pots on an Otari

reel buzzer

OK here I am. Analog newbie here. Here's the deal for the experts to help me with:

I have an Otari 1/2 inch 8 track, the MX5050III.
I got it on Ebay in January, only the third owner, whoever had took excellent care of it. Recorded "Arriving" and "Heartstrings" on it so far: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/ragsclothesbottlesmusic.htm

My only problem is that the input level knobs on the on the preamp, 3 of them I have to run a hot signal in and turn it all the way back and forth a couple of times before I get a clear signal.
Is this something that I can fix by cleaning the pots?

Many thanks in advance.

Caig laboratories makes a wonderful product called Deox-it that seems to work miracles on dirty and scratchy pots as well as connectors and switches that are intermittent.

It's available in a 5oz non-aerosol pump spray can and comes with an extender nozzle to get into tight spaces.

In most cases you can apply a small amount of the product down into the shaft of the post and let it leach into the affected area by turning the pot back and forth several times.

Unless the pot is physically damaged from an impact hit that separated the contact areas in the pot, it should help to solve the problem.

If after applying the cleaner, your problem is still there, the calibration of the recorder may have to be looked at to see if there is an internal adjustment required to get a normal gain behavior out of the control or, replace the pot if it is physically damaged.

I swear by the stuff and swear at the stuff that needs it!:D

www.caig.com

Cheers! :)

Back