Putting a blanket over your amp/mic

That looks very innovative but I'm curious... Why not plug your guitar straight into a mixer? Or, if the amp sound is particularly special to you, why not run a line direct from your amp, to the recorder?

Dr. V

Yeah thats the easy way, but guitar DI I find doesnt sound so good, especially if its relatively clean. I cant run out of my amp to the mixer, its only has the one speaker output.

Plus Im just really set on recording an actual tube driven speaker amplifier. (my Vox ac15)

Recording outside sounds interesting, of course thats the exact opposite of what Im trying to do (make the amp LESS loud to other people). I'll definately have to try that sometime though.

Yeah thats the easy way, but guitar DI I find doesnt sound so good, especially if its relatively clean. I cant run out of my amp to the mixer, its only has the one speaker output.

Plus Im just really set on recording an actual tube driven speaker amplifier. (my Vox ac15)

Recording outside sounds interesting, of course thats the exact opposite of what Im trying to do (make the amp LESS loud to other people). I'll definately have to try that sometime though.

There is really nothing anyone can do if you do it during the day....give it a try.

:cool:

A lot of people use tiny tube amps in the studio so they can get a huge sound at a low volume. In the long run that might work better, unless you can only get your sound with a certain amp.

That looks very innovative but I'm curious... Why not plug your guitar straight into a mixer? Or, if the amp sound is particularly special to you, why not run a line direct from your amp, to the recorder?

Tube amp tone....and also the interaction you get from playing through a real tube amp & speaker.

DI into a mixer sucks ass...IMO....and most guys that do that end up reamping later on.
Yeah, there are amp/speaker "emulator" boxes that you can go through if you DI into a mixer...but it's not quite the same thing.
Sure...there may be situations where that is your only option, but in my case, I have some really nice amps and I'm not constrained by any "sensitive neighbors"...basically, I can dime my amps at 3:00 amp (been there, done that)...and no one will come banging on my door to STFU.
Yes, it is possible to run a line out off the head…but at that point, it’s just as easy to run a mic in front of the speaker, that way I can do the Full Monty. :D

AFA my studio space, it's a nice space, and well treated, so I don't have a lot of room issues, but like...sometimes the central AC is blowing through the vents (like now, during the summer heat), other times I need the computers on, and even though they are in an iso-box, there is just enough fan noise that my more sensitive mics will pick up ever so slightly...etc.
So...doing the tent over the amp/cab solves a few things in one shot...but I don't always do that, it depends on the situation.

I had a friend who put his amp outside and recorded it there.
Give that a try.

I actually did that once, on my parents' back porch, with the amp facing off the porch towards the mountains in the distance. It wasn't half bad - certainly a very uncolored sound, and at the volume I was playing at, the wind rustling the leaves and the occasional chirping bird was an absolute non-issue. :D

Still, that works way better than it does in the scenic Northern Berkshires, well away from anyone else, than it does in downtown Somerville, Mass. :D

Back