Roland UA-5....Need some HELP!

WinstonCowboy

Hey...I am looking to buy a new soundcard for my laptop...I bought a M-Audio Duo...and that FUCKER does not work in XP....check out these excerpts from a previous post of mine...including reviews from 2 other users:

Here is what happens: If I play a song...OUT OF NOWHERE...the audio drops out and this HORRIBLE static...fuzz...feedback..NOISE!!! Comes blaring out louder than the music was playing!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Make your fucking heart skip a damn beat when it happens.....It is GOD awful!!!!

Reliability: 1
Never use this on a gig without backup! Also, I had exactly the same issues as Mike on this page. I tried to use it at home to monitor my editing. Every day - sometimes 3 times a day - my ears got BLASTED - and I mean blasted - with a crunch/thump of pure digital distortion. I tried every driver I could find, old ones, current ones, beta ones - same effect. The laptop was XP Home - using all the hints and tips in the Duo manual. Also, I used the MME drivers and the ASIO drivers - neither worked.

Reliability: 1
The Duo experiences awful, intermittent distortion and blasts of noise under Windows XP, which is great if you're Merzbow but it's probably not what most people want out of a DAW. I'm ready to chuck the thing out the window, pound my head with a hammer and check myself into the mental institution all because of this little hunk of metal. Don't depend on it to work unless you're using an older version of Windows. What's the voodoo? Why won't it work under XP? I can't tell you, but that's my experience. Learn from my mistake!

NEVER TRY TO USE AN M-AUDIO DUO IN XP UNLESS YOU WANT TO BLOW YOUR FUCKING EARS OFF OR DEVELOP AN IRREGULAR HEART BEAT!

That aside....the guy who wrote the first review up above...said that he returned the Duo and got a Roland UA-5....and said that it was rock solid in XP...and that he is really happy with it....Is this a good option...it is basically identical in features to the DUO?

I need 2 mic inputs...phantom power...A/D converters...basically everything the Duo has on it.

Can you guys recommend something for me...and try to keep it under $300...I WILL not be buying another M-Audio product again...so please do not mention a firewire unit made by M-Audio.

Thanks so much,

WINSTON

Back