Preamp????

Dioxide

Not really a nubie but what is the sole purpose for a preamp?? I'm recording using a delta 66 & 44 and it suggests one I've been using my mixer to run into my boxes and Vegas audio software to mix and add FX, would a preamp thicken up the sound thats pumped into the boxes, and then I just use my mixer for monitoring purposes??? :confused:

Dioxide said:
Not really a nubie but what is the sole purpose for a preamp?? I'm recording using a delta 66 & 44 and it suggests one I've been using my mixer to run into my boxes and Vegas audio software to mix and add FX, would a preamp thicken up the sound thats pumped into the boxes, and then I just use my mixer for monitoring purposes??? :confused:

Preamps are mainly used to increase the signal strength with instruments/mic's that do not have preamps installed in them...

ie: you're basic off the shelf stratocaster with passive pickups will need to go into a preamp to get the volume up for a nice clean healthy recording.

It also goes the same for microphones... you usually want to run a mic into a pre to give it extra boost for recording.

Preamps in combination with compressors/eq's help you shape the sound you want to be recorded.

I use the preamps built into the channels of my yamaha mixer which gives me enough volume to record.

Some pre's shape the sound, it's all in what you like :)

just my 2 cents.

g

Preamps also power the circuitry in a condensor microphone with the phantom power function.

I've been using my mixer to run into my boxes...

A mixer typically has preamps in it, in each channel that has a mic and/or instrument input.

It's possible they are not that great -- noisy or whatever -- and you can get better ones, but it sounds like you have no real need for one, unless your mixer is purely a line-level mixer.

Well I really only have four outs on my mixer thefore I can only have four seperate channels recording at once, and when recording drums I have no room for scratch tracks. so I need a preamp that can do 8 seperate in to 8 seperate out.

Dioxide said:
Well I really only have four outs on my mixer thefore I can only have four seperate channels recording at once, and when recording drums I have no room for scratch tracks. so I need a preamp that can do 8 seperate in to 8 seperate out.

Each input usually has an insert. You can patch that input to your recording interface using the insert.

Dioxide said:

there are plenty of 8+ channel mixing boards out there with pre's on each channel...

be careful, the quality of the preamps on some of those boards is poor... look for a board with pre's that have a low signal/noise ration -100db or more.

there are a few products out there that are rackmount preamps that have 8 channel i/o's... check musicians friend for "rack preamp". if money is an issue then go with a solid state pre like the behringer's, sm pro... (tubes are much more expensive).

Back