Problem blue yeti. I refund for a better XLR microphone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 200347
  • Start date
ARCAXIS....You mentioned that EV CO9 mic has that extra gain built in and no need for a Cloudlifter$$$ booster. SM58 -54 db, C09 at -49db, Sm7b -60db...(SM7b Cloudlifter adds 25db but costs $150 plus another cable $10). The C09 is probably a good mic for this low gain preamp. (see recording hacks overlay pic below...C09-purple vs 58 and 7b-orange)

Actually did buy a C09 mic a few years back on one of MF Stupid Deals. Couldn't pass on it for $32 shipped :) Decent sounding mic that gets used occasionally.

Those sound shield things suck IMO. $60 for a rockwool panel is way better. Anyway not time to confuse the OP with more stuff. He only needs to get the basics fired up and start recording.

First step is for him to get the interface, cable and mic and start learning what he needs.

I foresee this thread ending soon and a bunch of new threads after. :)

"- I keep in mind that you need a 6.35 cable and not a 3.5 for the DBX. << I apologize for my... : the sssnake SPP2015 – Thomann France"

Thank you for the link dude !

---------- Update ----------

A cloud lifter wouldn't help with ambient noise (tv, air conditioning, computer fans etc) at all, but it would help if your overall signal was very quiet, forcing you to turn the interface gain up to maximum.
On cheaper interfaces turning the gain up to maximum often means you'll hear some hiss.

Cloudlifter effectively makes the microphone louder, so the gain can be lower, so you don't hear that hiss.

With the 58, you shouldn't need this : SM58 - Cable - Interface should be fine.

It will be important to keep the microphone close to your mouth, though.
I'd recommend no more than 4-6" away, if possible.

All right, thank you very much for that clarification!
I still think that one day I'll opt for a pre-amp for the SM58 (anyway, it will always be useful if I change microphones (which I don't think)
I could have a better sound and especially change the settings at my convenience.
But certainly not a cloudlifter, I would opt for a pre-amp with settings.

I had all three and ran my own tests and couldn't hear much of any difference between the Shure mics. While I think the SM7b is worth the extra $$ in design, with some mic skill and the same distance the 58/57 seem to be 90=% the same sound as the $400 model.

$100 is impressive at $400 the expectations are really high, imo.

I regret selling my SM7b in some ways, but now its hard to buy it again at $400 when I know the sound of the 58/57 is so close as the videos confirm my own tests. I always have a bunch of 57/8's around here etc. (Im surprised WARM and BEHRINGER aren't making copy-clones of the SM7b for $200? )

The Bulky design of the SM7b can be a plus or negative, the SM58/57 can slide into areas easily, and take a standard mic stand etc..

ARCAXIS....You mentioned that EV CO9 mic has that extra gain built in and no need for a Cloudlifter$$$ booster. SM58 -54 db, C09 at -49db, Sm7b -60db...(SM7b Cloudlifter adds 25db but costs $150 plus another cable $10). The C09 is probably a good mic for this low gain preamp. (see recording hacks overlay pic below...C09-purple vs 58 and 7b-orange)

great videos on this thread. I really liked the off axis examples and keyboard clicking on the first one, again I couldn't hear a difference much between the three either. Maybe the largest difference is the visual? I was getting ready to re-buy a SM7b, but will wait now.

good luck Twiky, 2i2 + SM58....slap on some plugins get back to recording.. :listeningmusic:

Thanks to you too for your explanations! It made me want to buy it even more (which is already done) a week of delivery, it's going to be hard to wait for hehe!
I'm not going to do it right now, and I know that SM58 doesn't need an extra pre-amp and that the audio interface (2i2) is more than enough in DB, but in the future I still think I'll take a pre-amp that I can use. You who had these microphones, what do you recommend as a pre-amp for the SM58, SM7B for example and with adjustment? Because I'm really not a fan of a cloudlifter! Something that is not extremely expensive either! DBX, bluetube V2.... ? :)

Thank you again, you convinced me all, not to waste my money! It's just that I like to have the best as I said, and seeing all those videos and forums that said the SM7B was better made me want to take it even more. So now I've bought the SM58, just waiting (one week). :thumbs up:

What makes me most happy in the story is not so much that I finally bought my microphone, but I really learned a little bit about this field which for me was unknown and now it's already clearer thanks to you. For the moment, In mind I have no more questions what is a feat. :eatpopcorn:

I don't think you can lose, to be honest.
A 58 is a solid reputable microphone, never going to go out of fashion, and never going to stop being useful.

If, in the long run, it turns out not to be your favourite microphone or you choose to move to something different, I still think you'll have benefitted from keeping it simple and
learning how to get a good sound with out an array of bells and whistles.

You'll also have a spare mic for when you team up with someone else, or do interviews. ;) Onwards and upwards!

Twiky.... if you find something doesn't sound right when you get set up and working, come back here and ask questions and maybe post a short clip of the problem. It's an easy trap to fall into that buying supposedly better, more expensive gear is the fix that will make everything sound better.

+1 to that.
I have cases of microphones and numerous preamps, but if I can't do a decent sounding stream with a 58 and my firestudio mobile the problem is with me/the setup/the environment, not the gear. ;)

Those sound shield things suck IMO. $60 for a rockwool panel is way better. Anyway not time to confuse the OP with more stuff. He only needs to get the basics fired up and start recording.

First step is for him to get the interface, cable and mic and start learning what he needs.

