problem recording acoustic guitar

thegoof

Hey all - a few weeks back I recorded some acoustic guitar with my MXL V67 microphone in Logic, and I loved the clear and crisp sound of it.

Now I'm finishing up the song, but for whatever reason I can't replicate the sound - it sounds more "muddy". I've tried moving the mic around a bit to recreate that initial sound, but am having trouble.

Could there be something wrong with the microphone?

It's hard to diagnose this kind of thing remotely, so we might have to suggest some obvious things first. I'd make sure you're not using the back side of the mike.

Strings getting old, different pick, playing differently, more humidity in the air.... lots of things can change an acoustic guitar's sound. I've noticed this when retracking parts.

I'm with Boulder on this one... make sure you're using the front of the mic. I've seen that happen before. Some people don't pay much attention to things like this.

maybe you can psot a 'before' and 'after' so we can get an idea of the difference. Only need a short sampe, not a whole song.

I have the green and gold MXL V67. The MXL V67 logo printed on the body should be facing you. And yup....it's nice bright mic and works well on some things.

2 cents worth of......what....it's backwards??? Oh geeez....did it again!1

Mick

In a way - your mistake probably showed you want your room sounds like, as the mic recorded the sound of the room - and that is usually the thing that people have trouble with. what you recorded is exactly what you don't want to.

In a way - your mistake probably showed you want your room sounds like, as the mic recorded the sound of the room - and that is usually the thing that people have trouble with. what you recorded is exactly what you don't want to.
So if you had two identical mikes and placed them back to back, facing one toward the instrument/voice and one toward the room, could you then invert the room mike track and get noise-cancelling?

So if you had two identical mikes and placed them back to back, facing one toward the instrument/voice and one toward the room, could you then invert the room mike track and get noise-cancelling?
A cardioid mic is already doing that. But the cardioid pattern of off-axis rejection falls off as you move away from 180°, so you get room sound from the sides. Also, the rejection pattern breaks down at lower frequencies where the mic becomes omnidirectional. You can get a tighter pickup pattern by getting a super-cardioid or hyper-cardioid mic, but those have tradeoffs.

A cardioid mic is already doing that. But the cardioid pattern of off-axis rejection falls off as you move away from 180°, so you get room sound from the sides. Also, the rejection pattern breaks down at lower frequencies where the mic becomes omnidirectional. You can get a tighter pickup pattern by getting a super-cardioid or hyper-cardioid mic, but those have tradeoffs.
All new information for me. Thank you!

snds like the mixer was set up for vst reverb etc when the original was plain. tbh, the original is grt. i think we like to over think

Er, he had the mic the wrong way around, something we’ve all done. I did it once on a grand piano with two unfamiliar mics and recorded the sound from the lid reflection. It actually was a better blend than the ‘right’ way. Far less of the two humps in the response you get with two mics close in. I’ve done it loads of times now.

Back