Premium power cables worth it?

The following is assuming you have no serious ground loop or hum issues -

If the quality of you power cables is the biggest factor in keeping your recordings from being STELLER, then I bow down before you. You are indeed OMNIPOTENT! :D

Yoda117 said:
are you recording Sting?

If not, then the answer as to whether or not you need this type of cable for your rig is probably clear.
If you are recording Sting, you should take all of your power cables and burn them. Then throw Sting on the fire for good measure.

Farview said:
If you are recording Sting, you should take all of your power cables and burn them. Then throw Sting on the fire for good measure.

Can't do that... currently roasting the Dixie Chicks in the fire.

having been a qualified tech for years let me simply say if you want some $200 cables send me the money and i'll do it....

apl said:
It's funny how you hear what you want to hear, especially after forking over the big bucks.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/myths.html

Believe me when I tell you that none of the people I have talked to WANTED to hear a difference. However, all of them told me that in the circumstances where they first heard the difference, the difference was more than subtle. Do I myself totally buy into this yet? Not really. I would like to test it though. Also keep in mind that for every test denying the possibility of improvement there is one or more to verify it. It does not make logical sense to me, but it would not be the first real thing to happen that did not make sense to me either. Also, bear in mind that becasue Ethan Winer says something does not make it an absolute truth (no disrespect intended...).

If it made much of a difference, it wouldn't be disputed. For $3000, the difference best not be subtle.

I guess it is important to remember that in many circles the difference is not disputed at all. In fact, it is primarily disputed in circles amongst which people have generally not tried any of them. There are plenty of people who think that high end speaker cable is highly overrated (or no better)... Then again there are also many people who believe that the $180 a foot Kimber Cable makes an incredible difference.

Maybe we should keep in mind that there is no $3000 cable that I am referring to... but more like a 12 foot power cable that lists at $850 and not $3000. I do realize that this is still very expensive, but there is a HUGE difference between a sellign price of $3000 and a list price of $850.

Power cables being better than others is rubbish. Any noise will come from the AC itself, so noisy AC is noisy AC and all power cords will transmit that. All filtering/rectification etc is done in a devices power supply not before and as long as the power cable can take whatever current that runs through it, then it makes no difference

there are so many things in my signal chain

that degrade the final product

starting with my abilities

then the room

the mic

the pre

the ad

the software

the da

the amp

the monitors

my ears

that any cabling

including line, mic, or power

(properly made and connected)

isn't going to make

a whit of audible difference

i shall continue to live

in blissful ignorance

here are some links

that make for interesting reading

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/14098/0/

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/9441/0/0/0/

in the end, for me, it's like the question of god

you believe or you don't

it's faith - there is no empirical proof

well said cannabis.

i'm just trying to imagine how many times a day the various forums are being spammed with threads like that one at gearslutz.

Back