Please go shopping for me

Let's hear it for the Fish !

The thing about the internet is that we are all a bunch of whiners so pick any piece of gear and you'll find some negative comments. Really the only people that go to support forums are having problems, no one ever posts that things are all A-OK.
:drunk:This is a point worth bearing in mind ! Customer support workers get stressed, hassled and depressed from the harranguings of the public. Rarely do you see them full of the joys of spring !

3. M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8X8 ($318)

That one's got my vote. I've been using a pair of MAudio 1010lts together for YEARS. Always solid and never failed. I think that will have sound quality as good as anything else in the $ range. Plus, its got more inputs than the rest- thats a no-brainer to me. If you stick with this hobby, I bet you a cheeseburger you'll eventually wish you had more inputs (and probably sooner than later, too). Even if you only wanted to record a guitar and your voice, I'd say 2 inputs isn't enough to be flexible.

Welcome to the site.

Good lord........

I have looked at reviews and chatter about all these interfaces and they pretty much all have one thing in common.....

Driver issues.

In fact, I thought I'd go directly to the site for e-mu 0404 USB and they specifcally state that they don't have any drivers for Win7 and that most users don't have issues with the drivers for Win Vista on a Win 7 machine. Most? C'mon!

This is frustrating. I'm a research nerd. I mean, I research EVERYTHING before buying. and every time I am confident that the product I am choosing is worth the price and that I'm getting the best bang for my buck. However, with these audio interfaces, I'm out of patience. I'm only a few seconds away from buying some Chronic (even though I don't smoke) and going to get a lapdance.

Jeff D - i agree, more inputs the better. However, I read about a bunch of issues with that one as well (see Amazon.com reviews). I think it's between those two, however, I'm very reluctant to get seomthing that isn't supported.

Plus, its got more inputs than the rest- thats a no-brainer to me. If you stick with this hobby, I bet you a cheeseburger you'll eventually wish you had more inputs (and probably sooner than later, too). Even if you only wanted to record a guitar and your voice, I'd say 2 inputs isn't enough to be flexible.

Welcome to the site.
Two input/simultaneously recording on two tracks thingies; I predict they will do the "used" rounds big time in the future, rather like the way Eagles and Blondie records can always be found in bargain bins in second hand record shops over here.

{And before any of their fans come to lynch me, I like some of their stuff and if you don't believe me, if you're ever in London, check out the 2nd hand stores and see for yourself !}

Good lord........

Driver issues.

The MAudio website has a driver for Win7 32 and 64.
Do you have a Guitar Center or Sam Ash or major music store near you? I'd buy from a store so you can (more easily) return something that turns out not to work... Personally, I'll never buy anything from Emu/ Creative again.

As for inputs, even just for voice and guitar, I'd say 4 is a practical minimum. It wouldn't be uncommon to put 2 mics on an acoustic guitar, and then sing into a third.

Thanks Jeff - I was thinking 4 inputs as well, but your words convinced me.

Curious - what bad experience did you have with emu /creative?

btw i recieved a response from Emu in case anyone cares:

"E-MU is pleased to announce that we now have a public Beta Windows 7
Driver driver for all current E-MU USB Audio Interface products. Applies to: E
-MU 0202 USB, E-MU 0404 USB, and TRACKER Pre. USB.

You can get the new driver by following this link:

http://connect.creativelabs.com/emu/default.aspx

Before you decide whether to install Beta drivers or applications, it is
important to understand that a Beta release though tested for relative
stability, DOES NOT have the same stability of a final release version of E-MU
software. You may encounter problems with a Beta release that could
possibly result in loss or corruption of data or necessitate a reformat of your
hard drive or the reinstalling of your Operating System software. Beta
releases are meant for testing and validation only, not for production use. We
STRONGLY recommend that you back up your existing hard disk data before
you install and run the Beta released software on your computer."

Wow. So, just when I thought I had made my choice....

Buzzard - I don't get it. What's the catch? How can I get this many inputs for this cheap? Does it matter that it's a "rack" unit? I can't imagine why....

I don't know anything about preamps, but are the preamps not good on this one perhaps?

Don't mean to be a skeptic, but i guess i just don't get why it's so cheap......

Hmmmmm....

This might be a dumb question, but what does it mean when an interface like this (the tascam) has 16 inputs (10 simultaneous) but only 4 outputs? Does that mean your tracks are combined by the time they make it to your PC application? Or are they still split?

You go to PC by the USB cable. Prolly a clearance item, that's why so cheap. I bought one a month ago, it was more then. It'll just keep going down. Until they run out, Amazon evidently have, it's now sold from another dealer through Amazon, when I posted it was sold directly from Amazon.

This might be a dumb question, but what does it mean when an interface like this (the tascam) has 16 inputs (10 simultaneous) but only 4 outputs? Does that mean your tracks are combined by the time they make it to your PC application? Or are they still split?

Your tracks are still split, but you can only output to four speakers/two stereo pairs (which is more than enough) for playback from your computer.

It doesn't arrive until Tuesday. I'm probably going to abandon my plan to use REaper since it comes with the lite version of cubase.

It doesn't arrive until Tuesday. I'm probably going to abandon my plan to use REaper since it comes with the lite version of cubase.

You can still use Reaper. Your call. I prefer Reaper to my very limited use of Cubase.

Back