Questions About Buying a New Synth

RTWmaniac

So I'm in the market for a new synth. My primary interest is as many cool sounds as possible for both a live setting and in the studio, with particular focus on good strings, organs, pianos, and weird, experimental lead sounds and atmospheric ambient stuff too. I'm not really interested in a sequencer, as my computer covers these capabilities. I would also prefer something with simple sound bank editing to making switching sounds as easy as possible. My current Roland XP-50 can be a nightmare at this (hopefully merely because it's old and the newer machines all have better standards for this?).

Anyway, I'm leaning towards a Korg to compliment the Roland. The X50 seems to be a leading candidate and I really like the price and the small size. However, the Triton Extreme and the Korg M50 are both catching my eye too. I wouldn't mind spending the extra cash, but is the upgrade from the X50 worth it if I'm not interested in a sequencer? Also, I really like the pitch bend and mod wheel on the X50, but the other two have that flimsy looking 4-way joystick. Is this a legitimate concern at all?

Thanks for any help!

Definitely go for the Triton or the M50!!!

They are both very solid keyboards vs. the X50 which is damn nearly a toy. I would LOVE to get my hands on a Triton Extreme, or M50. I currently have quite an arsenal though so I don't see it happening (Roland XP10, Juno G, Alesis Micron, Access Virus Ti, Korg MS 2000R, Novation Nova, Seq. Circuits Six Trak, Emu Vintage Keys Rack, Alesis QSR, and my old tempermental Memorymoog)...Id keep my eye on Craigs List for the Triton or M50.

So I'm in the market for a new synth. My primary interest is as many cool sounds as possible for both a live setting and in the studio, with particular focus on good strings, organs, pianos, and weird, experimental lead sounds and atmospheric ambient stuff too. I'm not really interested in a sequencer, as my computer covers these capabilities. I would also prefer something with simple sound bank editing to making switching sounds as easy as possible. My current Roland XP-50 can be a nightmare at this (hopefully merely because it's old and the newer machines all have better standards for this?).

Anyway, I'm leaning towards a Korg to compliment the Roland. The X50 seems to be a leading candidate and I really like the price and the small size. However, the Triton Extreme and the Korg M50 are both catching my eye too. I wouldn't mind spending the extra cash, but is the upgrade from the X50 worth it if I'm not interested in a sequencer? Also, I really like the pitch bend and mod wheel on the X50, but the other two have that flimsy looking 4-way joystick. Is this a legitimate concern at all?

Thanks for any help!

I know most people avoid Moogs if they don't have an arm and a leg to spend on synth gear, but if you want an epic capability on make really unique sounds, a MiniMoog Voyager is the way to go. There's also a rack mount edition of the Voyager, and with both of them corresponding with each other, you can really get some sounds no one's heard before. I have their rack mount edition, and one of the best things about the devices they make is that they just feel right. The interface is really a nice blend of everything being fluid, simple and effective.

...that's my two cents anyways.

Hi,

My question is related so I'll post it here. I just sold all my synths (mostly 80's & 90's digital + Moog LP) and thinking of getting one really good quality master keyboard with weighted keys and then gradually expand with modules - maybe even get the voyager rack model when enough money ;). Also, due to cronic mouse elbow ;), I'm thinking of going back into the "workstation"-method where you have the sequencer on the master keyboard and then synchronize that with all my other stuff. What would you guys recommend for the master keyboard? The Triton Extreme 88 looks quite promising :D but does it come with weighted keys :confused: ?

Best regards,
PK

Just a quick update, I went with the M50 and it is AWESOME!! I LOVE the leads on it. After I save some more cash, I might have to look into that Voyager, haha. Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Hi,

My question is related so I'll post it here. I just sold all my synths (mostly 80's & 90's digital + Moog LP) and thinking of getting one really good quality master keyboard with weighted keys and then gradually expand with modules - maybe even get the voyager rack model when enough money ;). Also, due to cronic mouse elbow ;), I'm thinking of going back into the "workstation"-method where you have the sequencer on the master keyboard and then synchronize that with all my other stuff. What would you guys recommend for the master keyboard? The Triton Extreme 88 looks quite promising :D but does it come with weighted keys :confused: ?

Best regards,
PK

You can't consider workstations without considering the Roland Fantom G8.

That thing's a monster.:cool:

Back