opinnions on a Line 6 spider IV?

Well, you did ask for opinnions. I've never owned a Ford Pinto or a Mercedes, but I sure have opinions on which one's better.

again, fair enough, and you do have a point...but..I was`nt looking for a SS VS tube amp debate...give me a little credit will ya?..LOL
I guess I should have said... opinnions from those who have actually owned and/or used one for any lengh of time, instead of those who heard from so and so etc..

its a bit late now..but how about a re-phrase....what do you think of a spider 6 vs other SOLID STATE amps :)

blah blah blah..all the negative reviews were posted by people who have never owned one..LOL..

ohh and sorry you need such "complex" guitar rigs to get by...bwaaahahahhaha!!!

hey man, it is what it is..you came in this thread posting nothing but trash, insulting ignorant crap, so deal with it...
I have a SINGLE guitar worth more then ALL your guitar related equiptment combined..FACT...research my previous post on here to figure out what it is...

In other news, I drove down towards the big D (detroit) today and picked up a new FBV shortboard MKII earlier.... :)

Congrats! With every post you've managed to dig yourself deeper and deeper into a pit of ignorance. It doesn't surprise me at all that you own an overpriced guitar to go with your overpriced toy amp. I pity your ears.

Anyways, I'll admit to never owning the head. I had a little spider 3 combo that sounded like junk, but did the trick for practice. Got rid of that some years ago.

I have heard the big spider 4 combo and that thing was turds, but he wasn't helping anything by running it in buzz saw mode.

I watched a black metal band using a spider and it sort of worked for that style but he dialed it in to dark.

There are only a few solid state amps that I think are cool enough to own (and probably would snag them if they came up at the right price):

All of these are about as one trick pony as you can get though and are (IMO) good for one sound only except maybe the jazz. I'm not a fan of Dime at all but have heard some decent clips of the fallowing:

1. Marshall valvestate 8100, head only.
2. D100 (dime amp)
3. Roland Jazz
4. The older Randall Warhead
5. Vox valvetronix
6. Line 6 Vetta (and I'm iffy on this one a bit with the small amount of time I have had on it)

Anyhow I have been through more amps than guitars personally. I'm happy with my current setup though. Peavey 5150, Mesa DR, and a crate cab loaded factory with vintage 30s (I grabbed this around 12 years ago, not sure if they make it anymore).

I've had in the past:

1. Fender bassman 100 (this was a voodoo mod though so didn't really sound like a bassman when I had it side by side with a stock bassman 100)
2. Crate blue voodoo 120H (this was a crap tube amp)
3. Westbury 100 2X12 combo
4. Crate G1600 XL, this was by far the worst amp I have ever owned. First half stack.
5. Vox AC100 head (this was nothing like an AC30 IMO)
6. Epiphone solid state practice amp (don't remember the model, doesn't matter anyway)
7. Epiphone valve JR head.
8. Line 6 spider 3 practice amp, I think it had a 10" in it.

Somehow I have managed to never own a Marshall. Going to have to fix that at some point. Would really like to own a blues breaker.

The only line 6 anything I run at the moment is the toneport UX2 and that is because you can run guitars silent with the drummer and not clog up your preamps with it (I run it via s/pdif).

Congrats! With every post you've managed to dig yourself deeper and deeper into a pit of ignorance. It doesn't surprise me at all that you own an overpriced guitar to go with your overpriced toy amp. I pity your ears.

jelous are ya?....LOL..... :) hey man, dont worry, one day you`ll wake up and perhaps stop being a tube snob..LOL
ever heard a marshall with the bass turned all the way down, mids all the way up, and the highs all the way up? sounds like shit does`nt it?

thats an example of what a line 6 might sound like, when ya dont have a clue what your doing...bwaahahaha..

that said..I gotta say, just like any forum, I kinda figured this one had some "haters" and jelous types as well, but wow...I did`nt figure it`d be this bad...good grief..grow up a little bit boys...

