Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

I kept forgetting to add this. Recorded March 5th, on a TSR-8.

...it was recorded on what appears to be old RMGI stock as it shed like crazy. I'm going to have to dub it onto another reel, I think. Fortunately I have two TSRs.

I never did come up with a good name for it, though.

Last edited:
Analog Only Album

ok! So I've finally got something to share.

I just finished an album of songs recorded entirely on the 388. So the story on this is that I was just testing out the 388 and so was making cover songs (didn't want to get neurotic about endless aesthetic questions associated with my own songs, just wanted to listen to the sounds, make overdubbs, whatever - test the stuff - not be concerned so much about content, but have it be musical and with the instruments & arrangement styles i'm inclined to) ...then it got kind of addictive, I could learn some old favorite in the morning and have it all tracked by noon... and so i ended up with an album of covers, not what I'm usually doing, and i wasn't intending to make an album at all, just test out gear to 'get ready', but one thing leads to another, and... MY FIRST ANALOG ALBUM SINCE 1994(!) :drunk:- gotta say its certainly more fun tracking and generally less angst ridden than my digital memories....

I've got plans to change my work flow after i get back in the summer, but for these songs here's how it went:
>mics: (1) variable pattern chinese tube mic modded w/ peluso capsule (2) Rode NT2A (3) Beyer Dynamic small diaphragm omni
>on the way in: Preamp/COmpressor/EQ: two Belari RP503s modded w/ different op-amps /tubes.
>reverb effects loop are the effects from an old Roland VS890 I had (its good for something!) - mostly i use the plate emulations, perhaps overly thick sometimes...)
> I'm using some more compression with Bellari LA120 & RNC 1773 on individual tracks.
>mixed to computer through EMU 1616m recorded into cubase using Ozone for mastering.

as I said, I've got plans for a different work flow, and all these recordings show a bit the signs of my analog learning curve in process. (mostly levels... something i'm not so good at while being a 'musician' and 'engineer' at the same time...) and I didn't spend a lot of time on these (but its often better that way...)

so there's three of the tracks i've got up here, an opening instrumental and two songs. if those are of interest and anyone wants to hear the the whole thing PM me for a link to the mp3's (but be patient, i'm in the eye of a tornado at the moment...) on the other hand if anyone wants to have one of the hand packaged cds (and happens to read this before Monday 22nd March) you can make arrangements via paypal, i'm sending them out Monday, but likely won't be able to after that - there's instructions on the link.

I chose a couple tracks with backing voices because that's one of the things I might have changed if I had more time and wouldn't mind feedback / ideas about it - i could've prob'ly mixed 5 versions with different approach with backing voices volume/verb/pan settings etc. and with any given listening environment one or the others would have seemed more 'right', but i had time constraints and did all the mixing/mastering in 2 days, making quick decisions.

It's hard to believe that its been less than 3 months with my 388, it feels so natural...:)

so enough babble, here's the link::D - any feedback appreciated.
http://www.ingowanring.com/HOMEREC.html

LUNE! Thats amazing! I cant get my vocals to sound anywhere as good as you.
And the guitar track on Tomorrows sun? beautiful

Yeah Lune. Sound real good. I like how everything on "sun" sounds so big. Do you think the tube mic had anything to do with that?

thanks everyone for the kind words!

Yeah Lune. Sound real good. I like how everything on "sun" sounds so big. Do you think the tube mic had anything to do with that?

The tube mic could've helped - you know that peluso capsule mod chinese mic is my favored mic of any I've owned past or present - I've not had many super expensive mics, but for example, I recall making A/B tests with a Rode K2 I had and the K2 sounded 'flat and one dimensional' by comparison. though i got my capsule when they were still selling them cheap, i think they're still worth the 200$ or whatever it is.

but really for 'bigness', i'm guessing the tape, the tube compression on the way in and the multiband compression (in the box at mastering) had more to do with that than the tube mic perhaps.

one more thing i've got to say in praise of tape: its so sweet on high frequency instruments! bells, whistles/flutes, tambourine... these were such a pain for me in the digital world, but whatever tape does (something with selective frequency compression and harmonic 'enlivening'?) makes these high frequency instruments so much nicer to hear and mix with - and not feel like you've got to bury them in reverb or something.... that bell in 'Tomorrow's Sun' - I never would have dared to mix it so 'boldly' on digital - It would have been obnoxious to me.

One mike Tascam MF-P01 4 track Portastudio instrumental

Here's one I've been noodling around with on my MF-P01 4 track portastudio, one old 60's Sennheiser MD-21 omni mike, single mike brush drums, acoustic bass, Hammond L122 and Suzuki Metalophone. Recorded on a c12 type II then mixed down to another c12 type II on Akai GX-95 with Dolby C then sucked into Wave Studio and out at 128kbits. No eq or effects on the MF-P01, just pan and volume.

I'm not that good on the Hammond or my daughter's metalophone but it was kind of fun to do. It's called "a Minor Vibe" even though it's in E. :)

a Minor Vibe

Last edited:
everything was recorded and mixed with the 688.(rough mixes)
unfortunately my friend uploaded them in a bad bitrate and myspace compresses the s*** out of it.

Newbie here so be gentle!

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=22090

Forgot to mention this is the tracking mix, No dedicated mixing yet. We just tracked and then I ran this off for the band to listen to. I'd still like to know what you guys think of it

thanks
-Barrett

I'm diggin' the shit out of this.

Good work, man. Killer song. Recording has a great tone. Can't wait to hear the finished product (or any related recordings for that matter).

Give us more!

I'm diggin' the shit out of this.

Good work, man. Killer song. Recording has a great tone. Can't wait to hear the finished product (or any related recordings for that matter).

Give us more!

Hey! Thanks so much for listening! The EP we're working on is almost finished and I think the other three songs are totally on par with this one, this ones just the most finished, I'll definitely post the entire EP when I get a chance.

Thanks a bunch,
-Barrett

Back