Price of a Dream Monitor?

Absolute Maximum per pair that I could sacrifice for.

• $800 per pair

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • $1200

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • $1600

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • $2000

• $2400

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • $2800

• $3200

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

barefoot

barefootsound.com
Let's say, hypothetically, that you came across a nearfield monitor that fulfilled all of your nearfield monitor fantasies. It was sharp, sexy, and promised to service you like no other nearfield had before. What would be the maximum price per pair at which this monitor would exit your dream world and enter the reality of what you could squeeze into your budget?

My ADAMs ran me $4500/pr (Cdn).... that is pretty much the top of what I'd like to pay...... OTOH, I don't envision ever needing to replace the ADAMs either, so my opinion may not be too beneficial!

I think I got my Genelecs for around $4000. There are some Meyers that I have my eyes on but they are way more.

It's crazy how much some of this shit costs, eh?

I've got the BX8s at home and they were about $800 for the pair (CDN). At work, we've got a pair Wilson Audio MAXX series, which I would assume cost a fortune. They sound like gold though.

I'm the proud owner of a pair of older Alesis Monitor-Ones.

If I actually did spend $1600 on new monitors I wouldn't benefit anything. They would only clarify the fact the rest of my audio setup is just as basic as the Monitor-Ones were. It would be like bolting a header on a Dodge Neon to improve horsepower. Many consider my studio setup garbage but at least I matched it together properly. Not a single piece sucks any worse than the other. ;)

spend as much as possible

I would go and get a second mortgage on my house, rob a bank, rob a high end studio. The more you pay the better it will be.
Mackie HR824s should be the bare minimum. They sound good at 700 each.
BX8s are good for the low price
but you need to get into the 2k each range to get that commercial quality mix/master

I've met guys that actually stepped down in pricerange to Fostex PM-1's.
More expensive ain't allways better is it?
Anyone know these monitors? Good?

Back