Please go shopping for me

ax1lla

First of all, I love this site. The people on here know their stuff inside and out. It is much aprpeciated for a newbie like myself.

That being said, there is almost TOO much info out here. I've been trying to find a good post that tells me what software and interface is the best bang for the buck, but can't seem to find a definitive answer. And yes, i know it depends on many factors. Which is why I'm going to give you the money and you can decide <hands over $300>

Got it? Don't spend it yet please.

I have a an i5 windows 7 laptop (HP). I mainly want to record guitar and vocals. Some piano and bass as well.

I thought I was going to get the mbox and ProTools, but after reading a bunch of posts on here, i have decided I will most likely just get Reaper to start my journey. So, let's pretend i already have that.

If possible I would like to have two mic inputs (XLR) and at least one line input for bass. I would like more if possible for the budget though....

I want to put together some of my origianl songs and send them to some places to see if I can sell any of them (TAXI I heard was a good place for this)

Anyway, you have my $300. So.....what are you going to buy me?

:)

Thanks ahead of time,

Corey

Thanks MoreSound - Although I think the lapdance would suit me better than the Zoom.

Tetrafish - thanks for the reply. One thing I wonder is why I don't see many that have 2XLR inputs but also have a 1/4 input as well. this would mean I can't plug a bass directly in, right?

I looked in device Manager and see:
Intel(R) 5 series/3400 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller - 3B03
Intel(R) PM55 Express Chipset LPC Interface Controller - 3B03

not sure if you can tell by this? or maybe i just need to contact Presonus or whomever before buying......

Most of those two channel interface/preamps are both XLR and 1/4' on the same input, it's a new kind of thing and most people still don't realize that it is like that, even when they own them!

:cool:

Thanks MoreSound - Although I think the lapdance would suit me better than the Zoom.

Tetrafish - thanks for the reply. One thing I wonder is why I don't see many that have 2XLR inputs but also have a 1/4 input as well. this would mean I can't plug a bass directly in, right?

I looked in device Manager and see:
Intel(R) 5 series/3400 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller - 3B03
Intel(R) PM55 Express Chipset LPC Interface Controller - 3B03

not sure if you can tell by this? or maybe i just need to contact Presonus or whomever before buying......

The one I linked to is USB so it shouldn't be a problem.

A good rule of thumb for firewire is a Texas Instrument firewire chipset. Some people have posted here with laptops that don't even have firewire. Maybe check HP's web site to see what the chipset is if you have firewire.

Wow MoreSound - I had no idea actually. Now that I look at it close up i can see it. That is pretty cool.

So far based on another thread I've read, I'm down to

e-mu 0404 USB ($185)
Audio Kontrol 1 ($229)
PreSonus AudioBox ($150)

Although I am willing to spend more if it is worth it.....

Any other ideas to look at it? Or any thoughts on the three listed?

Thanks again for the input

Your right it is very confusing with so much on offer but it sounds like moresound got some bang for his buck with the lapdances :)

Vroom !

That being said, there is almost TOO much info out here. I've been trying to find a good post that tells me what software and interface is the best bang for the buck, but can't seem to find a definitive answer. And yes, i know it depends on many factors.

Welcome on board, we'll have you in shipshape in no time, that is, clapped out, broke and all washed up !

Seriously though, your observation of there being almost too much info out there is correct. That's the nature of forums in a way ~ it's the clamour of many voices. Very little is actually definitive. You decide what is definitive. Then later on someone comes and definitives just that bit better. So the approach I tend to take is to view it all like a huge car showroom full of every kind of car imaginable, some right old pieces of junk, some sleek stylish artifacts to die for. But they all drive at least OK and even the shitty junk pile will be better for rough rocky terrain than the aerodynamic sports job.......

Wow MoreSound - I had no idea actually. Now that I look at it close up i can see it. That is pretty cool.

So far based on another thread I've read, I'm down to

e-mu 0404 USB ($185)
Audio Kontrol 1 ($229)
PreSonus AudioBox ($150)

Although I am willing to spend more if it is worth it.....

Any other ideas to look at it? Or any thoughts on the three listed?

Thanks again for the input

The Emu 0404 USB has great preamps and excellent AD/DA conversion, the best in its price range. It has 2 XLR combo inputs, which accomodate 1/4" jacks, but I have not used it as a DI yet so cannot comment on that. Very quiet little unit, and recordings are excellent with it. Sometimes when using it with Reaper, playback sounds quit, and I have to restart Reaper to get the playback sounds again. Not sure what is up with that. All in all, very happy with it.

OK, so I have added a few more to this list based on another post I read. I know a few of these are over the price I stated, but.....if it was worth it I would splurge.

Considering:
1. e-mu 0404 USB ($185)
2. PreSonus AudioBox ($150)
3. M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8X8 ($318)
4. Zoom R16 ($399) - I think this is overkill, but....

Eliminated:
1. Audio Kontrol 1 ($229) - only one mic input
2. Line 6 POD Studio UX2 ($169) - i've read reviews that say support sucks for Line 6
3. Lap Dance - a lapdance this expensive would give me a heart attack or a divorce
4. Ounce of Chronic - my glaucoma isn't that bad.

So, regarding the first 3 I am considering - The reivews all had SOME people complaining about the drivers. I have no idea what to expect here.....

Also, I am concerned about drivers for Windows 7 (64-bit). Am i going to run into problems?

Unless there is another interface out there I don't have listed that I should seriously consider......what do you guys think? Because I'm a newbie and don't really know what I'm getting into.....I was going to pick the emu. But again, driver support scares me.

I think in that price range there aren't going to be any real standouts. Quality is going to be about the same.

I recommend you check out some of the user forums for the products and see if people are having issues with windows 7 64, and if there seems to be decent driver support. If everything seems up to snuff then pick the one with the features that you like the best.

-SC

So, regarding the first 3 I am considering - The reivews all had SOME people complaining about the drivers. I have no idea what to expect here.....

Also, I am concerned about drivers for Windows 7 (64-bit). Am i going to run into problems?

The thing about the internet is that we are all a bunch of whiners so pick any piece of gear and you'll find some negative comments. Really the only people that go to support forums are having problems, no one ever posts that things are all A-OK.

Just make sure whatever you buy that the manufacturer supplies drivers for Win 7.

Back