Remote Guitar Amp Recording

johnny5dm

First of all, I have no clue why none of the first 4 times I tried to post this worked. What the crap??

Anyway...

So I'm going to be recording a full band here in a couple weeks, with all of them playing simultaneously. For isolation, I want to put the amp in a separate room. So, how do most people normally do this? Can I just run a really long 1/4" to it? Should I get something like the radial re-amping kit so I can run a balanced signal to the X-Amp where it goes back to 1/4"?

How do most people normally do this?

I run a 50 foot speaker cable from the cab to the amp which I keep in the control room. There can be problems with longer cable runs but I've never run into any of them.

get a headphone amp. give everyone a set of headphones from the mixer. that way they will all hear eacother. pan the guitars hard left and right, bass in the mddle.

Lol... yeah, headphone mixes aren't a problem. I'm mainly concerned with getting the guitar signal up to the amp without too much degradation. Thoughts?

BTW, since you're in St. Louis... any interest in a couple of 16-space racks, 30" tall and 16" deep? I bought these, thinking I was going to be in the city for awhile, but I think I'm probably going to be moving soon, so I don't need them. Thoughts?

Thanks for the help, by the way :)

johnny5dm said:
Lol... yeah, headphone mixes aren't a problem. I'm mainly concerned with getting the guitar signal up to the amp without too much degradation. Thoughts?

BTW, since you're in St. Louis... any interest in a couple of 16-space racks, 30" tall and 16" deep? I bought these, thinking I was going to be in the city for awhile, but I think I'm probably going to be moving soon, so I don't need them. Thoughts?

Thanks for the help, by the way :)

Well, like I said, I've run 50ft cables many times and never had a problem.

Yeah... thing I wonder about is that's speaker-level, and this would be instrument-level. Hmm. Heck, I'll give it a shot!

Not a bad idea! Hmm. I'll really just have to try all of this - I don't know the details of how much his pedals put out in terms of signal, how much noise would be introduced, how the output signal degrades through the cable, how cable impedance makes a difference... right. I need to experiment. Thanks for the idea!

i dont think youll have that much of a problem, really. 50 ft really isnt that long. if its mostely heavey guitars then you won't have a problem at all.

If you have an extra cabinet, you could hook the amp to that cabinet in another room. Just disconnect the internal speakers.

I just use an overdrive pedal, like the boss SD-1 and two long instrument cables. The SD-1 has a level boost, and a drive knob. If you leave the drive knob down it doesn't color your sound at all, just boosts the level...

Back