I foresee this thread ending soon and a bunch of new threads after. :)

I agree Rockwool is better but, his real problem was outside noise. Put a shield behind him, and a ball on the mic, that’ll reduce outside noise enough to get usable recordings. Podcasters are doing it everyday. He doesn’t even have to get rid of the blue yeti. His biggest problem is getting a good recording without outside noises. They’re are multiple smaller items that address this issue. He can still buy s dynamic mic if he wants, it’s not gonna fix his noise issue problem. Something kind of like this. https://youtu.be/VzpYrCWJ9Pg

1- Yes, that's it, my problem is the ambient sound! For the moment, I have the TV working next to me (behind me on the left) and soon, we won't hear it anymore. But indeed, it is the ambient sound! So if I have to buy something that protects against this cheap, then let's see! I still have the foam from the micro blue yeti. However, we agree that this microphone, we can talk at the same distance as an SM7B? I don't want it to be glued to my mouth unlike the SM7B which doesn't need to be glued to get a good sound quality!

2- I've done a lot more research and I've seen this "130 dB": https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039PPW6...0e-20&linkId=dcbd6a0f138e21b8ac4adb79a293a845

Why bother with a 2i2 + another lol amplifier (especially for those who own SM7Bs for example) when doing the math, it's cheaper. EDIT : I just realized he doesn't have a sound card, I think. lol.

3- And if not, I saw:
2i2 max 50DB
SM58 -54 DB
SM7B -59 DB

So for the SM58, there would be a little bit less gain to get a superior sound from what I understand? After that, there's not much difference... After, is it embarrassing? I don't think so, since you advised me not to take amp for that.

Then, for the SM7B, there is a big difference. And I understand why you need an extra amp.

But I don't really have the calculation of whether it's a big difference or not. You might think that 50 / 54 is a big difference but have to believe not!

Last edited by a moderator:
1- Yes, that's it, my problem is the ambient sound! For the moment, I have the TV working next to me (behind me on the left) and soon, we won't hear it anymore. But indeed, it is the ambient sound! So if I have to buy something that protects against this cheap, then let's see! I still have the foam from the micro blue yeti. However, we agree that this microphone, we can talk at the same distance as an SM7B? I don't want it to be glued to my mouth unlike the SM7B which doesn't need to be glued to get a good sound quality!

2- I've done a lot more research and I've seen this "130 dB": https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039PPW6...0e-20&linkId=dcbd6a0f138e21b8ac4adb79a293a845

Why bother with a 2i2 + another lol amplifier (especially for those who own SM7Bs for example) when doing the math, it's cheaper. EDIT : I just realized he doesn't have a sound card, I think. lol.

3- And if not, I saw:
2i2 max 50DB
SM58 -54 DB
SM7B -59 DB

So for the SM58, there would be a little bit less gain to get a superior sound from what I understand? After that, there's not much difference... After, is it embarrassing? I don't think so, since you advised me not to take amp for that.

Then, for the SM7B, there is a big difference. And I understand why you need an extra amp.

But I don't really have the calculation of whether it's a big difference or not. You might think that 50 / 54 is a big difference but have to believe not!

YouTube

The guy in the video uses moving blankets and a mic ball.

Alcatron PF8 mic ball
And moving blankets behind him

YouTube

The guy in the video uses moving blankets and a mic ball.

I was just writing on my translator to answer you :p
the Alctron PF8 Filter looks good (this guy too by the way, I learned a lot from him too). I don't have the difference in itself in the video
He spoke very close with the filter, but before that he didn't. Soo i dont know..

With the hand, it's impressive

It’s not a perfect set up but it should be enough to get some good recordings. You can double up the moving blankets and even make a little room within a room. Then take it down when you’re done.

You need to understand that how much background noise is picked up is not down to the microphone.
It's down to the noise,
and where the microphone is,
and where you are,
and how loud the noise is,
and how loud you are,
and where the microphone is pointing,
and what's between the microphone and the noise.

You can't buy a magic microphone and put it three feet away and suddenly not pick up the TV.
In my analog, which I relinked, I likened the microphone to an ear.

Seriously...Think of it that way.

Imagine your friend is sitting 2 feet away and he can't hear you well because a TV is loud somewhere else.
Do you get a better friend?

No. You move closer, or you speak louder, or you turn the TV down, or your friend cups his ear.

Those same things are true with microphones so, yes, you will need/want to have this sm58 within a few inches of your mouth. 4-6" at most, I'd have thought.
This is exemplified in some of the videos which have been posted.

The same would have been true for the yeti. The same would be true for the sm7b.

The microphones don't know the difference between your voice and the TV. They are just an ear.

Again, HR members...I'm simplifying. Please let's not have 10 pages on super-cardioid! ;)

I am actually done with this thread. Given my advice and have nothing more to offer until the OP gets the basic shit down.

Interface first. Hell I don't think any of us asked what computer the OP has....This could get really messy...

I have one - maybe two things to say to you Twiky; Get a fucking interface and hug your wife. :)

I know the feeling - I suggested in post #4 to get an SM58. And here we are on page 10! In the words of Charlie Brown, good grief.

A twist on the famous words of the 'Terminator'......

Attachments

• be back copy.jpg
    be back copy.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 5
Okay, I'll stop with my questions... I just like to have as much information as possible to learn more and understand before buying. I'll add one last thing:

If one day someone wants to know information about one of these microphones or even an amplifier and you come across this thread, I hope I have helped you with my questions and I hope you will find answers with the people who answered me.

thyzrc.jpg

Okay, I'll stop with my questions...

I guess we're just having a little fun, Twiky.
Research is good and we criticise people for jumping in too quickly without asking questions, so you did the right thing.
There's also a time when you just have to bite the bullet, buy something, and starting learning from experience.

Hope it goes well for you, and you know where we are. ;)

Back