Problem blue yeti. I refund for a better XLR microphone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 200347
  • Start date
Well since yesterday, I keep seeing that the SM7B is the best compared to the SM58. Certainly, there is a price difference that is not to be taken lightly, but as I mentioned, I like to think big and it will save me the trouble of buying another microphone later. Because I think a guy of this price and quality lasts for years and years.

Thank you for these clarifications! I think "F'rite USB-Out to USB-In to Computer" it is provided with the foscurite.
As for the gain, the amp will help me to go to the desired gain for the 60db microphone minimum I think? So I'm going to have to put the gain at maximum on the foscurite and adjust the dbx gain until I get a set of 60DB is that correct?

Thank you for these clarifications! I think "F'rite USB-Out to USB-In to Computer" it is provided with the foscurite. << Yes, USB 2.0 cable provided.

As for the gain, the amp will help me to go to the desired gain for the 60db microphone minimum I think? So I'm going to have to put the gain at maximum on the foscurite and adjust the dbx gain until I get a set of 60DB is that correct?
<< You will need to experiment, after you get some equipment and learn how to use it. Google: "Gain Staging" and learn, while you wait for your gear to arrive.
Dale

Thank you very much again! So I'll take it, but I'll give myself another hour to think about it. Without wasting your time, could you please direct me to my 3 questions? (it's always good to know)

1)
The SM58, there is no need for a pre-amp because just with foscurite, it has the desired gain, but is it by adding a pre-amp (dbx for example) the sound of the microphone will be much better even if it exceeds the "allowed" gain?

2) Is this TRS cable correct? the sssnake 3,5 mm TRS Cable 5m – Thomann France because I think it doesn't come with the DBX.

3) On the shure SM7B Microphone site, it offers several options:
"What preamps work with the SM7B?
Here are some recommendations:
Grace M101
HR-MP2A from Radio Design Labs
Cloudlifter Mic Activator
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6"

So if I have one of these things, for example the 8i6 foscurite which has 60DB, why take a 2i2 + DBX (except to have more options on the DBX)?
Which in addition to that, the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, therefore has an integrated sound card + the desired gain of the SM7B (60DB)

I'll leave you alone afterwards! I would have had all my answers on the forum! Frankly, thank you all for the help! I appreciate :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So DBX wouldn't be a good solution?

Solution to what?
Not meaning to sound rude but to formulate a solution you have to understand the problem.

I understood your problem to be unwanted noise from a television,
so turn it off or move the microphone closer and buy this.

1) The SM58, there is no need for a pre-amp because just with foscurite, it has the desired gain, but is it by adding a pre-amp (dbx for example) the sound of the microphone will be much better even if it exceeds the "allowed" gain? << this has been answered in many replies already, like these five posts: https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...d-better-xlr-microphone-400421/2/#post4502902
https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...d-better-xlr-microphone-400421/2/#post4502920
https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...d-better-xlr-microphone-400421/3/#post4502931
https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...d-better-xlr-microphone-400421/4/#post4502950
https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...d-better-xlr-microphone-400421/5/#post4502970

2) Is this TRS cable correct? the sssnake 3,5 mm TRS Cable 5m – Thomann France because I think it doesn't come with the DBX. << 6.35mm [I think] We call it 1/4" in Texas
3) On the shure SM7B Microphone site, it offers several options:
"What preamps work with the SM7B?
Here are some recommendations:
Grace M101
HR-MP2A from Radio Design Labs
Cloudlifter Mic Activator
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6
So if I have one of these things, for example the 8i6 foscurite which has 60DB, why take a 2i2 + DBX (except to have more options on the DBX)?
Which in addition to that, the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, therefore has an integrated sound card + the desired gain of the SM7B (60DB) << 60dB is the "desired gain"- but experience says it is minimum. This has been shared in previous replies, as well.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...d-better-xlr-microphone-400421/2/#post4502902
https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...d-better-xlr-microphone-400421/4/#post4502963
https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...d-better-xlr-microphone-400421/5/#post4502970
Dale

Last edited:
Well since yesterday, I keep seeing that the SM7B is the best compared to the SM58. Certainly, there is a price difference that is not to be taken lightly, but as I mentioned, I like to think big and it will save me the trouble of buying another microphone later. Because I think a guy of this price and quality lasts for years and years.

I understand you don't want to jump into something that you'll have to upgrade later and you're doing the right thing, researching in advance,
but at the same time there's a limit. ;)

Personally I'd say if you can't hear the difference and your target is streaming, I'd keep it as simple and cheap as possible.

