Pretty girl with a pretty voice -tracks 6 & 7

PDXROX

So I'm finished mixing these two new tracks by Annalisa. I hope you like them, and if you don't, rip them to shreds!

Listen to tracks 6 & 7

06 - When the Leaves Fall - just wondering about vox qualities.

07 - Wait A Minute - wondering about levels of woodwinds and shaker, vox qualities

PLEASE let me know which song you're talking about, as they're VERY different production styles.

Last edited:
I hear a lack of highs in the entire mix.
Need a bit more space for the instruments to shine.
Maybe a bit over "effected"?

Now for the good stuff.
Very unique.
I like the mood.

Wait A Minute.. I just got to track #7.... I like it.. Sounds better!
She has a great voice, and knows how to use it.

Great recording on #7 ... Glad I stuck around..

Track 7 - Man, she sounds a lot like Edie Brickell at times.

I'm not digging the acoustic sound much...it's played well; just kinda' boxy. And I know it's not a really dense mix, but I'd pop her vocal up about 1.5db anyway...it's close, but just a touch for when people hit the "bass boost." It sometimes baffles me how loud commercial mixes run the vocal. I'm not a big fan of it, but maybe just a touch louder.

That's a very cool song.

When the leaves fall...

I think I prefered the version on the cd that's available from cd baby

okay it's a bit lo-fi but the style suits the song better...

she has a lovely voice and the instrumentation on your version doesn't allow it to shine... on the cdbaby version Annalisa's voice is the main focus of the song... and that's the way things should be for this type of song...

I agree with Chris Harris about the sound of the acoustic... it just doesn't sound natural...

and I'd also agree that boosting the vocal is a good idea...

As for the other song... Wait a Minute:

It's a belter... i really liked it...

OK.
When The Leaves Fall...Awesome voice. Sounds well mixed with the instruments.
Verdict..I like it.

Wait A Minute...I like the vocals, but they don't seem as upfront as in Leaves. Guitar is a bit muted, or something. Not as bright and punchy as Leaves. Great singer though. I agree, she does sound a bit like Edie Brickell. I'd say the mix just needs a bit more punch to it. Sounds kinda quiet, but good.

I like this also. Great tunes.
Ed

Its lacking image and sparkle IMO.

Meaning, the high end is a little lost and the stereo feel is a little monoish.

The general balance of the intrument and voice were OK though.

intro reminded me of cream's "as you said", agree that guitar is not as sparkly/bright as it could be, a little bit dull, but it's fine because a good song is a good song and the performance is more important than the recording, imho

Re: Wait a minute

07 - Wait A Minute -

Love the song. More of this.

06 - When the leaves.
To much reverb for me. But a nice tune.
---------------------------------------

:)

6 - is that a lot of compression on the acoustic, or just lot's of gain? Need a louder vocal, but overall very nice.

when the leaves fall - I like it alot, the effects give a sort of music box, carnival effect.........or something like that, very cool mood.....lovely voice, very good job overall.

Voice quality not breathtaking but ok. Songwriting quality is down the main road for me. Predictably but totally ok. Arrangements are too dulled, maybe too much EQ on guitar(s)? The pad like thing in the background bleeds out the whole song picture for me. Her voice needs to come more forward in both mixes.
Keep up the good work.

Track 6 - I'm not crazy about all the reverb on the background. It makes the vocals sound dull. She has a soft touch with her voice & I would like to hear her voice cut through a bit more.

Track 7 - I like this one much better. It seems clearer to me. Vocals could be a little louder here too, they seem distant.

Better than my mixes though!

Don't like the pad on Leaves. Drowns her out. Strong overtones of Eva Cassidy in her voice for me - that's nice. Sorry, I hate that pad.

Wait is definitely better, but agree with the other posts that her voice needs to come forward a bit.

You should call track 6 get a gun and shoot yourself, cause thats what you want to do after you hear it................................................................ I like it!

Listened to When the Leaves Fall. Damn, Annalisa has a beautiful voice. Some of her long tones are a little flat, but doesn't hurt the song because it's so expressive. Really, if she could nail the pitch on ALL the held high notes, and she just had a sparse, rhythmically tight instrumental backing, it'd be top notch. But what do I know, I'm just a guitar picker.

Tim

Back