Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

Another four track cassette Portastudio effort.

Here's the fourth and final tune from the little cassette Portastudio EP I've been making. I've been working this one up all day. The usual minimalist rules apply with this Tascam MFP-01 cassette Portastudio 'cause you can only record one thing at a time and it's got no NR, eq, effects loops, click tracks or bouncing or anything like that. So it's all acoustic instruments recorded to a Type II C12 cassette using one old Sennheiser MD-21 omni mike and mixed with pan and volume only to another Type II master with Dolby C then dubbed off to Type I for final form. This digital copy has come off the Type II master.

It's got nylon guitar, acoustic bass, harmonica, tambourine and vocals. Again some of these instruments I don't play that often (or well) so I got to keep it simple.

It's the first one on the song list - "Empty Cups". And it's country too - sorry 'bout that.

Empty Cups

Tomorrow I'll work out what I'll package the ep up in.

Now I'm off to the pub.

:drunk:

Well this little Portastudio, cockroach, "Blue Wood", four tune ep got a colored popsicle stick box this time, with pyrographed top and hand lettered 8 page booklet & cassette label (handwriting to you and me :)).

Limited to a release of, um, er, one maybe?

BoxOpen.jpg

BoxClosed.jpg

Kind of dumb really. Then again, it is made of wood and it does have blue(s) in/on it.

:o

Last edited:
Here's the fourth and final tune from the little cassette Portastudio EP I've been making. I've been working this one up all day. The usual minimalist rules apply with this Tascam MFP-01 cassette Portastudio 'cause you can only record one thing at a time and it's got no NR, eq, effects loops, click tracks or bouncing or anything like that. So it's all acoustic instruments recorded to a Type II C12 cassette using one old Sennheiser MD-21 omni mike and mixed with pan and volume only to another Type II master with Dolby C then dubbed off to Type I for final form. This digital copy has come off the Type II master.

It's got nylon guitar, acoustic bass, harmonica, tambourine and vocals. Again some of these instruments I don't play that often (or well) so I got to keep it simple.

It's the first one on the song list - "Empty Cups". And it's country too - sorry 'bout that.

Empty Cups

Tomorrow I'll work out what I'll package the ep up in.

Now I'm off to the pub.

:drunk:

Pretty cool jedblue :). Love the packaging. harmonica sounds great. My 10 year old daughter overheard and commented "that's actually pretty good...".

High praise from her as she's actually a pretty tough critic and doesn't like much of anything.

Limited to a release of, um, er, one maybe?

Geoff, I must say your cassette album art has rubbed off on me through the months I've known about your releases. I've been contemplating doing something similar but there's so much to learn, about how to put it all together. Where do you find the sticks and how do you glue them on, with what? Do you actually hand write the cassette labels or on the computer? Save me some trial & error and give me a few tips, OK? ;)

BTW, I'm always amazed by the quality of your recordings. Amazing! The minimalist, bare bones approach says a lot about you as an artist. I mean, how many people can record in such a limited way (gear wise) and still pull off something like this? WOW! This is a perfect example of artist & recording technique first and gear last. :)

Ah Daniel, I buy those popsicle sticks in the craft section of the local discount store down in the strip mall. You know the kind of thing - $2.oo per bag of a hundred. I just stick them together with PVA glue and cut off the sticking out bits with a little saw then sand them up a bit. The sticks were pre-colored this time but usually I use plain ones and oil the box when it's made. I've got a heated pyrograph pen that burns the text in. I just hand write everything else for these little Portastudio ep's, labels and booklets. If I'm doing a Lonely Few cassingle then I use lino cuts and block printing for the J card and a typewriter for the labels. If I'm doing an album for a friend then it's all done a little better with MS Publisher and a color laser printer. Just trial and error really. :)

Ah Doug, very good. I like it all. Maybe you could mix it all down to cassette, knock up some funky cassette artwork and see if Jon at Lost Sound Tapes Lost Sound Tapes is interested? Jon is a member here and sometimes visits.

Good work, I like it a whole lot. :)

Jedblue: I really like "empty cups" sounds great to me!!

Dougdeeper: Grow Down was really cool sounding! What board were you going through?

well, i used a mixer i made for monitoring/bouncing (8 channels with just volume and pan).
but upfront was just pres and an art provla.
the pres were a modded shure m67 for most things (just made into 4 pres)
and an m-audio dmp3 (only really used for drum overheads and bass cab micing).

Street Racer Parts I & II

Well I told you I'd stick it up once some packaging was done...

Recorded my favorite way - three piece band live to 1/4" two track. What you get on the take is what you get. It's in two parts with a little gap in the middle. Leave it running for part II if you get that far.

Street Racer Parts I & II

Lino cut block printed cassette art and glorious surround (((SUPERMONO))) of course...

CIMG2436.jpg

Punk I suppose? :)

A couple of simple live 4 track recordings I did of my band last weekend. The deck is a TEAC 2340r running at 3.75 ips with RMG SM911 tape.

Recording was done using a Mackie 1202 1st gen (pre vlz) mixer, 2 GT (alesis) AM-52 LD condensors on either side of the stage and a littl MXL pencil condensor down low mid stage (forget the model number) and the 4th track from the PA head which had only vocals and the keyboards.

I just mixed it into the PC through the 1202 with no effects and did a little touch up eq and limiting in adobe audition. They aren't the most polished sounding recordings but they were easy and quick to set up and they are good enough to give an idea of what the band sounds like in a little club live. :drunk:

Satisfied:

Whipping Post

Thanks for listening :)

A couple of simple live 4 track recordings I did of my band last weekend. The deck is a TEAC 2340r running at 3.75 ips with RMG SM911 tape.

Recording was done using a Mackie 1202 1st gen (pre vlz) mixer, 2 GT (alesis) AM-52 LD condensors on either side of the stage and a littl MXL pencil condensor down low mid stage (forget the model number) and the 4th track from the PA head which had only vocals and the keyboards.

I just mixed it into the PC through the 1202 with no effects and did a little touch up eq and limiting in adobe audition. They aren't the most polished sounding recordings but they were easy and quick to set up and they are good enough to give an idea of what the band sounds like in a little club live. :drunk:

Satisfied:

Whipping Post

Thanks for listening :)

Thanks for sharing. The sound is really nice. Good job.

Back