I mean really..a guy ask for opinnions...obviously from those with EXPERIENCE with a perticular amp, and ends up on page 5 after a bunch of immature idiots do alot of trash talking, with absolutly NO "real" experience? you guys are embarasing man...seriously, you trying to make the site look bad or what?..wow..pathetic...

a simple "I`ve owned one-played on one etc, and did`nt like its sound and would recomend aganst it" would be fine...but all this childish crap you guys are posting, is really a joke..you look retarded....
but then again..whats to say any of you are actually adults?...hummm....I may be onto something?..LOL..

either way, I shall rock on...have fun trash talking on the net, while others are moving "forward"..LOL

jelous are ya?....LOL..... :) hey man, dont worry, one day you`ll wake up and perhaps stop being a tube snob..LOL
ever heard a marshall with the bass turned all the way down, mids all the way up, and the highs all the way up? sounds like shit does`nt it?

thats an example of what a line 6 might sound like, when ya dont have a clue what your doing...bwaahahaha..

that said..I gotta say, just like any forum, I kinda figured this one had some "haters" and jelous types as well, but wow...I did`nt figure it`d be this bad...good grief..grow up a little bit boys...

I mean really..a guy ask for opinnions...obviously from those with EXPERIENCE with a perticular amp, and ends up on page 5 after a bunch of immature idiots do alot of trash talking, with absolutly NO "real" experience? you guys are embarasing man...seriously, you trying to make the site look bad or what?..wow..pathetic...

a simple "I`ve owned one-played on one etc, and did`nt like its sound and would recomend aganst it" would be fine...but all this childish crap you guys are posting, is really a joke..you look retarded....
but then again..whats to say any of you are actually adults?...hummm....I may be onto something?..LOL..

either way, I shall rock on...have fun trash talking on the net, while others are moving "forward"..LOL
actually you're the one looking retarded.
First off .... I guaruntee you I can play an amp 15 minutes and pretty much know about it and how it sounds.
The fact that you can't means nothing other than you can't ...... I can.
I have infinitely more experience than you with amps.

You think you're not being insulting with your snotty 'tube snob' remarks?
I'm not a tube snob and have actually had a few SS amps I liked a lot.
But all the line 6 stuff I've played thru including a spider amp didn't sound very good. I didn't say anything before but since you've decided to act all superior when you're just a part time amateur made me change my mind.

That's not to say it won't do for a cheap amp ..... but it's a blah sounding amp.
You're an amateur ..... you don't really know much about it.
Enjoy your amp ...... I'm sure it will do very well for what you're going to use it for and you should be happy with it.

But quit with the 'tube snob' nonsense ..... you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

actually you're the one looking retarded.
First off .... I guaruntee you I can play an amp 15 minutes and pretty much know about it and how it sounds.
The fact that you can't means nothing other than you can't ...... I can.
I have infinitely more experience than you with amps.

You think you're not being insulting with your snotty 'tube snob' remarks?
I'm not a tube snob and have actually had a few SS amps I liked a lot.
But all the line 6 stuff I've played thru including a spider amp didn't sound very good. I didn't say anything before but since you've decided to act all superior when you're just a part time amateur made me change my mind.

That's not to say it won't do for a cheap amp ..... but it's a blah sounding amp.
You're an amateur ..... you don't really know much about it.
Enjoy your amp ...... I'm sure it will do very well for what you're going to use it for and you should be happy with it.

But quit with the 'tube snob' nonsense ..... you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

We can go round and round until the cows come home, and the FACTS will remain the same..you entered the thread/convo with childish, insulting, ignorant uneducated post period..go back and look..maybe your brain is just getting fried and you dont remember..who knows...either way, if you only spent 15 minutes trying to dial in a spider 6, then your an idiot period..you simply gave up too quickly, I`m thinking its just WAY too advanced for ya..you preffer a simple set of 4, maybe 5 turn knobs..anything beyond that frustrates you, do to your lack of patients and ability..

here`s your first post in this thread...(clue number one, you know NOTHING about them)

POST 1 (first sign that your clueless when it comes to the spider 4)
"The spider head has to be run in stereo?

