RME Totalmix to Sonar?

Steve West

If I just want to use my HDSP9652 to get my firewire directly into Sonar for mixing do I have to go through the RME Totalmix program first for routing and attenuation? I would like to just send all 16 ADAT tracks directly into Sonars mixer for routing and leveling bypassing the Totalmix matrix.

Thanks,
Steve

I would say no... I use the RME DIGI9636 and go straight into Sonar via my ADAT interface in my mixer... I don't use Totalmix :)

edit : didn't spot the reference to firewire first time round... where does that fit in? I can't see any firewire capabilities on your soundcard.

Firewire?

Oh, I am probably using the wrong terminology. It has Toslink in and outs. Just what is "Firewire"?

Steve

Steve West said:
Oh, I am probably using the wrong terminology. It has Toslink in and outs. Just what is "Firewire"?

Firewire is similar to USB in that it send a serial signal down wires. Toslink is optical (in our case ADAT)

TotalMix is used mainly for monitor mixes if you happen to be recording a band all together or something and need to feed them all individual headphone mixes or something. It actually has NO effect on the recorded signal level at all, just how it is monitored as it's coming in.

cawhite12 said:
TotalMix is used mainly for monitor mixes if you happen to be recording a band all together or something and need to feed them all individual headphone mixes or something. It actually has NO effect on the recorded signal level at all, just how it is monitored as it's coming in.

I set up my individual monitoring routes within Sonar as busses and sends... works quite well.

Does this software come on the RME installation CD? I might have a look at it one day...

Synkrotron said:
I set up my individual monitoring routes within Sonar as busses and sends... works quite well.

Does this software come on the RME installation CD? I might have a look at it one day...

It comes with the installer (at least it did for the FireFace 800) off of the website. If you download the latest drivers (which you should) then you should get the TotalMix with it. It's pretty basic in concept, but does quite a bit if you're recording a band. You would still need to setup busses in Sonar if you want to send FX through the monitoring chain however.

Back