PC help

666kennedy

ive started recording and it was going great, got all instruments down and a song is starting to take shape, then for no reason cubase just freezes and about 5mins later errors come up talking about buffers and C++ something, if u need the exact words ill post them, i tried increasing virtual memory but that didnt work, basically now i need to record parts in a different project and copy them in tho the song, and then need to save those projects so the audio files dont get deleted. i also tried defragmenting computer, and deleting everything that i dont need on computer to try make more space. i even close/stop everything running at the same time to decrease the strain on cpu.

i really dont know what to do, can anyone suggest anything that isnt the obvious "get more memory" as thats what i think it probably is.

ive started recording and it was going great, got all instruments down and a song is starting to take shape, then for no reason cubase just freezes and about 5mins later errors come up talking about buffers and C++ something, if u need the exact words ill post them, i tried increasing virtual memory but that didnt work, basically now i need to record parts in a different project and copy them in tho the song, and then need to save those projects so the audio files dont get deleted. i also tried defragmenting computer, and deleting everything that i dont need on computer to try make more space. i even close/stop everything running at the same time to decrease the strain on cpu.

i really dont know what to do, can anyone suggest anything that isnt the obvious "get more memory" as thats what i think it probably is.

I agree, you can probably fix the problem with more/better memory.

It's a long shot, but one thing you should try (if you haven't already) is to adjust your processor scheduling to give priority to background services (as opposed to programs) because Windows treats the heavy processor crunching required by most plug-ins, etc. in Cubase as background services.

In XP go to control panel -> system -> advanced tab -> performance settings -> advanced tab again -> processor scheduling

Another thing to do (again, if you haven't already) is drop to DOS, run msconfig, and kill all parasitic start-up programs that you know you don't need. This can really wake up a machine if it has been allowed to get out of hand.

MattDee

ive started recording and it was going great, got all instruments down and a song is starting to take shape, then for no reason cubase just freezes and about 5mins later errors come up talking about buffers and C++ something, if u need the exact words ill post them, i tried increasing virtual memory but that didnt work, basically now i need to record parts in a different project and copy them in tho the song, and then need to save those projects so the audio files dont get deleted.

A 90 word sentance. Impressive.

Memory is pretty cheap these days, might just be worth biting the bullet and getting some more.

Thank you, I'll work on my grammar!

and cheers, i have tried the background task thing and i will also try getting rid of start up programs the computer doesn't need.

thanks again for your help.

Back