I find that hard to believe."

Here`s your second post..(childish, insulting, and un educated..obviously)
POST 2
"When you need harsh, brittle, fizzy, one dimensional, lifeless tone a Line 6 amp will always beat a tube amp."

Your third post..(you dont even know how to hook it up, so has it ever occured to you, that alot of others were mistaken as well??....duh!..LOL...and look at the second half from the same post..you barrowed one, then hooked it up wrong..ignorance...but yeah, your an amp expert.maybe you should fess up to your pals whom you barrowed thier line 6 from, and let them know you may have damaged their amp from hooking it up wrong, due to your ignorance!!..no wait, that would you would have to be honest, and we know that aint gonna happen..sad.!!....)

POST 3
"That's because most people don't go to the store and test drive an amp and then purchase it when they believe that it sounds like shit."...That's bullshit. I really wanted to like Line 6 amps because it would be very handy to have multiple tones in one package. I've borrowed Line 6 amps from people and they just sound horrible no matter how they are adjusted. This is sad because I am usually able to coax decent/usable tones from crappy gear."

your forth post..keep in mind everyone, that this clown did`nt even know how to properly hook it up..and we are to believe he someone knew how to make all the poper adjustments (in 15 minutes or less..LOL) for a perticular sound!! now thats FUNNY as hell, I dont care who you are..LOL!!!)

POST 4
"It's not my credibility that's in question here being that you are the one that ignored the negative reviews and bought an overpriced digital practice amp.
Anyone that actually knows me and that have seen some of the complex guitar rigs that I've run in past decades would laugh right in your face for saying something so ignorant
."

LOL @ the above.."complex amps" yeah...okay, ya did`nt even know how the speaker was suppose to be hooked up..obviously you did`nt even read the manual, but again, you somehow knew how to make every adjustment posible on it...in 15 mnutes or less...I mean really..can you posibley look any more like an outright LIAR at this point? I honestly do not see how???..LOL!!!

POST 5...
"Congrats! With every post you've managed to dig yourself deeper and deeper into a pit of ignorance. It doesn't surprise me at all that you own an overpriced guitar to go with your overpriced toy amp. I pity your ears."

well...what to say about that....my god..your hit, your done, you`ve been slammed, schooled etc...seriously, ya really need to pack it in, and take a walk....you`ve been OWNED... :)

as I said previous..you have absolutly NO credibility with me what so ever..you`ve made it VERY clear that you are a liar, with absolutly NO personal experiance with a spider 4 hd150...sorry, it was YOUR words, not mine that PROVED it...

:)

I give what I get...I get respect, I give respect..i get a respectable opinnion, i reply with a "thank you"..
but when it comes to you, your just a trash talking idiot...why do you keep wasting your time posting in my thread?...

EVERYTHING...you see in this pic, except the marshal amp, and the instruments, belong to me...not seen in the pic is my 24 channel mixer board, and a bunch of other various equiptment..I ran sound for these guys, who played at MY party, I had for a friend who passed away...the mics, the mic stands, PA, cabs, monitors, mixer board, main PA amp, EQ, light tree (which is my smallest light setup, did`nt have room for the truss/es) etc etc etc..were/are all mine...

so trust me..I am not in the least bit impressed with your "complex" amp setups...I`m miles beyond amp configurations....LOL...

I hired three bands that day..a blues band, a rock band, and a metal band...this is a pic of the rock band..(yea, pic does NO justice, but just saying I`m FAR from a newbie when it comes to sound enginering and amp configurations.LOL)..(I`m the guy holding the camera)..
View attachment 78487

not a pic, but a VERY short video taken from on top of my building while the blues band was playing on all my equiptment..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDYd3GCdOmk

okay, with all that said, I`m about done wth the pissing match...this shit is for kids man, and I aint diggin it...