I think the yeti would have been fine, with a foam ball on it, but since background noise is an issue and you want to switch mics any way,
I'd either go with (in order of preference)

1: A quality USB headset.
or
2: Sm58>Interface of choice (say, focusrite 2i2)
or
3: Ev Re320>Interface of choice
or
4: SM7B>CloudLifter>Interface of choice.

USB headset is discreet, very simple, and the best solution you're likely to get for minimising background noise.

SM58 is a solid reputable microphone which holds its value well and is never redundant.
I don't think anyone here would refuse a free/another 58.

Re320 is a bit more 'heavyweight'. Geared towards spoken word/radio. Its output is fairly hot, for a dynamic, so should be fine straight into an interface.

SM7b, as discussed, has a very low output and needs either a:An interface/preamp with high gain, or a cloudlifter to help it.
So that's either Mic>CloudLifter>Cheap Interface, or Mic>Expensive Interface.
For me, it's more money than needs to be spent, but that's your call. ;)

As far as extra gear...Additional preamps, compressors, etc...I'd definitely avoid complicated matters.
More options isn't always necessarily good.

If you find yourself needing eq or noise gates, that can almost always be done in the computer.
Where background noise is an issue, compression (alone) is not your friend so I'd avoid that completely.

I understand you don't want to jump into something that you'll have to upgrade later and you're doing the right thing, researching in advance, but at the same time there's a limit. ;) .

Agreed. From reading your questions, you have been doing your homework. But there is a lot to be said for, starting small/frugal, learning, and growing from experience. You have received a wealth of experienced advisement, from a group of experts, who are trying to help you save money, get decent entry gear, and start streaming. I would say- take their advice. They have not steered you wrong.
Dale

Last edited:
I know......this will come off as a bit rude........but....for the mic..........this guy just wants us to tell him to buy the SMB7 so he can feel ok about what he’s going to do anyway. You have all given him great advice from real experience but sometimes people just want confirmation......and that’s cool.

I'll say it again....... 'Keep it simple'. Get some experience with basic gear first. This will give you a better idea if you need to move on to better equipment. You did say you couldn't hear a difference between an SM58 and SM7b, so why spend extra money at this point when a less expensive mic will likely serve you well. More money spent does not necessarily equal better sound.

I have the DBX286s. Not my favorite channel strip and can get noisy if the gain is pushed.

You convinced me... I will leave on the SM58 hoping that the 2i2 interface is sufficient.... I think it's always better with a pre-amp but if it doesn't need and the 2i2 is enough then ok.

The PSA1 rod (microphone arm) is compatible with the SM58?

Why does a cloudlifter? A 2i2 and a dbx look better to me or other (bluetube V2 for example)? A cloudlifter is somehow "automatic" I think? But the DBX allows you to switch as you please and for 50€ more! That's what he said in his video, I think.

I watched more than 30 videos, comparisons, reviews, posted on the forum. I'm not taking this lightly. But indeed, I have to listen to you and if the sound is the same as the SM7B (without the amp) I think? So let's get on with it...
Not at all, on the contrary, I learned a lot from you! Before I didn't even know that the 2i2 was a sound card lol! So thanks :)

You convinced me... I will leave on the SM58 hoping that the 2i2 interface is sufficient.... I think it's always better with a pre-amp but if it doesn't need and the 2i2 is enough then ok.

The PSA1 rod (microphone arm) is compatible with the SM58? <<< Yes- just thread on the mic clip.

Why does a cloudlifter? A 2i2 and a dbx look better to me or other (bluetube V2 for example)? <<< Only you can answer this question, based on the research that you have done. A cloudlifter is somehow "automatic" I think? But the DBX allows you to switch as you please and for 50€ more! That's what he said in his video, I think.

Dale

Yes, but I don't understand English and I use a translator, so the videos with the subtitles, it's not easy to understand everything and thanks

"1) The SM58, there is no need for a pre-amp because just with foscurite, it has the desired gain, but is it by adding a pre-amp (dbx for example) the sound of the microphone will be much better even if it exceeds the "allowed" gain? << this has been answered in many..."

Where please ? I think I'm going to reread all the messages again.

The SM58's ambient sounds are "the same" as the SM7B? I don't want us to hear the ambient noises! And I guess he doesn't need a pop filter or anything.

