Punch in to record footswitches

trancedental

I've tried a couple of momentary type footswitches on both my recorders Fostex E-16 & Tascam TSR-8 & had the same problem on both. I have to press twice to engage record & to also disengage record functions. It's the same as using an old guitar amp footswitch I have.

I'm assuming that both machines can't be wrong so was wondering about the footswitches & what you guys on here use for punch in foot operation on either Fostex or Tascam machines that work properly without the hassle of pressing twice to go into record mode?

The ones I have are both momentary switches one has a stereo jack plug & the other a mono plug. Should I be using a latch type switch instead?

momentary should have worked with the E16. You have to make sure the machine is off before plugging it in. And the plug on the E16 should be a tip sleeve and not a tip ring sleeve. Or what you called mono

The TSR-8 manual says to use a Tascam RC-30P, and this machine now seems to work with the stereo footswitch I have if I switch the power on with the pedal connected.

I can't find a picture of the RC-30P with the jack plug detail showing so don't know exactly what the plug is supposed to be?

No luck with the Fostex E-16 with either of these pedals apart from pressing twice! E-16 /G-16 manuals suggest Fostex 8051? Tried both the play / locate & record functions.

Cheers Guys!

I got one from EBay which was supposed to work with Tascam equipment like the TASCAM CD GT1 / BT1 Guitar Trainer uses the same Tascam RC-30P footswitch according to the GT1manual. The same old usual footswitch model as most Tascam gear including their multitracks.

Anyway the footswitch supplied won't work with none of the gear I have, including Tascam gear, so maybe it's faulty so I've Emailed the seller.

the footswitch supplied won't work with none of the gear I have, including Tascam gear, so maybe it's faulty....
Test it. It's a simple "push button" OFF/ON switch (that's what it should be). You press - you get contact between tip and sleeve, you release it - no contact. You can test it with a multimeter or a battery/flashlight lamp or anything that can indicate connection/no-connection (LOW voltage, of course !).
If the pedal has "reverse" action, some of them can be modified. It has to be easy fix if something wrong there too.

It works I've tested with a multimeter between ring & sleeve, but it still needs 2 clicks to turn on & 2 to turn off when in use with my recorders!

Both my TSR-8 & E-16 don't like this new pedal!!!!!!!!!! 2 pushes to turn record & / or play / locate..........................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Back to the seller it goes!!!!!

My very old (stereo) momentary pedal works on the TSR-8 but not the E-16 apart from with a double click!!!!

This is weird!!!!!!!

This is weird!!!!!!!
yes it is.
So you are sure, that the pedal's action is "correct", meaning it is: press-contact is "ON" / release contact is "OFF"?

If so, then I have no clue what is wrong there. It should work with simple momentary non-latching N.O. type switch.
here's DIY-it :)
All you need is a some sort of box,
then one of these:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062496&cp=&sr=1&origkw=push+button&kw=push+button&parentPage=search
pretty much any cable will do and 1/4" mono phono TR plug
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103992&cp=&sr=1&origkw=phone+plug&kw=phone+plug&parentPage=search
if you have any spare mono 1/4" plug TR cable, just cut off on one side, connect to the push button's terminals (it does not matter which is sleeve which is tip. Mount the button into any toy or soap box or what ever you may find and there you have it.
Just dont step too hard on it, - top it easy :)

Attachments

• soap_punch.jpg
    soap_punch.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 342
Just picked up the RC-408 remote control for the TSR-8 on EBay, a better option than messing around with footswitches I reckon?

Has anyone got one of these just wondering how long the lead is?

About 15-ft (4.6 m).

The RC-408 is nice to have... congrats!

I'm puzzled by the problems with the footswitch though. Any normally open momentary footswitch with a standard 1/4" (tip-sleeve) plug should work. I’m using an old Radio Shack footswitch I’ve had for about 25 years.

:)

I'm puzzled by the problems with the footswitch though.
me too
. Any normally open momentary footswitch with a standard 1/4" (tip-sleeve) plug should work.
Yeah.
And a just 1/4" mono plug with two wires should "work" as well :D
Connect-Disconnect wires and you punch in or out.

here's the device:

Attachments

• device.jpg
    device.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 47
Back