We can go round and round until the cows come home, and the FACTS will remain the same..you entered the thread/convo with childish, insulting, ignorant uneducated post period..go back and look..maybe your brain is just getting fried and you dont remember..who knows...either way, if you only spent 15 minutes trying to dial in a spider 6, then your an idiot period..you simply gave up too quickly, I`m thinking its just WAY too advanced for ya..you preffer a simple set of 4, maybe 5 turn knobs..anything beyond that frustrates you, do to your lack of patients and ability..

here`s your first post in this thread...(clue number one, you know NOTHING about them)

Here`s your second post..(childish, insulting, and un educated..obviously)
POST 2
"When you need harsh, brittle, fizzy, one dimensional, lifeless tone a Line 6 amp will always beat a tube amp."

Your third post..(you dont even know how to hook it up, so has it ever occured to you, that alot of others were mistaken as well??....duh!..LOL...and look at the second half from the same post..you barrowed one, then hooked it up wrong..ignorance...but yeah, your an amp expert.maybe you should fess up to your pals whom you barrowed thier line 6 from, and let them know you may have damaged their amp from hooking it up wrong, due to your ignorance!!..no wait, that would you would have to be honest, and we know that aint gonna happen..sad.!!....)

POST 3
"That's because most people don't go to the store and test drive an amp and then purchase it when they believe that it sounds like shit."...That's bullshit. I really wanted to like Line 6 amps because it would be very handy to have multiple tones in one package. I've borrowed Line 6 amps from people and they just sound horrible no matter how they are adjusted. This is sad because I am usually able to coax decent/usable tones from crappy gear."

your forth post..keep in mind everyone, that this clown did`nt even know how to properly hook it up..and we are to believe he someone knew how to make all the poper adjustments (in 15 minutes or less..LOL) for a perticular sound!! now thats FUNNY as hell, I dont care who you are..LOL!!!)

POST 4
"It's not my credibility that's in question here being that you are the one that ignored the negative reviews and bought an overpriced digital practice amp.
Anyone that actually knows me and that have seen some of the complex guitar rigs that I've run in past decades would laugh right in your face for saying something so ignorant
."

LOL @ the above.."complex amps" yeah...okay, ya did`nt even know how the speaker was suppose to be hooked up..obviously you did`nt even read the manual, but again, you somehow knew how to make every adjustment posible on it...in 15 mnutes or less...I mean really..can you posibley look any more like an outright LIAR at this point? I honestly do not see how???..LOL!!!

POST 5...
"Congrats! With every post you've managed to dig yourself deeper and deeper into a pit of ignorance. It doesn't surprise me at all that you own an overpriced guitar to go with your overpriced toy amp. I pity your ears."

well...what to say about that....my god..your hit, your done, you`ve been slammed, schooled etc...seriously, ya really need to pack it in, and take a walk....you`ve been OWNED... :)

as I said previous..you have absolutly NO credibility with me what so ever..you`ve made it VERY clear that you are a liar, with absolutly NO personal experiance with a spider 4 hd150...sorry, it was YOUR words, not mine that PROVED it...

:)

I give what I get...I get respect, I give respect..i get a respectable opinnion, i reply with a "thank you"..
but when it comes to you, your just a trash talking idiot...why do you keep wasting your time posting in my thread?...

Dude, you're yelling at the wrong person. Lt Bob is the wrong target. That Line 6 has buzzed your brain loose. :D

Here's what I think is happening....you want a better amp, but for whatever reason didn't get one, so now you're in full fight mode to justify settling on an inferior amp. "Tube snobs" exist for a reason - because tube amps pretty much universally sound better than SS in any situation. They're not haters, they're realists.

Well ...... since I didn't say that you're full of crap.
Here's a quote of my first post:
I think it's probably possible to get good sounds outta them.
For one thing mjb says he does and mjb knows a little bit 'bout amps.

But you'll have to learn to use it.
I had to play over one that was part of the backline at a gig and the sounds that EVERYone was getting out of it just sucked BAD!!

