Phantom power mic and headphone amp interference..HELP!

danielheeger

I'm new to home recording. My current setup: M-Audio Mobile Pre (dont laugh, it works), running the rear line outs into a PreSonus HP4 headphone mixer.

Well, I know there is no problem with my Shure SM57 mic and my Senhieser 409. I just got a Blue Spark mic. Problem is, if I try using my headphone amp while using the phantom power on the interface to power my Spark, I get a kind of screech. However, if I put my headphones into the headphone out on the interface itself, it goes away. Please tell me there is something that can be done about this. My friend usually helps me record, so I need the extra outputs from the headphone amp. Btw, that squeal records too, and it's just really annoying. Please help.

Are you sure it isn't feedback from having the headphones up too loud with a sensitive Mic in the room?
How are you connecting the headphones amp to the interface?

It sounds like you're running your headphone amp in between the input and mic somehow.... or I just cannot comprehend your problem. Give a little more info!

Others have suggested feedback, and it sounds like you've managed to set up a feedback loop somehow.

The interface should have a line-out which you can use to go to a headphone amp.

Well, as far as the feedback, I don't think its doing that. No matter how low I turn the headphones it still does that. I am running the line outs from the interface into the inputs of the headphone amp. Like I said at the first of the post, it doesn't do the digital "squealing" when I use my other mics. Just this one running off of phantom power.

Back