fan to circulate the air, which will keep the heat distribution more "even" around the room. If you don't do this, the small amount of "heat" that you're introducing to the room is going to go immediately up to the ceiling, and I'm guessing your guitars aren't stored on the ceiling.

Good luck.

Yea the room is completely insulated, no windows , one door to the studio, then a small hallway to a door that exits to the outside. Room is roughly 20x15 with a 8 foot ceiling . I do have a fan also .

Back