Power amp recommendation needed!

Fab4ever

Getting better
Hi all. I have recently obtained an old set of passive monitors. They are JBL 4311bs. They'll be my secondary reference monitors.

I've never had passive monitors before, so I need to figure out an amp for them. Anyone have any ideas?

Rotel high-current models (RB1070?), Bryston (almost anything from a 2B and up), Hafler TransNOVA (only available 'used' now).

Thanks for the quick and specific reply Massive! I have my eye on a Hafler on the 'bay right now.

Im using a phase linear 400a for my yamaha NS10s...but it will drive any set of monitors...I saw where Alan Parsons uses one.

Ive kinda wondered about them...I did play one of thier guitars in a pawn shop once...and it was nice.

Or maybe you are talking about Carver?...who was the designer at PhaseLinear when my amp was made.

Qsc

Hi all. I have recently obtained an old set of passive monitors. They are JBL 4311bs. They'll be my secondary reference monitors.

I've never had passive monitors before, so I need to figure out an amp for them. Anyone have any ideas?

QSC Amps are my choice...after auditioning many amps ..Power specs
etc...are meaningless ..and all amps do sound differant...........
I like tube amps also ......they have a vary simple design ...and they all
sound predictably similar ...plus they're what was used in the 60's
and your sound reproduction will be also

Actually a reference amp should be like a wire with gain to do its job...the tube thing is obsolete...a subtle touch for compression in your signal path might be nice...but not in the monitor chain.

QSC is a nice amp line but I dont have much experience with them.

Thanks for all the replies. I opted to get a Hafler Trans Nova P2400 - it's 120 watts per side @ 8 ohms.

I have another really dumb question, however. The old speakers only have inputs for the speaker wire that you wrap or stick into the terminals (no plugs). Assuming the Hafler has similar outputs, what kind of wire do I buy to go from the amp to the speakers? Standard speaker wire>? What's the best place to get the stuff?

You could just go to Home Depot and get 14 or 12 gauge speaker wire - Cheap. If you want black, you can go with lamp-cord.

Its more of a distance question...awg 14 should do the trick...but 12 is cheap enough for 12'.
Avoid the monster cable...you will just spend more than you have to.

Back