Original Tune - Come on in (Heavy Melodic Alternative Rock)

Flyguitarfish

Wrote and recorded this one over the weekend. I decided to try to write a song backwards (I made it up on the drums first and retrofitted the music). I even pulled out my crybaby for the first time in years. I bought it in 1994, noisy pot but it still works.

Still trying to get to vocals to sit right. Low end is also tricky for me. Thanks for any feedback!

(LYRICS)

COME ON IN

I wasn’t hiding
How did you find me
It’s not a secret
Tell everybody
It didn’t help me
It wasn’t nothing
Where did this come from
A little rusty

CHORUS
It won’t take long
Please come on in
It’s for the best
Time to begin

(Mix 1)

Attempt to unbury the vocals…any better (Mix 2)?…

(Mix 3) A little more balanced I think, not so scooped…

Last edited:
I think your vox is getting buried because it's such a bright mix...
Bottom end sounds fine to me.

Very thought provoking lyric 8-)

Wrote and recorded this one over the weekend. I decided to try to write a song backwards (I made it up on the drums first and retrofitted the music). I even pulled out my crybaby for the first time in years. I bought it in 1994, noisy pot but it still works.

Still trying to get to vocals to sit right. Low end is also tricky for me. Thanks for any feedback!

(LYRICS)

COME ON IN

I wasn’t hiding
How did you find me
It’s not a secret
Tell everybody
It didn’t help me
It wasn’t nothing
Where did this come from
A little rusty

CHORUS
It won’t take long
Please come on in
It’s for the best
Time to begin

View attachment 144776
Attempt to unbury the vocals…any better (Mix 2)?…

Last edited:
That actually is a bit better.
Take a break, watch some music videos, then come back to it...

All that really matters is if YOU think it sounds good 8-)

I think the third mix is the best of the group. Mix 2 just seemed to lose the bottom, mix 1 wasn't too bad but it seemed scooped in the middle more so than #3.

Good song, Odi.

• Love
Reactions: Odi
I think the third mix is the best of the group. Mix 2 just seemed to lose the bottom, mix 1 wasn't too bad but it seemed scooped in the middle more so than #3.

Good song, Odi.

I should have labeled the mixes, as there are only 2 mixes…I just clarified them in the posts above, lol! Sorry, I was just trying to update the original post as I replied to Odi.

Yes, I tried to give a little more midrange in the latest of the two mixes, especially in the vocals trying to get them to pop without boosting too much volume. The drums might be a tad bright and guitar solo a tad loud.

And yes, good song Odi!

• Haha
Reactions: Odi
That's strange, because it seemed there was more bottom.... Can't explain, except that I was standing partway back in the room while I was listening, not sitting down. It must have changed my perspective.

And I was just listening to some of Odi's stuff. My Gun, Breathe and You Lie, and then just linked the two... Didn't mean to shortchange you Fly!

My apologies. :facepalm:

I think your vox is getting buried because it's such a bright mix...
Bottom end sounds fine to me.

Very thought provoking lyric 8-)
Spot on. Going back and hearing in different contexts, it’s a very bright mix. I’ll see what I can do.

Between 2 n 3... I like 2 lol.
But, I think they could both use a medium notch somewhere around 2000? Just guessing...
Put an Eq on your master track. I'd be willing to bet that your mid-highs are peaking about the same as your mid-lows.

I like mix 3 the best. Seems the most balanced. Can’t get too specific as I only listened on my phone.

Catchy tune. It’s short, gets to the point and there’s actually lots of changes to keep it interesting.
Btw, considering the wah pedal has been sitting unused for a while, you did a good job with it. Like riding a bike. :D

I’d take a break from mixing for a little bit, and just listen to it on different systems.

One can mix a song to death trying to shoot for perfection.

I like mix 3 the best. Seems the most balanced. Can’t get too specific as I only listened on my phone.

Catchy tune. It’s short, gets to the point and there’s actually lots of changes to keep it interesting.
Btw, considering the wah pedal has been sitting unused for a while, you did a good job with it. Like riding a bike. :D

I’d take a break from mixing for a little bit, and just listen to it on different systems.

Thank you for the compliments and very good advice. It’s been beat nearly to death, but if I give it some space it might survive!

The comments have been really helpful to shape this one. So again, very much appreciated everyone!

Click on a Mark Skinner tune and check the skeleton at the mixing desk. Cracks me up every time.

Reactions: RFR
Back