But by the end of the set I'd managed to make it acceptable and that was tweaking an unfamiliar amp while while playing, so I imagine if I could sit down and fool with one I could get it fairly good.

That was actually a positive encouraging comment that said that it should be a decent amp ..... I didn't even say a word about stereo nor did I say anything negative about the amp AT ALL! I only said the guys there didn't seem to know how to make it sound good but I got it to sound decent ...... so who are you talking to?
And after that I didn't even make anymore comments until you started getting insulting.

As for it being too complicated an amp for me ..... HAHAHAHAHAHA what a dumb thing to say. :D

YOU'RE the one being argumentative and insulting to me at least, accusing me of saying things I didn't even say.
And yes ..... I probably know more about that amp than YOU do as to how to use it and set it ...... don't really much care what you believe but you're supposed to be this honorable man ..... a man of God and you actually gripe at me for saying things I didn't even say? Essentially lying about what i said?!?!??

What a load.
I'm sure it's gonna be a decent amp for you and enjoy it and the good deal you got.

Don't lie about what I said anymore ............. get your facts straight.

Oh ..... and it's spelled patience.

Last edited:
Al P - glad you got the controller, it will help a lot when using the amp live.

Anyone who tried previous Line 6 Spider versions (original, 2 or 3) - L6 has come a long way with their modeling and FX. 'Buzzy' 'Raspy' 'Harsh' usually refer to high distortion/gain settings. Use a stompbox to get those types of sounds. The advantage of the Line 6 Spider amps is the ability to not be a 'one trick pony'. If all you need and want is warm tube distortion, go ahead and get the tube amp of your dreams.

When I saw Yes last time, guitarist Steve Howe (hope no one wants to argue about his skill and sounds) ran his guitars through dual Line 6 DT50 amps - these are combo tube/digital. He seemed quite satisfied with the built-in effects, I didn't notice him using any stompbox other than a wah, but he did switch to different amp settings frequently.

Al P - glad you got the controller, it will help a lot when using the amp live.

Anyone who tried previous Line 6 Spider versions (original, 2 or 3) - L6 has come a long way with their modeling and FX. 'Buzzy' 'Raspy' 'Harsh' usually refer to high distortion/gain settings. Use a stompbox to get those types of sounds. The advantage of the Line 6 Spider amps is the ability to not be a 'one trick pony'. If all you need and want is warm tube distortion, go ahead and get the tube amp of your dreams.

When I saw Yes last time, guitarist Steve Howe (hope no one wants to argue about his skill and sounds) ran his guitars through dual Line 6 DT50 amps - these are combo tube/digital. He seemed quite satisfied with the built-in effects, I didn't notice him using any stompbox other than a wah, but he did switch to different amp settings frequently.
I'm sure .... I referred to your experience with the amp when i said it should sound good.

My only issue with apl is him attacking me for something someone else said. I didn't even say much in this thread at all other than to say it ought to be a decent amp.

But there's no doubt in my mind that eventually modelers will take over the amp market as the quality of their sounds is advancing by leaps and bounds.
They now have that Kemper (or something like that ) modeling amp that really has my interest.

Last edited:
Lt.bob..hey man..I was`nt quoting you at all....you have been perfectly cool, honest etc in this thread..its that other dude I was quoting, and arguing with..sorry ya thought I was reffering to you..your cool man...

all them quotes are from guitargodgt & ocnor...or atleast, when tired as hell last night i thought they were..LOL

again, Lt.Bob, you have been one of the few respectfull, honest people who have posted in ths thread, that I have absolutly NO problem with what so ever...

EDIT:..just looked back, and yeah I guess ya did jump in in post 47..not sure why, unless you thought I was pointing my post at you..which I most definantly was`nt...
either way, I`d like to think were cool, and would preffer to write it off, as a misunderstanding between us..I`ve never had a problem with you here before, but instead, read some cool replys from ya..