Twiky,
You are most welcome. In my opinion, you have done a good job communicating your thoughts to me. I can only imagine the difficulty you have experienced. I found myself editing my responses, to remove my colloquialisms, knowing that they may not translate well.
Dale

"1) The SM58, there is no need for a pre-amp because just with foscurite, it has the desired gain, but is it by adding a pre-amp (dbx for example) the sound of the microphone will be much better even if it exceeds the "allowed" gain? << this has been answered in many..."

Where please ? I think I'm going to reread all the messages again.

Go back to that quoted post and expand it. https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...d-better-xlr-microphone-400421/7/#post4503047
The links are embedded in the quoted portion.
Dale

Last edited:
And I guess he doesn't need a pop filter or anything.

That's correct. The sm58 is designed for close vocal use.
Some people use an additional filter to be extra careful but unless you're literally spitting at the thing it will be fine.

The SM58's ambient sounds are "the same" as the SM7B?

Without complicating matters all these microphones will 'hear' the same thing.
Decreasing background noise is not a question of "which microphone?". It's a question of how you use it.

If you go over Post #18 I've described a number of ways to reduce background noise or, more accurately, make your voice louder relative to the background noise.
One microphone won't pick up background sounds less than another.
A very sensitive microphone will pick up the noise better and it will pick you up better. Result = same problem.

@Hr members. I know..I know! ^. I'm simplifying on purpose.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the gesture and your patience!

"You can buy a SM58 for $100 and 60dB of input/interface/preamp gain is enough for that mic."

- Yes ok I just saw, so I'm going to follow the advice and not take a pre-amp for the SM58 for now and if I see that I have ambient noises or that my microphone is not loud enough or anything else, I wouldn't take a cloudlifter that has no adjustment to make but rather a SBX for example to be able to change at my convenience !

- And I suppose that the TRS cable is only for the DBX, other models can exist depending on the pre-amp?

- I keep in mind that you need a 6.35 cable and not a 3.5 for the DBX.
From what I see too, there is no need for a filter or foam for the SM58 which is good!

- Yes ok I just saw, so I'm going to follow the advice and not take a pre-amp for the SM58 for now and if I see that I have ambient noises or that my microphone is not loud enough or anything else, I wouldn't take a cloudlifter that has no adjustment to make but rather a SBX for example to be able to change at my convenience !

A cloud lifter wouldn't help with ambient noise (tv, air conditioning, computer fans etc) at all, but it would help if your overall signal was very quiet, forcing you to turn the interface gain up to maximum.
On cheaper interfaces turning the gain up to maximum often means you'll hear some hiss.

Cloudlifter effectively makes the microphone louder, so the gain can be lower, so you don't hear that hiss.

With the 58, you shouldn't need this : SM58 - Cable - Interface should be fine.

It will be important to keep the microphone close to your mouth, though.
I'd recommend no more than 4-6" away, if possible.

I'll say it again....... 'Keep it simple'. Get some experience with basic gear first. This will give you a better idea if you need to move on to better equipment. You did say you couldn't hear a difference between an SM58 and SM7b, so why spend extra money at this point when a less expensive mic will likely serve you well. More money spent does not necessarily equal better sound. .

I had all three and ran my own tests and couldn't hear much of any difference between the Shure mics. While I think the SM7b is worth the extra $$ in design, with some mic skill and the same distance the 58/57 seem to be 90=% the same sound as the $400 model.

$100 is impressive at $400 the expectations are really high, imo.

I regret selling my SM7b in some ways, but now its hard to buy it again at $400 when I know the sound of the 58/57 is so close as the videos confirm my own tests. I always have a bunch of 57/8's around here etc. (Im surprised WARM and BEHRINGER aren't making copy-clones of the SM7b for $200? )

The Bulky design of the SM7b can be a plus or negative, the SM58/57 can slide into areas easily, and take a standard mic stand etc..

ARCAXIS....You mentioned that EV CO9 mic has that extra gain built in and no need for a Cloudlifter$$$ booster. SM58 -54 db, C09 at -49db, Sm7b -60db...(SM7b Cloudlifter adds 25db but costs $150 plus another cable $10). The C09 is probably a good mic for this low gain preamp. (see recording hacks overlay pic below...C09-purple vs 58 and 7b-orange)

great videos on this thread. I really liked the off axis examples and keyboard clicking on the first one, again I couldn't hear a difference much between the three either. Maybe the largest difference is the visual? I was getting ready to re-buy a SM7b, but will wait now.

good luck Twiky, 2i2 + SM58....slap on some plugins get back to recording.. :listeningmusic:

Attachments

• SM7b EV.png
    SM7b EV.png
    77.8 KB · Views: 7
Back