opinnions on a Line 6 spider IV?

No doubt you needed some wattage. .

Hell yes! Here's my wattage. :)
20130218_134734_zps92d8ea82.jpg

POST 1 (first sign that your clueless when it comes to the spider 4)
"The spider head has to be run in stereo?

I find that hard to believe."

lol.

That was me dude.

like I said, I never owned the head.

But I have never seen a head that had to be run in stereo and still find it hard to believe that you have to run it that way.

Last edited:
Haha thanks I think. :D

No, that a Les Paul. The ES-335 is a thin f-hole hollowbody thing.

yeah your right.not sure what I was thinking..I got an old ES myself (not a 335), but it does have the F holes...

anyway, nice guitar man..

yeah your right.not sure what I was thinking..I got an old ES myself (not a 335), but it does have the F holes...

anyway, nice guitar man..

Thanks. I used to have a 335 for about a month. Well I had it with intent to buy it from my buddy, but changed my mind. It would feedback too bad with higher gain amps. Cool guitars, but not practical for me. Maybe there was just something wrong with that one. There's a song on my new album called "Murder at the Drive In". The 335 is all over that song.

I hear that..the one I have was my dads.. it was gave to him as an anniversary present from my mother back in 63/64?...anyway, yeah, I tried to run it with a old ross distortion pedel on an old peavey amp when I was still a young`in, and there just was`nt any shutting up the low end feed back (or the high for that matter)...which sucks really, cause the thing has GREAT action IMO..

my dad never had a problem playing it in a band years ago, but he was playing clean and not very loud really..

now whats this album you speak of? where can it be heard?
EDIT: never mind....stupid question, I see the link in your sig now..

Probably just the hollow-body factor. I had a Gretsch Clipper I didn't hold on to for that same reason.

Well yeah, hollow bodies naturally resonate and feedback, but this one was worse than usual. One of the guys in my band has two ES-135s that don't feedback as bad with higher gain amps. Maybe one of the pickups was microphonic. I don't know. I don't miss it either.

OK, I won't tell anyone you use Pod Farm 2 (on your studio equipment list) ! :laughings: The Spider IV series models and sounds are directly derivative of PF2.

lol. I already explained that.

It's great as a practice tool and as a way to have the guitarist play along to the drummer without an amp blaring at the same time and it doesn't eat up any mic pres in the process.

I own only one amp: the Line6 Spider IV 30 and I can get a pretty bright range of guitar tones from it.
I never known playing on another amp (except for virtual amps) but I suppose that for the price range it doesn't has to do under for the other great amp and cab brands. :)

As I've said, I have the Spider lV at 75 watts and a single 12" speaker. This weekend, I was playing a charity gig at the local homeless shelter and the amp was on a folding chair. It slipped off and hit the floor tumbling a few times and landing on its back. The whole time I was playing and the thing kept working.

The amp sounds good for what I use it for. It is easy to move around and has lots of built-in effects which frees me from carting my pedals around for simple gigs. I've used it in church, my studio and for outdoor gigs and really, I can't complain.

OH.... Did I mention, it's indestructable? All this for $125.00 off Kijiji in new condition.

I don't know what Kijiji is, but that's a good deal. Now get an amp stand!

MJ, its sorta like CL, but a canada version...free classifieds..

and yeah, pick up some kind of stand for that baby....glad to hear it survived i though!.

P.S..last night I officially fell IN LOVE with my line 6 amp..
last night I ROCKED IT and absolutly LOVED the sound!..so far for the heavier stuff were doing right now.., this thing is doing just fine..

we played everything from 38 special hold on loosely (not a song I perticularly like much myself, but they wanted to play it.about the only soft song we did), off spring-self esteem, black sabbath-electric funeral, type o negetive-black number 1, to zep-dazed and confused etc etc etc.., and she frick`in rocked the building man..LOL..

just to add...my bro seen/heard it last saterday for the first time, and the first thing he said was "line 6 huh.."..not in an impressed way, but rather, it sounded like a "bummer" kinda voice.LOL..he mentioned that his brother (who is a WAY better guitarest then me)..had one, but that it was an older one, not the spider 4..anyway, last sat i just ran it using the already built in model options "hi gain, metal, insane" etc...I mostly ran it on the hi gain red which sounded "ok", but nothing special..i though it was a bit boxy, and shallow..anyway, since then, I`ve I scopped out some mids, worked the lows & tweaked treble a bit, and a few other tweaks, and last night was a whole different story..it ROCKED!!..he`s now a big time line 6 fan...

I wonder how many people out there are just using one of the various built in pre-set amp model effects, and not tweaking them in..cause I`ll tell ya, it turns into a beast if ya spend some time tweaking it..IMO...so far it seams like most of the various options on the first knob..LOL..are kinda shallow, but can be brung to life with a little bit of adjustment..

and hey MJ, your right man, that pedal is a life saver...I setup 4 options for now (a,b,c,d), so i was able to quickly adjust for a given song etc..really handy!..

I swear I can still hear my split harmonics singing for a month of sundays, that and the digidig digidig DAAWG low end....LOL

EDIT...just got to thinking, that when I picked up my current guitar about 4 months ago, i thought it sounded a bit boxy on my old/other amp-stack (NOT a line 6), and had to re adjust my old amp to make it sound a way i liked, so in deffence of the line 6`s pre sets, it may be the perticular Dimarzio pickups on my current guitar..I`m hoping to get my old guitar back up and running soon, and will be able to tell for sure if it`s just the pickups on my current guitar causing the bit of a boxy sounds with the built in pre sets or not..my old/other guitar always had a smoother, more rounded sound then my current one..

Last edited:
Note - one thing I have heard about the Spider 4, if you are using really high output active pickups, you may have problems when cranking the guitar volume knobs up. To get around it, run the guitar through any stomp box first (not one that has 100% by-pass).

Most people who don't like the Spider's sounds haven't taken the time to dial them in, as you say. As you turn up the volume, some adjustments are needed, too - learn how to save the adjusted sounds to your user banks, and you're all set.

In the Beatles band, I used 4 user banks:
1) Clean acoustic, acoustic/chorus, acoustic with scooped highs
2) Vox low distortion, higher distortion, lead volume, clean acoustic
3) Dirty, dirty with lots of treble, dirty more volume
4) Clean keyboard, hammond organ with distortion, organ with chorus

Trick is to program your sounds to cut down on any between-song adjustments, just select your bank and ready to go.

I liked the Spider IV for about a week then it just didn't do anything for me anymore. The stories I ignored about them being sterile were true and I tried many different guitars and the thing was glitchy if you turn the overdrive up to high.

Back