Last edited:
okay, if everyone really must know the full story, for pete sakes..

first off...shut up greg..LOL..If I was unhappy with the amp i could have taken it back for a full refund..still can..(I like ya, and would preffer to continue liking ya..you honest grumpy bastard..LOL)

I`ll try and make it somewhat short..

I`ve already done the band thing back in the late 80`s throughout the 90`s, toured michigan etc..been there done that..have no interest in getting real serious again..

that said...this past year of my life has been hands down the worst..by FAR..not going to go into it..

anyway...I ran across a couple old school chums I have`nt seen in probrably 20 years.., got to talking and they mentioned that they like to get together with a drummer friend of theirs on the weekends, and just jam for fun..(the one guy plays bass, and is very experianced, the other is newbie guitarest)..nothing real serious..obviously..anyway that got me interested as I could really use some fun time so to speak..

long story short, we pick a time, I provided my/our bike shop to practise/jam in, and we met up a few saterdays go...it turns out, the guitarest only has a 20watt amp..so we set it on top of a small table so we could hear him (hinde site..we should have put it UNDER the table..but thats another story..LOL)..
at any rate...he has a 100watt fender head, but no cab..so after that night, I started searching CL for a cab for the guy (I was`nt gonna buy it self, but just trying to help him find one)..
anyway, CL was a wash so I ended up at GC`s site looking at their cabs, used etc..next thing I know, I`m looking at their amps, next thing I know, I`m scoping out the line 6 amp...

Well after searching the internet high and low..reading on SEVERAL different sites about the line 6, I decided I might wanna try it out.. then the newbie guitarest could just use my old rig for now..(which I`ve got ALOT of compliments on its sound over the years..it`s a half stack of a different brand)..

Now here`s the thing,,I have discovered after our first little jam session, that these guys like to party..HARD..LOL...I`m not saying fall down drunk..but they did end up with a pretty good size empty can pile..and the room full of green smoke....LOL

its not that I`m worried someone may get hammered and fall into my equiptment, but rather, I`m such a picky bastard when it comes to taking care of my stuff, reguardless of what I paid for it..I just could`nt see breaking out big bucks, simply to get "another" amp then draging it around every weekend.....

i did not pick up this amp to record tracks with (although I think it`d do just fine), not looking to be a rock star... dont care about wowing the local musician crowd etc..but rather, crank the hell out of it, and rock some hard hitting riffs with the drummer, a bassist..and (in small letters, a newbie guitarest, who is now playing on my other amp)..LOL

Last edited:
Just jamming, you could have gone with the Spider 4 75! I found mine plenty loud enough to keep up with practices in a 6 piece band.

Just jamming, you could have gone with the Spider 4 75! I found mine plenty loud enough to keep up with practices in a 6 piece band.
Your probrably right...infact, I`m sure you are..but..it is fun knowing ya got a bit more power incase ya end up outside etc..LOL
We`ve been known to have some pretty loud partys..to say the least..and although I could always throw a 57 on my cab, and run er through the PA, I`d kinda preffer to just push my sound from my amp directly givin the choice..
MJ..not sure if you seen the short video clip i posted, but anyway, I had just setup the PA etc for our blues band, and they were just doing a warm up set..we had`nt even finished cooking dinner yet (you can see smoke from the pig roaster on the left)..anyway, that video was taken around 5pm`ish?..it was`nt until around 8pm that most people started showing up..we had 105 more bikes show up (I had a probate go count..LOL), and ended up having to move a bunch of the cars/trucks off that area, and moving the tape back about 150ft..it took alot of PA/sound to rock that whole area before it was over..LOL...

Last edited:
No doubt you needed some wattage. I believe in running everything through the PA - it's the only way to get a truly balanced sound throughout a venue..

No doubt you needed some wattage. I believe in running everything through the PA - it's the only way to get a truly balanced sound throughout a venue..

TRUE!

in that clip, thats what I did..
but I`d still like to be able to crank an amp up loud enough to push the sound directly out if needed/wanted..(during a for fun outside jam session, obviously not the best way for a more professional over all band sound)..

Back